priming the pipe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• priming the pipe

i have had alot of people over the years tell me that you should run the a sink for a minute or two before you flush soild waste so it will slide though the pipes easier with less chance of a back up??? is there any truth to this? or is this just a myth from the days we frist went to low flow?

just for the recorded i have never had a problem.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Re: priming the pipe

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
    i have had alot of people over the years tell me that you should run the a sink for a minute or two before you flush soild waste so it will slide though the pipes easier with less chance of a back up??? is there any truth to this? or is this just a myth from the days we frist went to low flow?

just for the recorded i have never had a problem.

I actually had someone ask me one time if flushing a small rag down a toilet, will that help clean the pipes?? WTF

Never heard of your senario....sounds like one of those myths
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

on a kitchen sink with a disposal, it's very good practice to run the water for 10 seconds prior to turning on the disposal. also keep the water on for another 10 seconds after grinding. finally feed the disposal as if you were chewing and eating the food. don't choke your disposal. the water needs to help carry the waste down the pipe. all food with no water is a heimlic/ stoppage waiting to happen.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

umm rick, how do i put this nicely, i ummm ment from the south side of the body, not a disposal, but you do bring up good point about them.
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
          umm rick, how do i put this nicely, i ummm ment from the south side of the body, not a disposal, but you do bring up good point about them.
          ah, i see. the answer i have for you is to buy joeys bidet seat and you won't need to worry about paper.

then i won't need to worry about joeys new gift collecting dust

there are 2 isolated condo buildings that i work at that this is true.

the powder room low flow 1.6gpf toilets are isolated from the rest of the dwv system by 40' and 80' of piping. so because of this i have them either pre-flush, double flush or keep the lav sink running.

there is no real way to fix these 2 isolated issues. the original design is the problem. of course a 3.5 gallon toilet would fix it.

so unless you have real bad plumbing or live in a florida palace, you'll be fine.

buy joeys gift and i'll be better

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
            I actually had someone ask me one time if flushing a small rag down a toilet, will that help clean the pipes?? WTF
            From a engineering standpoint this could work in the right situation. However you will need a rag of decent size proper texture.

Throw it in the toilet and flush quickly before it starts to absorb too much water. Flush once and let it sit there a while. Flush a second time to confirm that sanitary line is indeed stopped up. Then call a plumber (licensed) and tell him not to retrieve the stoppage but push it downstream past the first cleanout. Then he just keeps this up (adding additional cleanouts as necessary for push locations) until he pushes it into the city main.

Many hours later and you checking account ~$1,000.00 or so lighter, you have cleaner sanitary main.

Regards,
            Last edited by biscuit; 12-13-2007, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by biscuit View Post
              From a engineering standpoint this could work in the right situation. However you will need a rag of decent size proper texture.

Throw it in the toilet and flush quickly before it starts to absorb too much water. Flush once and let it sit there a while. Flush a second time to confirm that sanitary line is indeed stopped up. Then call a plumber (licensed) and tell him not to retrieve the stoppage but push it downstream past the first cleanout. Then he just keeps this up (adding additional cleanouts as necessary for push locations) until he pushes it into the city main.

Many hours later and you checking account ~$1,000.00 or so lighter, you have cleaner sanitary main.

Regards,

Brilliant, bloody brilliant. a direct page from the silvan book of screwing the customer

steve
              In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
                Brilliant, bloody brilliant. a direct page from the silvan book of screwing the customer

steve

lmao i am sure he was just joking and being sarcastic.
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Oh crap,

As OSC said, I was just being a smart ***! I did not mean for anyone to take that literally.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    there are 2 isolated condo buildings that i work at that this is true.

the powder room low flow 1.6gpf toilets are isolated from the rest of the dwv system by 40' and 80' of piping. so because of this i have them either pre-flush, double flush or keep the lav sink running.

there is no real way to fix these 2 isolated issues. the original design is the problem. of course a 3.5 gallon toilet would fix it.
                    Rick, This made me think of "The Royal Flush" where a 5 gallon pail most of the way full of water comes in handy. Before the building closes each evening flush the remote toilets and then pour a pail of additional water into each of them. That way each gets a nice big 6 gallon real flush.

Comment

Biscuit, i did take it as a joke. i guess my humorous retort wasn't that funny after all. i'll work on my timing and delivery

steve
                      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
                        i guess my humorous retort wasn't that funny after all. i'll work on my timing and delivery

bah hahahahahaha
                        funniest thing ever!!!!

yeah yeah yeah i know i know............. go stand in the corner i know....
                        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                          Rick, This made me think of "The Royal Flush" where a 5 gallon pail most of the way full of water comes in handy. Before the building closes each evening flush the remote toilets and then pour a pail of additional water into each of them. That way each gets a nice big 6 gallon real flush.

kohler just sent them 12 new colored 1 pc. toilets to replace the 3 year old ones they already have. it's not going to fix the problem, as it's 80' to the main sewer common plumbing.

the bucket trick is good, but tell that to people in their 70's-80's

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            the bucket trick is good, but tell that to people in their 70's-80's rick.
                            In that case maybe just suggest they flush, let it fill up and flush again to help wash it to the main. Everday I love my old American Standard vintage toilet with a good hefty 5 gallon flush more and more. It does know what "The Royal Flush" is about. Best part is that it never needs the bucket flush.

Comment

I have had at least two jobs where the toilets had worked fine for years and years. They then remodeled and put 1.6 gpf toilets in and began to plug lines often. In one case, I was able to jet up from the septic tank and remove a few pounds of cast iron sand and they've not called back. In another, the low flow feature of the toilet was a plastic bucket/tank/insert inside of the porcelain tank.... a 1" slot cut out of either side of it allowed water to fill the space between the plastic liner and the porcelain and added a gallon or so to a flush and has helped dramatically.... Low flo toilets make me more money than garbage disposals.
                              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X