X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DWV Pressure Test Advice

I am wondering how to rig up a 5PSI pressure test on my DWV system. I can't seem to even find a pressure gauge online to buy that makes sense to me.
    I have a good bike pump with a gauge that works great for inflating "test balloons" but I don't understand how I use it or an air compressor with any of the gauges I see.
    One article I found shows a combination test plugs W/Gauge but I havn't been able to find one by web searching.

I did a successfull 28' Head water test but I'm afraid to leave it long enough because one of the 1-1/2" plugs was working it's way loose getting ready to spill tons of water all over which would be no big deal in summer but would cause a freezing mess rite now.

Update: I have my Cherne holding everything back at my main cleanout/test T 18" outside foundation. Water is up to problem area of kitchen sink where I have a red oatey wing nut plug jambed in as tight as possible. I have cut a special stick and jambed it up against the sink when it tries to pop out.

Going up on roof to fill to brim. No guts no water filled kitchen!
    Question: Does appx. 27 - 28' height create the same amount of pressure wether its a 1-1/2", 2" or 3" VTR ? Or is it all about pipe dia. volume etc etc?

Thanks.

Re: DWV Pressure Test Advice

Originally posted by 'Stormin View Post
    I am wondering how to rig up a 5PSI pressure test on my DWV system. I can't seem to even find a pressure gauge online to buy that makes sense to me.
    I have a good bike pump with a gauge that works great for inflating "test balloons" but I don't understand how I use it or an air compressor with any of the gauges I see.
    One article I found shows a combination test plugs W/Gauge but I havn't been able to find one by web searching.

I did a successfull 28' Head water test but I'm afraid to leave it long enough because one of the 1-1/2" plugs was working it's way loose getting ready to spill tons of water all over which would be no big deal in summer but would cause a freezing mess rite now.

Update: I have my Cherne holding everything back at my main cleanout/test T 18" outside foundation. Water is up to problem area of kitchen sink where I have a red oatey wing nut plug jambed in as tight as possible. I have cut a special stick and jambed it up against the sink when it tries to pop out.

Going up on roof to fill to brim. No guts no water filled kitchen!
    Question: Does appx. 27 - 28' height create the same amount of pressure wether its a 1-1/2", 2" or 3" VTR ? Or is it all about pipe dia. volume etc etc?

Thanks.
    The pipe pressure is the same regardless of the pipe size. A rough calculation is height X .50 or a 28' head would be approximately 14 psig.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Your local plumbing supply should have the adaptor, gauge and schrader valve neeed to adapt to the pipe. A 5lb gauge can be had at any plumbing supply outlet for a few bucks. Seems like you're greatly overcomplicating the whole process here.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 'Stormin View Post

Thanks.

http://www.jrsmith.com/_marketing/mk..._07spm1145.pdf
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

YES - I do overcomplicate - because I never know what the guy will look at. I spent many hours fixing little leaks because I didn't know that threaded ABS fittings WILL NOT SEAL! Inspector barely glanced at anything. I don't even know if he looked at test plug in main outdoor cleanout. And I realise now the this guy does NOT go on roofs or down in crawl spaces. For all he knows I have 3/4" sewer lines under house! I could have had NO cleanouts and still passed his scrutiny.
          Next time I will try the Bowl Wax on the threaded ABS fittings- Thanks everyone.

Comment

I know it's tool late but yea size does matter. As someone else posted 28' is about 14 psi. The numbers from Scuba class was 15psi for every 33' of height/dive. But.... while the pressure is the same at any given height in the building the force pushing the test plugs out is a function of the diameter of the plug. ( Pi*(R squared))* PSI to be specific. This means at 5 psi, you have about 62 pounds of force pushing out on your 4" test plugs and only 15 pounds on your 2" plugs. At 14 psi it's at about 170 pounds vs 43. So yea, size does matter.

Comment

Originally posted by baderd View Post
              I know it's tool late but yea size does matter. As someone else posted 28' is about 14 psi. The numbers from Scuba class was 15psi for every 33' of height/dive. But.... while the pressure is the same at any given height in the building the force pushing the test plugs out is a function of the diameter of the plug. ( Pi*(R squared))* PSI to be specific. This means at 5 psi, you have about 62 pounds of force pushing out on your 4" test plugs and only 15 pounds on your 2" plugs. At 14 psi it's at about 170 pounds vs 43. So yea, size does matter.
              Utah was referring to the riser pipe used to create head pressure. He is correct that the pressure would be the same regardless of pipe size.
              the dog

Comment

ABS threaded will seal and is required by code.They make different temporary caps that you can install to hold your head pressure.The white I.P.O. plugs glued on your sink and lavatory stubouts the day before work great.The wing nut type dollar plugs for water closets are a joke,the nibco two piece works good on w/c's.They look like a coarse thread,raised head cleanout plug screwed into a thick rubber plug that expands.Tie wire the plugs around the backside of the san-tees or 90's as an added precaution.

You can use beeswax on your threaded ABS fittings to get them to stop leaking.You need teflon tape on your male threads,pipe dope alone will give you problems.

I've filled up systems with higher heads,you should be fine

Comment

Hard to find leaks with air.Absolutely way too much time looking for a leak with soap.I've never used it for house systems.

Comment

Working...
                  X