X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lead wool use

Any disadvantages? Only poured lead a couple times and that was in school around 9 years ago. Never even dealt with lead wool. Any thoughts, tips?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Lead wool use

I pour lead joints 3 or 4 times a month. The lead wool on my truck is just for repacking old caulk (and threaded) joints to stop leaks.

Comment

It's the oakum that stops the leaks. As long as ya got lead to hold it in place yer good.

Comment

NSPC does not allow the use of lead wool.

Molten lead placed in a continuous pour and not less than 1 inch deep is required.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

And here I just found out today I've got to caulk a three inch horizontal joint on a vent stack sometime within the next few weeks at Joey's Good Samaritan building.Does LA city allow wool? I no longer own caulking ropes.

Rick,I'm going to have to borrow those caulking irons sooner than I thought.You better decide where you want to eat for lunch.If you see any packing,inner or outer irons at the swap meet I'll re-emberse you

Comment

I'm not sure lead wool is code approved anywhere but many repair products which are used are not code approved.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

adam if you need oakum, i've got a coat that will work for you

i've got the irons, make sure you are holding onto something when you get the price on the wool. they sell it like it's silk or something.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                I'm not sure lead wool is code approved anywhere but many repair products which are used are not code approved.

Mark
                Guess I better call the city

Comment

HAHA Adam! It is a small world Let me know when you guys meet up so I can get your jacket out of my car for you
                  I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    And here I just found out today I've got to caulk a three inch horizontal joint on a vent stack sometime within the next few weeks at Joey's Good Samaritan building.Does LA city allow wool? I no longer own caulking ropes.

Rick,I'm going to have to borrow those caulking irons sooner than I thought.You better decide where you want to eat for lunch.If you see any packing,inner or outer irons at the swap meet I'll re-emberse you
                    If it's a horizontal joint cut it out with a ratchet cutter and replace it with no-hub. If you can't I wouldn't suggest wool on a horizontal joint.
                    the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                      If it's a horizontal joint cut it out with a ratchet cutter and replace it with no-hub. If you can't I wouldn't suggest wool on a horizontal joint.
                      Done!!!

Comment

any PC4 & oakum users?
                        West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                        Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Hey, you really want to save some time. Pack the oakum and then cover it over with silver colored silicone
                          Been there..seen that.
                          sigpic

Comment

You have to admit. You miss the smell of hot lead. The thrill of splashing hot lead down your pants (plumbers never wore shorts 40 years ago), the explosion that occures when the big bead of swett falls from your forehead into the lead pot... It is rapidly becoming a lost art form, along with wiping a lead joint, or fabricating your own lead drum trap. All things I was taught in my youth and have thankfully had no need for in the last twenty years or so. I use my lead pot stove for cooking lobsters.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                              I use my lead pot stove for cooking lobsters.

i won't be coming to your house for dinner.
                              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Working...
                              X