Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm going to install an on demand heater!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I'm going to install an on demand heater!!!

Originally posted by fronty View Post
    Why do people have to be asses for? it is human nature

Look buddy.... My expectations aren't ignorant. I did my research. I travel a lot and do not use hot water for dishes, laundry, etc... The ONLY thing I use hot water for is showers. think you should have stated this in the begining??

I don't have a jacuzzi or fill up bath tubs. Therefore, I am heating a tank 365 days a year to use for 15 minutes a day when I'm in town. I take it as a "frontal assault." Your showing your ignorance and intelligence by acting combative over this issue. but you showed yours frist by not provieding all the facts.

You don't know me and my education far exceeds yours. who the he!l cares? good for you but this is not what you do for a living, and this IS what these guys do for a living so now why are you asking us dumbys for help?

Maybe, you may have more plumbing knowledge, but academically you couldn't hold a candle to me. awww do you feel better now?

Also, I was HVAC technician for years when I was younger and could braze the joints without any problems. I just haven't SOLDERED in a while. practic makes perfect.

My electrical knowledge far exceeds yours as well. again then why are you asking us for help?

How am I being the ignorant one? hummmm where do i start?

If this thing can provide a decent temperature shower for 15 minutes a day, it will have exceeded my expectations. That is what I mean by doesn't work.

i really think you need to clam down and think about this all over again, like why not get an eletric tank heater and when you leave town flip the breaker off.

on a side note ben i see why you do not like to offer advise now gee wiz.
    Last edited by oldslowchevy; 12-19-2007, 03:55 PM.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
      Really? I didn't know that. What about my propane tank for my grill?

Every house I've worked in the past 15 years has had a natural gas line. The only time I see a large propane tank is for a carriage house heater.
      Your portable tank does not count but consider even a 500 gallon tank need to be 10' from the house and 10' feet from the property line. Assuming the tank is 5' in diameter the minimum required distance you would need would be 25'. Much of Southern California has 5' set backs so where do you put the tank? Now go to a 501 gallon tank and you add 30' to the requirement.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I have looked at the flow rates for some of these and its not impressive, the most drastic thing I noticed is the 200 amp service required.

However it is worth noting that the small one only requires a 150 amp electrical service.

Thats going to be one expensive install.

Comment

i just do not understand why not to put in a small 30-35 gallon (camper type) eletric tank heater? atleast at that point if he spends more time at home he can up grade to a larger tank if needed.
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            Ben my good buddy, I think your reply was great except for your use of the word ignorant. The minute you use it with anyone the receiver of your message will dismiss the rest of your message. This is all part of the people skills we all must learn if we are going to work with the public. I have taken the liberty of editing your post and I ask you read the edited version and see if that might have been a better way of expressing yourself.

Mark
            Mark, I want to think I'm right about this and say "ignorant" was the right word(Fronty just didn't know enought about them) but experience has taught through my Dad that you're right. He'll often tell me an observation about myself and I'll dismiss it. At a later time, I'll realize how right he was. This is probably one of those times. I think you've realized that I'm not the most tactful person at times. Everyone matures in different areas at different rates in life.

Fronty; I apologize for calling your expectations "ignorant".

Ben
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              Mark, I want to think I'm right about this and say "ignorant" was the right word(Fronty just didn't know enought about them) but experience has taught through my Dad that you're right. He'll often tell me an observation about myself and I'll dismiss it. At a later time, I'll realize how right he was. This is probably one of those times. I think you've realized that I'm not the most tactful person at times. Everyone matures in different areas at different rates in life.

Fronty; I apologize for calling your expectations "ignorant".

Ben
              Stand up thing to do Ben

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Stand up thing to do Ben

Mark
                Agreed!

Comment

OK.... Lowes better take it back if it doesn't work. I spend a lot of money there. They should stand behind their products. I'm sure if I complain I can get it done. What about the ground water detail? I haven't turned on my heater once this year. It is pretty warm down here, so temp rise problems shouldn't arise.

Lowe's should take it back, so should home depot if they sell tankless, you know why they should take it back? because they were stupid enough to sell it to a handyman homeowner DIY'er that is not certified or has the knowledge to install it.
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                    Lowe's should take it back, so should home depot if they sell tankless, you know why they should take it back? because they were stupid enough to sell it to a handyman homeowner DIY'er that is not certified or has the knowledge to install it.

Comment

heyyyy i resemble that remark
                      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

OK.... Lowes better take it back if it doesn't work. I spend a lot of money there. They should stand behind their products. I'm sure if I complain I can get it done. What about the ground water detail? I haven't turned on my heater once this year. It is pretty warm down here, so temp rise problems shouldn't arise.
                        I can tell ya first hand that they wont take back a 40gal gas water heater and I spend a ton of money there every week!
                        Good Luck
                        Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 12-19-2007, 10:01 PM.
                        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                          Then buy a high end propane model and be happy.

The electric on-demand heater is going to be trouble

Just so I don't have to come back later and post this: "We told you so!"

Let us know how this works out for you, good or bad
                          I will definitely come back and post either way. I am not trying to hide my experience. It is going to be a gamble with this thing.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            uneducated in the fundamentals of a given art or branch of learning; lacking knowledge of a specific field; "she is ignorant of quantum mechanics"; "he is musically illiterate"
                            unaware because of a lack of relevant information or knowledge; "he was completely ignorant of the circumstances"; "an unknowledgeable assistant"; "his rudeness was unwitting"
                            wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
                            Ignorance is a lack of knowledge. Ignorance is also the state of being ignorant or uninformed. For example, "Bill lost the debate because he was ignorant of that subject. ...

This is the defintion of ignorant. I'm not calling you stupid or dumb or attacking yourknowledge as you have done with me. I'm simply stating that you don't know all there is to know about these things. You've posted on this subject before, and what you said that this was for a house. How do I know that you need this for only a 15 min shower? How did I know you don't wash clothes with hot water or do dishes? There's a saying in the navy "$hit in is $hit out". Let me explain before you go haywire again. You're only going to get as much information or help as you give out. Tell a doctor "my back hurts". Can he make an accurate diagnosis based off that information? It's the same thing. Going through your past posts and reading your responses, I would think you're a handyman based on the amount and type of questions you ask. Here's an example, you ask how to run a 1/2" gas line but your house doesn't have gas?

Don't ever think that by me being a plumber or hvac tech that you're smarter than me based soley off that assumption. One of the smartest men I ever met had a 2nd grade education. I care not to know of your intelligence level. This is a plumbing forum and that's what matters.

P.S. These water heaters are called "tankless" not "on demand". On demand is typically for hot water at the sink for coffee or tea. How much research did you do again?

I know the denotative meaning of ignorance, but there is also negative connotations that go along with that word. I took offense to it. Calling someone ignorant no matter what the situation will always create a bad reaction. Let's say a new employee starts his first job. Would it be appropriate for a supervisor to walk up to him and say are you the ignorant new hire? No.... the word shouldn't be used in certain contexts. If you would have used inexperienced, I would have agreed with you. I wasn't trying to say anything as far as how intelligent you are. I was just trying to rebut your statement by showing you that I am knowledgeable in other areas other than plumbing.

As far as gas goes, we do not use that much gas in the HVAC field down in Florida. We have absolutely no need for it. A lot of houses run strictly off electric. I would say that almost 85 percent of the houses either have electric heat or use heat pumps. There are a few gas furnaces out there. You will hardly ever see one over 80 percent efficiency though. A lot of people up north can't believe this. They act like people in the south just aren't smart enough to install 90 plus efficiency units. The fact is that you wouldn't see a return on going with a unit of that type. You just don't run the heat enough. I haven't turned it on once this year. I was also wearing shorts and shirt today trying to get this thing installed.

Comment

Ben my good buddy, I think your reply was great except for your use of the word ignorant. The minute you use it with anyone the receiver of your message will dismiss the rest of your message. This is all part of the people skills we all must learn if we are going to work with the public. I have taken the liberty of editing your post and I ask you read the edited version and see if that might have been a better way of expressing yourself.

Mark
                              Thank you Mark...

I did take offense to it. Read all my other posts. I respect all of you guys and really appreciate your help. I kind of regret my response, but I do not like that word at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Weasel View Post
                                What I'm gathering from this thread is that tankless water heaters are a good idea, but that the electric ones don't work worth a damn.

To clarify; what's wrong with electric? Does the water not get hot enough or is it a volume issue?

And before anyone attacks me... I'm functionally retarded and 4 year olds can beat me at flash cards.
                                The efficiency is great, but it takes a lot of power to produce adequate amounts of heat. My unit is very small, and I had to run to circuits to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X