Connecting cpvc to copper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting cpvc to copper

All of the pipes in my house are copper. The water pipes enter through the ceiling and down into the hot water heater. I have already removed the old heater and cut the pipes up high because I had to remove a leaking shut off valve. I noticed a lot of new construction houses use cpvc. Would it look odd/weird to connect cpvc to the copper pipe and run it to the hot water heater. This would be the cheaper route of course. I can solder, but I haven't done it in a while. I will probably have to waste a few couplings to practice. What do you guys do/use?

Re: Connecting cpvc to copper

Originally posted by fronty View Post
    All of the pipes in my house are copper. The water pipes enter through the ceiling and down into the hot water heater. I have already removed the old heater and cut the pipes up high because I had to remove a leaking shut off valve. I noticed a lot of new construction houses use cpvc. Would it look odd/weird to connect cpvc to the copper pipe and run it to the hot water heater. This would be the cheaper route of course. I can solder, but I haven't done it in a while. I will probably have to waste a few couplings to practice. What do you guys do/use?

I would solder on a couple of mip's and install new copper water flex lines, copper is the best way to go, anything else is JUNK!!.
    Last edited by westcoastplumber; 12-18-2007, 08:58 PM.
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

not sure if cpvc needs to stay away from the heater x amount of inches.

on pex it's 18'' away from the heater.

there should be a plumber here that knows the cpvc rules.

also a sharkbite fitting will make a good transition fitting for cpvc to copper or pex.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        not sure if cpvc needs to stay away from the heater x amount of inches.

on pex it's 18'' away from the heater.

there should be a plumber here that knows the cpvc rules.

also a sharkbite fitting will make a good transition fitting for cpvc to copper or pex.

rick.
        It's the same for cpvc, 18" of metal pipe coming out of the water heater. Nothing wrong with the sharkbite but you can also sweat a male copper adapter to your copper lines then use a female copper to cpvc adapter and go from there. Do not use an all cpvc female adapter. They will crack when tightened.
        http://www.siouxchief.com/Frm_MS.cfm
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
        X