X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Electric Water Heater

OSC, you make some great points. I'm not worried about helping someone out because that might cause me to lose money in the future. As far as the DIY book arguement, great point again-can't say anything on that. I really don't want someone to get hurt. Sauk 98 was a unique case. He had some good, practical electrical experience but for all I knew, he was just a R.N. I had no idea what his skills were so I had to treat as such. Maybe I do need to suck it up and let people take responsibilty into their own hands-right, wrong or indifferent.

Sauk 98, you were a great DIY'r to help out. You were respectful, kept us updated and never claimed to be something you're not. I'll help you out anyday.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Sauk, For fun try to carefully cut open the bad breaker and see what happened to it. You'll be trashing it soon anyway.

I'm glad he has things working and does have a respect for electricity. This forum sure would be a sad place if we ever read about a member getting really zapped or hurt some other way.

Comment

Thanks for all the support guys. Oh and by the way I am an R.N. But been around the trades for a long time, worked construction to get through college.
        I look forward to asking more questions in the future and as slim as the chance may be if I can help any of you please do not hesitate to ask.
        This is a great forum
        Please check out my web page
        www.woodandwax.net

Comment

You should have called a qualified electricians for root out you problem.

Comment

Originally posted by yasudaplumbing View Post
            When you check for voltage at each leg, was the feed wire disconnected from the heater?

If it is still connected while checking for voltage you may get an improper reading.

It's possible only one of the legs has 120v while the the other one is dead, and if you do a voltage check while the wires are still twisted with the heater wires, the live wire voltage would backfeed thru the element/thermostat and simulate 120v at the dead wire.

This happened to me before.

Tracy

This man knows his stuff. You are getting are probably getting a back feed through the elements. If this is the case you will read 0 volts when going across both legs. It would be the equivalent of putting both leads on one terminal.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
              Be sure the new breaker is an exact match to the old one. Some may seem right but have slight differences and won't work for you. You can connect a Volt meter to the 2 screws on the breaker (be sure it's open) and then flip it on. You should read about 240 Volts. My bet is that the tie which connects both poles came apart. This can be internal with some breakers where you can't see it. Do be careful with your working on this.

Actually, since you changed out the water heater, you should make sure your wire size is correct and get the breaker that is rated for the new heater.

Comment

Originally posted by sauk_98 View Post
                New breaker fixed the problem.
                Thanks everyone
                Awesome, I guess I got into this thread way too late. I'm glad you were able to fix your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                  you know i really liked how everyone helped sauk98 out and gave advice and did not go the "call a pro" route that has been all to common around here latly.
                  Great comment oldchevy!!!! I would rep you if this board allowed it.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    OSC, you make some great points. I'm not worried about helping someone out because that might cause me to lose money in the future. As far as the DIY book arguement, great point again-can't say anything on that. I really don't want someone to get hurt. Sauk 98 was a unique case. He had some good, practical electrical experience but for all I knew, he was just a R.N. I had no idea what his skills were so I had to treat as such. Maybe I do need to suck it up and let people take responsibilty into their own hands-right, wrong or indifferent.

Sauk 98, you were a great DIY'r to help out. You were respectful, kept us updated and never claimed to be something you're not. I'll help you out anyday.

Hey, Sauk 98 and I seem very similar.

Just kidding... Happy New Years Ben

Comment

Originally posted by sauk_98 View Post
                      Thanks for all the support guys. Oh and by the way I am an R.N. But been around the trades for a long time, worked construction to get through college.
                      I look forward to asking more questions in the future and as slim as the chance may be if I can help any of you please do not hesitate to ask.
                      This is a great forum
                      What were the chances someone would have guessed that? I'm glad you got it fixed. I'm surprised no one has mentioned that a pressure relief valve needs to be installed and to get your new heater inspected. I got thrashed for doing my home improvement project. I'm glad your expanding your knowledge of the trades. I worked in the trades to pay my way too.

Comment

Working...
                      X