PEX & Bored Holes-Sleeve Required?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PEX & Bored Holes-Sleeve Required?

What is common practice when pulling PEX tubing?
    I can't make heads or tails of IRC code vs Wirsbo Manual.
    Strict code interpretation as far as I can tell is:"follow MFGRS. instructions"
    Wirsbo Manual says" Consult LOCAL building codes on where & how to drill load bearing construction"
    A plastic sleave at every penetration would require 1-3/8" holes everywhere. That means ruining tons of expensive hole saws. Posibility of compromising wood frame etc etc.
    ALSO - If you jamb a plastic thing in the hole how do you properly caulk it to pass "FIRE CODE" stuff?
    I can't imagine drilling 1-3/8" holes thru 5+ inches of plate just to run a 1/2" PEX line.
    What do you do?

Re: PEX & Bored Holes-Sleeve Required?

Most codes require holes drilled in structural members to be drilled in the middle 1/3 of the joist and no closer to the ends that 6" that means that you can bore a 3" hole in the middle of a 2 x 10. As for sleeveing the hole, the IPC says that a "hole is not a hanger" so technically allowing the pex to be supported by the hole drilled is incorrect. Sleeving is a good idea because it not only supports the pipe better but keeps it from creeping when the pipe expands and contracts. We use inexpensive "micky mouse ears"
    sigpic

Comment

We are NEVER,EVER,allowed to drill anything more than a 1 1/2 hole in the center span of 2X floor joist.These are also only allowed in the top 2/3's.Up to 2 9/16" can be drilled in the outer thirds,again as long as it's in the upper two thirds and away from the 45 degree angle of repose of the bearing point designed to carry the joist.

TGI's are allowed to be drilled out larger the farther away you get from their bearing points.

Amazing the differences in codes.

Any one care to stand on a 2x4 8' in the air and bet me which cut from the bottom is going to give way first.The center or the outside.

BISCUIT,YOUR UP

Comment

Well I passed inspection on my first ever PEX install. But mainly he because barely looks at anything. The mouse ear hangers seem like hard plastic that could scratch just as well as bare wood in a TJI holes. (They make sense to me ONLY when the run goes perfectly strait thru the hole which is almost never)
        Anyway - I sleeved nothing and ran 1/2" pex thru holes just like NM cable. I'll know in 10 years if that was a big mistake I guess.
        He also made it clear in no uncertain terms that i could not, must not, drill even the smallest hole in my 5x12 GluLam without "Certified Stampped Engineering" - Crazy

Comment

What? You cannot drill through laminated beams?

Kidding........
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Why drill holes...I just notch them with my chainsaw The Other Rick
            The Other Rick

Comment

Thanks to the energy code we hav'nt been able to frame anything other than interior partitions with 2 x 4"s for years now. For the same reason we try to avoid pipes in exterior walls.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post

BISCUIT,YOUR UP
                Pre-engineered laminated beam and joist manufacturers have very strict guidelines for quantity,size and location of any penetrations made on site. One should alway follow these.

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                X