Clear All

• Kohler 4 faucets 6 parts shower system

This shower system was installed a year ago. The Kohler parts used are:
    K670-KS 3/4" Thermostatic Valve
    K672-K 3/4" Transfer Valve
    K8501 1-3Way Handshower
    K10282 1-Rain Showerhead
    K8519 2-Body Sprays

It appears there has been a small leak. There is a small water stain showing on the downstairs ceiling. Also all along the ceiling edge. It seems the ceiling is not leveled, so the water leaks in one area and then roll along away from the shower position.

At the moment the wall behind the plumbing has not been removed yet. Tried calling Kohler to see if the parts need to be caulked. Kohler technician said no. When I list the parts used, the technician said the issue is connecting 3/4" valves with the 1/2" parts. The manual did not indicate this, all it said was the performance may be affected.

Is this true? Will this be a continuous issue? Any way to improve this to avoid future leakage?!

Re: Kohler 4 faucets 6 parts shower system

Are your through wall penetrations properly sealed? How do you know it is the Kohler fixtures and not something else? Have you done anything to eliminate all of the other possibilities? Does it leak all of the time or only when the shower is on?

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

depends on how you connected the 1/2" parts to the 3/4" vlaves.

are you talking about the supply piping? if you used a 3/4 x 1/2 mip, then there shouldn't be a leak.

there are many areas that a leak can accure on a shower sytem, the tile, the drain, the escusions not caulked, the shower arms, nipples, not being tight enough or putty behind the escusions.

is it a constant leak? then it is a supply pipe, if it is speratic, then it is a non pressure, drain, tile or escusion leak.
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Thanks for the comments, I need to get more information on the installation.

From what I can tell it is a slow leak. The plumber will be here soon.

Comment

lol could this be from the drain? until you get in there it will be hard to tell, just seems to me that if it was the suppy you would know it and in a hurry
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Agree with chevy; if it was a supply, even a pinhole, you'd almost certainly get more than just a stain and pretty quickly; within a day or 2... if its not a supply, it could be the line to any of the spray fixtures or the drain... or as west coast says any of the trim rings, or bad caulk at the surround, or bad grout in the walls, or a bad valve stem seal. Do you get any water dribbling out on the floor outside the pan when you use it? Do you have any cracks in the grout or caulk? You can stick a hose in the drain and run it for a few hours and see if you get a wetter spot downstairs. You might be able to pull off some trim rings and then run it and look in the wall for a drip from a line to a spray point... would be a good use for the see snake micro. Been to a tile store lately? It might be time to pick out new tile Sometimes, if you can find where it is and it's on an interior wall, you can get to it from the other, non-tiled side of the wall... drywall cheaper to repair.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

What ended up happening on this one my2222? I think it's always good to let those who help you know how things turned out and who was right. Of course did you have to buy some more Kohler bath & shower parts, or did you get lucky with him fixing what you had?
              “Youngsters of the age of two and three are endowed with extraordinary strength. They can lift a dog twice their own weight and dump him into the bathtub.”

Comment

Last weird one I had like this, turned out to be the shower glass bracket. How we found it, asked who showered just before the water started leaking out of the light fixture below. Turns out it was the wife, and only when she shaved her legs. One leg propped up on the pony wall between the tub and the shower stall, rinsing each leg right on top of the bracket (no sealant on the anchoring screws. Lucky for me, not my ceiling repaint.

Greg

Comment

great catch GREG! Here's another. No one does better Hi end tile than a friend of mine. Big walk in shower. Months after completion,She calls ,tiles changing color. Not good. Many trips with experts. Goes to demo and sees the problem on the shelf. TANNING LOTION .
                  Saved His A$$
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

heres ur problem--u got ripped off --you bought absolute garbage--kohler---yep its expensive---expensive scrap to me----kohler is crap--its the kohler crap thats leaking--nothing the plumber did-trust me

Comment

plumberjr, how do you feel about Kohler?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by DIYguy77 View Post
                        What ended up happening on this one my2222? I think it's always good to let those who help you know how things turned out and who was right. Of course did you have to buy some more Kohler bath & shower parts, or did you get lucky with him fixing what you had?
                        This is what happens, we help someone and they never even come back and say thanks or at least the result. I can count on one hand the few that have ever gave us feedback.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          plumberjr, how do you feel about Kohler?

J.C.
                          I don't know why, I love Kohler stuff. I've been installing and servicing their fixtures for years without problems. Maybe some people just suck at installing it.

Ok, I am outta here! Before the forum tries to lynch me.
                          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Yeah, your close to getting people to buy plane tickets Carl. Ok though, you said it, you're the Kohler man now. We all know where to go with our Kohler issues.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                            X