Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm going to install an on demand heater!!!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going to install an on demand heater!!!

I hope this works. I know you guys all think the Bosch AE115 is crap. It is an electric on demand system. I just need the space. I removed a huge solar hot water tank from the laundry room. I was going to put a regular hot water heater in its place and eliminate the one in the attic. Now, I want to give this on demand system a shot. The savings in space is worth it for me even if it doesn't save me any money. If it doesn't work, I'll just take it back to Lowes and buy a regular tank heater. I just have to run two short circuits to it. I'll mount it on the wall and run copper to it. I just decided to waste about 5 dollars in couplings to practice. I'll keep you updated. I'm short on time right now, so I can't put a bypass loop in. I figure I can do it next year sometime. I'm hoping to get some help from you guys if I run into trouble.

Thanks...

Re: I'm going to install an on demand heater!!!

I hope it works to but I doubt it. Craigslist here is full of Bosch tankless WH that DIY's have gotten rid of. Could you install a gas tankless?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      I hope it works to but I doubt it. Craigslist here is full of Bosch tankless WH that DIY's have gotten rid of. Could you install a gas tankless?

Were those new or used? I don't have gas service to the house, or I would install a high end gas one. I figure I can take it back if it doesn't work. I'm hoping it works in my location. I live in Florida and the ground water is pretty warm.

Comment

Used, diy's put them in their house and don't like them because they didn't want to listen to some plumbers so they install a regular one in. Now they're stuck because HD won't take back a used water heater.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Does anyone want to start a pot on how long after Fronty installs this POS that he takes it out? I give him a week.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Used, diy's put them in their house and don't like them because they didn't want to listen to some plumbers so they install a regular one in. Now they're stuck because HD won't take back a used water heater.
            OK.... Lowes better take it back if it doesn't work. I spend a lot of money there. They should stand behind their products. I'm sure if I complain I can get it done. What about the ground water detail? I haven't turned on my heater once this year. It is pretty warm down here, so temp rise problems shouldn't arise.

Comment

Originally posted by fronty View Post
              OK.... Lowes better take it back if it doesn't work. I spend a lot of money there. They should stand behind their products. I'm sure if I complain I can get it done.
              Don't confuse "doesn't work" with not meeting your ignorant expectations. Out of curosity, we've discussed this before with you and told you it wouldn't work. Your plumbing experience is nil since you've mentioned in the first post of this thread that "you're buying couplings to practice". Why do you think you know more than a 1000 plus collective years of plumbing experience? I'm not on a frontal assault with this but am curious and wish you the best of luck no matter what decision you make.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

you had better check with lowes frist as i have in the past went to take things back to them and i was told to contact the mfg.

i to live in florida and my cold water is around 70-75degrees year round as the water service is only 8"-12" in the ground due to no frost line here.
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Don't confuse "doesn't work" with not meeting your ignorant expectations. Out of curosity, we've discussed this before with you and told you it wouldn't work. Your plumbing experience is nil since you've mentioned in the first post of this thread that "you're buying couplings to practice". Why do you think you know more than a 1000 plus collective years of plumbing experience? I'm not on a frontal assault with this but am curious and wish you the best of luck no matter what decision you make.
                  Why do people have to be asses for? Look buddy.... My expectations aren't ignorant. I did my research. I travel a lot and do not use hot water for dishes, laundry, etc... The ONLY thing I use hot water for is showers. I don't have a jacuzzi or fill up bath tubs. Therefore, I am heating a tank 365 days a year to use for 15 minutes a day when I'm in town. I take it as a "frontal assault." Your showing your ignorance and intelligence by acting combative over this issue. You don't know me and my education far exceeds yours. Maybe, you may have more plumbing knowledge, but academically you couldn't hold a candle to me. Also, I was HVAC technician for years when I was younger and could braze the joints without any problems. I just haven't SOLDERED in a while. My electrical knowledge far exceeds yours as well. How am I being the ignorant one? If this thing can provide a decent temperature shower for 15 minutes a day, it will have exceeded my expectations. That is what I mean by doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by fronty View Post
                    Were those new or used? I don't have gas service to the house, or I would install a high end gas one. I figure I can take it back if it doesn't work. I'm hoping it works in my location. I live in Florida and the ground water is pretty warm.
                    Then buy a high end propane model and be happy.

The electric on-demand heater is going to be trouble

Just so I don't have to come back later and post this: "We told you so!"

Let us know how this works out for you, good or bad

Comment

uneducated in the fundamentals of a given art or branch of learning; lacking knowledge of a specific field; "she is ignorant of quantum mechanics"; "he is musically illiterate"
                      unaware because of a lack of relevant information or knowledge; "he was completely ignorant of the circumstances"; "an unknowledgeable assistant"; "his rudeness was unwitting"
                      wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
                      Ignorance is a lack of knowledge. Ignorance is also the state of being ignorant or uninformed. For example, "Bill lost the debate because he was ignorant of that subject. ...

This is the defintion of ignorant. I'm not calling you stupid or dumb or attacking yourknowledge as you have done with me. I'm simply stating that you don't know all there is to know about these things. You've posted on this subject before, and what you said that this was for a house. How do I know that you need this for only a 15 min shower? How did I know you don't wash clothes with hot water or do dishes? There's a saying in the navy "$hit in is $hit out". Let me explain before you go haywire again. You're only going to get as much information or help as you give out. Tell a doctor "my back hurts". Can he make an accurate diagnosis based off that information? It's the same thing. Going through your past posts and reading your responses, I would think you're a handyman based on the amount and type of questions you ask. Here's an example, you ask how to run a 1/2" gas line but your house doesn't have gas?

Don't ever think that by me being a plumber or hvac tech that you're smarter than me based soley off that assumption. One of the smartest men I ever met had a 2nd grade education. I care not to know of your intelligence level. This is a plumbing forum and that's what matters.

P.S. These water heaters are called "tankless" not "on demand". On demand is typically for hot water at the sink for coffee or tea. How much research did you do again?
                      Last edited by gear junkie; 12-19-2007, 04:41 PM.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                        Then buy a high end propane model and be happy.

The electric on-demand heater is going to be trouble

Just so I don't have to come back later and post this: "We told you so!"

Let us know how this works out for you, good or bad
                        You have to be approved for bulk propane storage before you can just put one in. Not all areas have proper set-backs to even allow bulk propane storage.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          You have to be approved for bulk propane storage before you can just put one in. Not all areas have proper set-backs to even allow bulk propane storage.

Mark
                          Really? I didn't know that. What about my propane tank for my grill?

Every house I've worked in the past 15 years has had a natural gas line. The only time I see a large propane tank is for a carriage house heater.

Comment

Don't confuse "doesn't work" with not meeting your expectations. Out of curosity, we've discussed this before with you and told you it wouldn't work. Your plumbing experience is nil since you've mentioned in the first post of this thread that "you're buying couplings to practice". Why do you think you know more than a 1000 plus collective years of plumbing experience? I'm not on a frontal assault with this but am curious and wish you the best of luck no matter what decision you make.
                            Ben my good buddy, I think your reply was great except for your use of the word ignorant. The minute you use it with anyone the receiver of your message will dismiss the rest of your message. This is all part of the people skills we all must learn if we are going to work with the public. I have taken the liberty of editing your post and I ask you read the edited version and see if that might have been a better way of expressing yourself.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

What I'm gathering from this thread is that tankless water heaters are a good idea, but that the electric ones don't work worth a damn.

To clarify; what's wrong with electric? Does the water not get hot enough or is it a volume issue?

And before anyone attacks me... I'm functionally retarded and 4 year olds can beat me at flash cards.

Comment

Working...
                              X