Setting water heater on stand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting water heater on stand

I've noticed some plumbers set water heaters on stands. Is this just in the garage for ground clearance so it doesn't ignite combustible gas? I'm planning on installing an electric heat unit in a laundry room. Is there any new codes? I know it really depends on location, but I do not mind doing overkill. I was thinking about putting a pan under it and sitting the water heater in it. I also noticed new construction doesn't run the pressure relief pipe outside anymore. They just stub it out into the pan. Mine currently runs outside. Should I just connect to that or run it to the pan?

Re: Setting water heater on stand

The stand is to keep the pilot of a gas water heater 18" above the ground in the garage where there may be flammable fumes.We are required to run the t&p to the outside.
    Last edited by drtyhands; 12-18-2007, 12:09 AM.

Comment

believe it or not, a gas dryer in the garage also requires the 18'' height.

i very rarely see this though.

the newer, last 4 years, heaters are "fvir". (flammable vapor ignition resistant) there was talk that these didn't require stands, but i don't think that ever went through

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

What about setting it in a pan and just running the relief pipe into it? I could run it to the outside, but I heard they do not do this anymore. It is only a single story house.

Comment

Out here they require us to run them seperately.If it opens fully it is going to throw scalding water everwhere while the individual is trying to get the heater shut down.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            believe it or not, a gas dryer in the garage also requires the 18'' height.

i very rarely see this though.

rick.
            I have only seen it once at a track in El Monte but I would disagree it is a code requirement. This was addressed in the UPC Interpretation manual a few years ago and their take was it was beyond their control as the homeowner not the plumber installs the dryer. I personally believe it is because the dryer has to be turned on by a person who would smell the fuel while a furnace or water heater fires when no one is there.

If you look at Section 510.1 of the UPC it refers to a "Water heaters generating a glow, spark or flame...." while Section 308.0 of the UMC refers to "Heating and cooling equipment located in a garage and which generate a glow, spark or flame...'. Neither code addresses what you need to do for a dryer.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
            X