Compression Fitting on dishwasher still leaking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compression Fitting on dishwasher still leaking

I followed the directions from This Old House for installing a dishwasher. http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...2345-3,00.html

Everything was going fine. Until...I put a new brass compression fitting on the dishwasher water supply line. Starting out slowly, tightening with an adjustable wrench. Got it down to a fast drip. Was worried that I was going to overtighten, and so cut the first one off and got another. Got it back down to a fast drip.

Question: should I just keep tightening and not worry about overtightening, or is there another more expensive but more foolproof fitting that I can use?

Thanks for your assistance!

Re: Compression Fitting on dishwasher still leaking

I think if you tighten it up some more it will stop leaking.I know you do not need to use any teflon tape or any dope,but sometimes i use it any way especially in a situation like this.dishwaser in a tight space and maby you have hard wood floor,you dont want a leak.
    A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

Dope or teflon is an option in a compression fitting? I appreciate the advice, just want to make sure as I had heard that it shouldn't be used with compression fitting. Definately don't want any leaking even though the floor is stone...like the water to stay inside the pipes!

How likely is it that I can overtighten?

Comment

Very likey

Take it apart. Cut the compression ferrule off and install another being sure not to cross thread. And no close bends near compression nut.

Comment

Why not spend the extra money and purchase a 3/8" dishwasher supply line in braided stainless steel??? 150% better then the soft copper.

How far is the dishwasher away from the sink??
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Along with duct tape, sheetrock screws and silicone, braided supply lines have to go down in the history books as true modern marvels. I hate, let me repeat hate, using soft copper for dishwashers. Even after you get the fitting tight, theres a real good chance of mucking it up or kinking the line when you shove the dishwasher back in the hole. You can also get braided ice maker lines, washer lines, lav and toilet supplies, even 3/4 lines for hooking up a water heater. Marvelous just plain spiffy.

See I don't hate all new things, just the ones that confuse me

PS. sure wish I was on the west coast. I've already had enough of winter and it just started. Don't know why I stay here, just too stupid to move I guess. Besides all the people I hate live here.
            sigpic

Comment

Many times compression fittings leak from overtightening. You may want to cut out the nut and ferrel and give it another try.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Ensure the pipe is straight. If it's crooked enough, this will cause the compression seat to leak. I've also used pipe dope on my threads but for thread lubrication not thread sealing. Helps to ensure a tighter fit.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I am starting to hear of braid failures.I know we use them and they are very convienient.Just taking a good look at the damage they MAY cause,however rare it could be.I have installed many D/W braided lines.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    I am starting to hear of braid failures.I know we use them and they are very convienient.Just taking a good look at the damage they MAY cause,however rare it could be.I have installed many D/W braided lines.

i have seen and replaced lots of braided hoses of different manufacturers. these are primarily on 3/4'' connectors for water heaters both hot and cold.

i'm back to copper flexes for the last 3 years.

now you do have to be very careful of any kind of chlorine products around the stainless flexes as found typically inside of sink cabinets.
                    brasscraft makes the polymer braided ones that look like stainless and are more resilient to the chemical breakdown.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I agree, the stainless water heater flex lines suck, they horrible, the copper works best for this.

the only time I have ever had a braided stainless supply line fail is when the installer installed one on a low boy, and he bound up the flex to tight and after a few years it finally cracked the white 7/8 fitting on the ball cock.

More of an installer error then a product problem.
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                      X