X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Events that Increase Business

Ok... just thought about this after looking at AllClears ice pics.

What natural or man made events cause changes in volume of business for the plumbing pro.

ex.

Earthquakes, Mudslides, fires, etc.

Summer vs. winter.

I know HVAC is heavily impacted by season but wondered if plumbing was.

Re: Events that Increase Business

Earthquakes are a given for those of us out west but we also have a problem during the winter with pipe freezing. Because our climate is generally so mild every one builds for mild weather. As soon as we get a cold spell everything freezes. Earlier this year there was not a single pressure vacuum breaker available in Las Vegas because 1,000 of them spilt during the freeze.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Snow and ice around here. Get overload of calls for frozen water lines... Can not do alot of jetting when freezing temps or the jet lines freeze. Heavy amounts of snow make you work inside on a job instead of the easy access points outside.
      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

heavy rain events saturate poor drain fields, causing tanks to fill up, quite often causing a paper blockage at the lentry to the tank or possibly further back.

grease blockagesseem to less in the summer than in the winter.

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
          What natural or man made events cause changes in volume of business for the plumbing pro.
          Nov. & Dec. we sell more water heaters than the other 10 months of the year. Added stress of colder water and heavier usage during the holidays.

Heavy rain storms reap havoc on our combined sewer system.

Kitchen sink and toilet stoppages at Thanksgiving

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            Nov. & Dec. we sell more water heaters than the other 10 months of the year. Added stress of colder water and heavier usage during the holidays.

Heavy rain storms reap havoc on our combined sewer system.

Kitchen sink and toilet stoppages at Thanksgiving
            not just thanksgiving, but all big holidays, for me.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Major holidays area given, or events like mailing out coupons for 10% off service calls.

Weather can be good, rain for sump pumps etc.

Toilet stoppages, not really, I install Kohler class 5's in all my customers houses Excellent flush for an excellent cost.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

I've done a lot of stoppages on Super Bowl Sunday for the last 2 years. I've seen more water heaters during the fall here. Capacitors always seem to go out on the hottest days here for AC. As far as man made impacts-additions seem to break the laterals here. It's either the traffic in the lawn or they pour the footing on the lateral causing a break.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Spring weather always gives me around 50-75 outside faucet replacements. Spring rains always trumps sump pump replacements in combination with battery back up installs.

Whenever the temperature drops sharply into the cold climate, always triggers a ton of water heater failures which leads to replacements. I'm not choosing to do heaters much anymore; too well known for price shoppers wasting my time wanting the best price on the event.
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

The thing that increases business out here is the cold weather. That cold weather snap in January that hit Las Vegas hit us very hard out here. On a Saturday in January, the town lost power for between three and twenty hours depending on where in the town you were. Combined with the colder then usual weather, the next few weeks were a real mess. I know on Saturday, I got almost a dozen calls. On Sunday, a little over a dozen, and on Monday we got around three hundred service calls!! I said call someone else so many times it wasn't funny. Fortunately, between Tuesday and Friday, we only got another two hundred calls. That was a very long week for me.

Comment

Frozen pipes is a big one. Generally if it is dirty, nasty, hot, freezing, uncomfortable, hard or dangerous I get called.
                      Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Working...
                      X