Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm going to install an on demand heater!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: I'm going to install an on demand heater!!!

Dunbar, you can try to intimidate me with multiple paragraph posts laced with one-liners, your proper grammar and your overuse of your vocabulary. Its not gonna work. Also, theres not one thing concerning the importance of someones safety that you can teach me. I personally install 30-40 gas furnaces a year. I've piped make-up air units with btu ratings in the millions. I know the importance of codes, inspections, and safety. I work everyday with inspectors in 2 different states, 4 different counties, and 6 different cities. All with different codes, and plenty of 'isms'.

Its sad that I have to say it again, but this is his own house. Like the rules or not, he has the right to do what he is doing.

I've seen several instances where its ok to be a c*ck someone on the internet who just wont listen. But some tact is nice every now and then and has been lacking in this thread.

Comment

Just so I'm clear.....it's not installed per IPC code.

Comment

64 posts in less then 24 hours, this has got to be a recorded of so sort
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Fronty, you ask for advice and do not take it.

If you do not install the installation kit I recommended many posts back, you are making a huge mistake.

Included in that kit is the pressure only valve that needs to be installed with the unit. YES, THE PRESSURE ONLY NEEDS TO BE INSTALLED ON A TANKLESS, IT IS A CLOSED SYSTEM, THE PUMP WILL NOT ROTATE BACKWARDS, CAUSING A CLOSED SYSTEM.

I am so done with this thread, you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink, a typical DIY'er
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Just to be clear here as well...though the manual appears to grant permission to all states other than ma for unlicensed work...I'm pretty sure some jurisdictions may object.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
              Yes, we need to stop insulting him boys.

The heater fails...a sensor is stuck and it keeps the element on.
              You close both valves to get ready to service it.
              Your health insurance is good...right?
              Life insiurance?

Is that how you troubleshoot a unit? First, thing that you should do is kill the power. You never shut off the valves with the power on. If the elements are on, the limit switches will be tripping.

Your scenario will not happen unless you are the person servicing it.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                Mark, wasn't too concerned over losing a job in FLA.
                In fact, I've gotten to the point where if I sense a customer who's going to peer over my shoulder and question every move..I opt out, relative to the phrase at the bottom of every post you make.
                I think I stated my concerns once, maybe twice above.
                Had nothing to do with job security.
                Duck I was just kidding with you as the only disclaimers in the entire manual were the two which said in MA you had to hire a licensed plumber.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  The manufacturer may have said it wasn't necessary to install a T&P but I guarantee you they did not say not to install a T&P. If they had the heater would be illegal in many parts of the country. And yes the Local Jurisdiction can and does trump the manufacturer specs. as common practice.

Mark
                  Well, that is something that is an added benefit. Nobody is going to argue with that. No manufacturer is going to say a T & P should not be installed. They will just say it isn't necessary. It will not void the warranty either way. I seriously doubt the trump manufacturers specs on warranty issues. A person could sue the city if that was the case. The only thing I can think of is the roofing situation off the top of my head. The inspector was animate on following installation directions. Why??? Because if you have a blow off and followed the minimum required by codes and didn't follow specs, the roofing manufacturer isn't going to pay your claim. I'm not saying the manufacturer are going to tell you every detail; they will omit things. Just out of curiosity, can you give me an example of where a manufacturers requirement for installation was trumped by a local inspector?

Comment

• Re: I'm a librarian at Amazon.com

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post

Wow,

put me in a pair of stretch pants and call me Sylvia Brown~!!!

Somebody owes me a box of twinkies.....and NOW!

Lol... you made that statement because you FEARED an argument because you are lacking one. Wow!!! strong prediction and strong attack and run.

Comment

Originally posted by fronty View Post
                      Well, that is something that is an added benefit. Nobody is going to argue with that. No manufacturer is going to say a T & P should not be installed. They will just say it isn't necessary. It will not void the warranty either way. I seriously doubt the trump manufacturers specs on warranty issues. A person could sue the city if that was the case. The only thing I can think of is the roofing situation off the top of my head. The inspector was animate on following installation directions. Why??? Because if you have a blow off and followed the minimum required by codes and didn't follow specs, the roofing manufacturer isn't going to pay your claim. I'm not saying the manufacturer are going to tell you every detail; they will omit things. Just out of curiosity, can you give me an example of where a manufacturers requirement for installation was trumped by a local inspector?
                      The Local Jurisdiction ALWAYS wins out over the manufacturers specs. That why when you install something you need to be sure it is approved in your area. Manufacturers spend millions of dollars on testing and approvals just to get approved in some areas. For instance a basket stainer which is IAPMO listed and approved for use all over the country is not approved in Los Angeles because it did not meet the minimum standard of Los Angeles. It is the installers responsibility not the manufacturer's to make sure the item installed complies with the standards of the Local Jurisdiction.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                        Fronty, you ask for advice and do not take it.

If you do not install the installation kit I recommended many posts back, you are making a huge mistake.

Included in that kit is the pressure only valve that needs to be installed with the unit. YES, THE PRESSURE ONLY NEEDS TO BE INSTALLED ON A TANKLESS, IT IS A CLOSED SYSTEM, THE PUMP WILL NOT ROTATE BACKWARDS, CAUSING A CLOSED SYSTEM.

I am so done with this thread, you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink, a typical DIY'er
                        I missed the part about those Rinnai valves having a pressure relief valve. I thought it was just a double valve. I'll look into it further. I couldn't understand why they were charging $160 for something like that.

Comment

I missed the part about those Rinnai valves having a pressure relief valve. I thought it was just a double valve. I'll look into it further. I couldn't understand why they were charging $160 for something like that.

Those valves are not made my rinnai, they are made for tankless units by another manufacturer.
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            The Local Jurisdiction ALWAYS wins out over the manufacturers specs. That why when you install something you need to be sure it is approved in your area. Manufacturers spend millions of dollars on testing and approvals just to get approved in some areas. For instance a basket stainer which is IAPMO listed and approved for use all over the country is not approved in Los Angeles because it did not meet the minimum standard of Los Angeles. It is the installers responsibility not the manufacturer's to make sure the item installed complies with the standards of the Local Jurisdiction.

Mark
                            Thanks Mark

I was referring to something that an inspector would make you do that would void the warranty. I personally do not see it happening.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                              Those valves are not made my rinnai, they are made for tankless units by another manufacturer.
                              OK... I saw some on ebay. Do you think it would be a bad idea to buy from there? They seem cheaper.

Comment

Thanks Mark

I was referring to something that an inspector would make you do that would void the warranty. I personally do not see it happening.
                                Yeah I doubt it would void the warranty because then the manufacturer could never sell them anywhere. What happens more often than not is they tell you it is not an approved device, fixture or whatever and they make you tear it out. Where that is more of an issue is when several counties in one area all have different amendments. One of the areas I work is Southern Nevada which recently put together a joint amendments with all of the Local Jurisdiction to try and eliminate some of the confusion. Everyone had to do some give and take to come up with a joint amendment but in the long run everyone will benefit.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X