Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm going to install an on demand heater!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: I'm going to install an on demand heater!!!

    Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
    i really think you need to clam down and think about this all over again, like why not get an eletric tank heater and when you leave town flip the breaker off.

    on a side note ben i see why you do not like to offer advise now gee wiz.

    I do not have a regular schedule and leave for weeks at a time. A hot water heater should be out of sight out of mind in my opinion.

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: I'm going to install an on demand heater!!!

      Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      Mark, I want to think I'm right about this and say "ignorant" was the right word(Fronty just didn't know enought about them) but experience has taught through my Dad that you're right. He'll often tell me an observation about myself and I'll dismiss it. At a later time, I'll realize how right he was. This is probably one of those times. I think you've realized that I'm not the most tactful person at times. Everyone matures in different areas at different rates in life.

      Fronty; I apologize for calling your expectations "ignorant".

      Ben
      It is definitely a poor choice of words. Please see my example. I can give you a lot more if you would like. It isn't a word that should be in your vocabulary.

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: I'm going to install an on demand heater!!!

        Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
        Lowe's should take it back, so should home depot if they sell tankless, you know why they should take it back? because they were stupid enough to sell it to a handyman homeowner DIY'er that is not certified or has the knowledge to install it.
        I also cut the bottom of the unit out instead of cutting through a tamper proof seal on the top. There are a lot of DIY things that people can do. You do not have to be "certified" to do everything. What certification are you referring to anyways? I'm seeking for the knowledge to install it from you guys. I have the knowledge of the electrical.
        Last edited by fronty; 12-20-2007, 09:11 AM.

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: I'm going to install an on demand heater!!!

          Originally posted by biscuit View Post
          I have looked at the flow rates for some of these and its not impressive, the most drastic thing I noticed is the 200 amp service required.

          However it is worth noting that the small one only requires a 150 amp electrical service.

          Thats going to be one expensive install.
          that is really the determining factor. i have a customer that has one. the only reason why it worked/ works is she lives alone, her condo was right behind the electrical main to the building. the other units are too far away to the electrical panel to make it worthwhile.

          not sure how her electrical bill has changed. she is in santa monica and the ground water is not as warm as florida, but not too far off.

          it will be very interesting to hear about the electrical requirements.

          if i remember correctly the unit required 3 sets of double 60 amp breakers. that's more than 3 arc welder on high amperage at the same time

          i hope he has the panel for this and breaker space for this.

          please post the specs for this heater.

          gpm

          temp rise.

          amperage

          rick.
          phoebe it is

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: I'm going to install an on demand heater!!!

            Wow!!! I left for a basketball game and was fully prepared to be bashed by members of this board. I'm glad you guys saw my true intentions. I respect all of you and wish I had the same knowledge in plumbing. I wouldn't have to visit forums then. I know.... I know..... Everyone told me not to go with this unit. Here are the reasons I decided to GIVE IT A TRY.

            -I found out the heater in the attic is only 30 gallons. I have no complaints.
            -I only use hot water to take showers and nothing else.
            -I travel a lot.
            -I had to run a new circuit anyways and had extra wire. I just had to pull extra wire.
            -I can (hopefully) return the unit at lowes.
            -The ground water in Florida is extremely high and consistent.
            -I really really need the space in the area.
            -I couldn't find a electric heater from a different manufacturers you guys recommended.

            This thing can't have a 100 percent failure rate. It has to work in some applications. If it can't work in my application than they couldn't sell it. I have really high ground water temperature and barely will use it. That is why I chose to give it a try. I was actually excited about installing this thing until Ben's comments. I just like working with my hands. I will fill you guys in either way. I promise to give a honest evaluation.

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: I'm going to install an on demand heater!!!

              http://www.boschhotwater.com/Portals...5SellSheet.pdf

              this thing draws 80 amps! and thats to bring 2.6gpm (which ain't much of a shower) up from a generous 60F starting temp to 105F (which ain't that hot). 80 amps! i'm no electrician but thats some big wire lol. what is the size of the electrical service into your house? I'd say even if you have the 80A avail you are on the ragged edge of an acceptable shower, only if no other fixtures are pulling hot water at the same time and even then only because you live in a place where your water is likely to be warm out of the ground. I remember discussing something like this with a collegue who installed a whole house one here that was 200A and was inadequate...but our cold water is cold.... im guessing 35-40 F, and this was a house where more than one person stayed. good luck!
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: I'm going to install an on demand heater!!!

                Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                that is really the determining factor. i have a customer that has one. the only reason why it worked/ works is she lives alone, her condo was right behind the electrical main to the building. the other units are too far away to the electrical panel to make it worthwhile.

                not sure how her electrical bill has changed. she is in santa monica and the ground water is not as warm as florida, but not too far off.

                it will be very interesting to hear about the electrical requirements.

                if i remember correctly the unit required 3 sets of double 60 amp breakers. that's more than 3 arc welder on high amperage at the same time

                i hope he has the panel for this and breaker space for this.

                please post the specs for this heater.

                gpm

                temp rise.

                amperage

                rick.
                I bought the smaller of the two units. It runs off of two 40 amp breakers. I'll post the specs tomorrow.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: I'm going to install an on demand heater!!!

                  Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                  http://www.boschhotwater.com/Portals...5SellSheet.pdf

                  this thing draws 80 amps! and thats to bring 2.6gpm (which ain't much of a shower) up from a generous 60F starting temp to 105F (which ain't that hot). 80 amps! i'm no electrician but thats some big wire lol. what is the size of the electrical service into your house? I'd say even if you have the 80A avail you are on the ragged edge of an acceptable shower, only if no other fixtures are pulling hot water at the same time and even then only because you live in a place where your water is likely to be warm out of the ground. I remember discussing something like this with a collegue who installed a whole house one here that was 200A and was inadequate...but our cold water is cold.... im guessing 35-40 F, and this was a house where more than one person stayed. good luck!
                  Originally posted by fronty View Post
                  I bought the smaller of the two units. It runs off of two 40 amp breakers. I'll post the specs tomorrow.
                  fronty, that's 2 sets of 40 amp double pole breakers. meaning 80 amps at 240 volts.

                  the minimum panel is a 150 amp service.

                  i hope you did check the specs. throughly.

                  rick.
                  phoebe it is

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: I'm going to install an on demand heater!!!

                    Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    fronty, that's 2 sets of 40 amp double pole breakers. meaning 80 amps at 240 volts.

                    the minimum panel is a 150 amp service.

                    i hope you did check the specs. throughly.

                    rick.

                    I know. The electrical is already run. I just need to do the water connections today.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: I'm going to install an on demand heater!!!

                      O/K I got it.It was more cost effective for you to run your own wire than to have a plumber come in and run gas and vent.I can appreciate the intention.

                      I myself never knew these units were so slow until now.

                      I'm not a fan at all of water wasting shower heads.Mine's more like a glorified mister.I don't need a lot of hot water for my shower.

                      Fronty,I would like to hear your honest opinion after you get it installed.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: I'm going to install an on demand heater!!!

                        It will be intresting to get the feedback on this one.

                        One thing worth noting is the flow rate. I would go ahead and get a loooooow flow shower head to give it a honest chance of working.

                        Regards,

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: I'm going to install an on demand heater!!!

                          Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                          O/K I got it.It was more cost effective for you to run your own wire than to have a plumber come in and run gas and vent.I can appreciate the intention.

                          I myself never knew these units were so slow until now.

                          I'm not a fan at all of water wasting shower heads.Mine's more like a glorified mister.I don't need a lot of hot water for my shower.

                          Fronty,I would like to hear your honest opinion after you get it installed.
                          maybe that's why you still have "dirtyhands"

                          rick.
                          phoebe it is

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: I'm going to install an on demand heater!!!

                            What is proper/common procedure for the final connection to the unit? I decided to run copper the entire way. I tried looking at WC plumbers pics on the Rannai install, but I couldn't see under it. I was thinking about getting a fitting threaded/sweat to connect to the heater, but I wasn't sure if it was necessary to add unions. I could add copper flex lines and eliminate the need for a union. Hopefully, I will have time to get this thing running and post pics.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: I'm going to install an on demand heater!!!

                              yes the pics would be most helpful
                              9/11/01, never forget.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Re: I'm going to install an on demand heater!!!

                                Originally posted by fronty View Post
                                What is proper/common procedure for the final connection to the unit? I decided to run copper the entire way. I tried looking at WC plumbers pics on the Rannai install, but I couldn't see under it. I was thinking about getting a fitting threaded/sweat to connect to the heater, but I wasn't sure if it was necessary to add unions. I could add copper flex lines and eliminate the need for a union. Hopefully, I will have time to get this thing running and post pics.
                                All of the Codes I work under require unions at the supply lines of the water heater.

                                Mark
                                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                                I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X