Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: hot water heater driving me Nuts!

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
    i too am tring to figure out why the answer about the lowwer element is not being answered
    Because the lower element does not get power till the upper gets hot shuts off. The water temp is not reaching 125 deg. only 1 element is on at a time.

Comment

who told you that is how a water heater works? they work together, or atleast mine does
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Connect up an AC Volt meter directly to the 2 screws on the upper element. Not to the thermostat but to the element. After taking this measurement, try the Volt meter across the lower element.

I think it's a typo but are the elements only rated at 440 Watts at 240 Volts? My bet is they are 4500 Watts.

WARNING: Never power or fire up a water heater with the inlet valve closed unless you are 1000% sure it really is full of water and then leave the nearest faucet hot valve partly open. As water heats it does expand. If your water heater has an expansion tank then this isn't as important. If it doesn't have an expansion tank you need to have a place for the water to go as it expands. If not then the T&P safety valve will leak or the tank will bust.
        Last edited by Woussko; 12-20-2007, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ERKLINE1@COMCAST.NET View Post
          Can you tell me how to change a dip stick?
          I removed the cold water line and fitting from tank.
          Can't figure how to pull the tube. If I put my fingure in it I can feel it and can move it a little. I'm afraid to pry it, I read somewhere that they just sit in there.
          Yes they just sit in there held by a slight flare on the end of the plastic tube and a rubber ring gasket.

Don't push on it too hard or you will push it down into the tank.

Assuming you have done the electric repair properly this is the next most likely suspect

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            Yes they just sit in there held by a slight flare on the end of the plastic tube and a rubber ring gasket.

Don't push on it too hard or you will push it down into the tank.

Assuming you have done the electric repair properly this is the next most likely suspect
            But wouldn't he have hot water for a short time only if it was the dip tube? He doesn't have hot water at all. Could a bad dip tube give the same symptom?
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              But wouldn't he have hot water for a short time only if it was the dip tube? He doesn't have hot water at all. Could a bad dip tube give the same symptom?
              It's weird, Ive seen broken dip tubes 2" long and the customer never said they had a problem with hot water. I've also seen 2" dip tubes that cause the cold and hot to mix right at the hot water outlet causing just warm water. This is one of his symptoms.

Comment

I'm betting on an electrical problem with either the breaker or the wiring to the tank.
                Brent

Comment

I want to see 240 Volts right at the upper element. It's very easy to mess up wiring of a 2 thermostat, 2 element and limit switch water heater. If there is 240 Volts at the upper element then take a hot hair dryer and heat up the upper thermostat. That should get it to switch so there's power applied to the lower element.

Comment

Got it fixed. Turned out to be a hot water line break under the house. The water was'nt staying in the tank long enough to get hot. Thanks for all your inputs

Comment

I think it is a slab leak........maybe on the hot side.
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

There should be a prize for the winning diagnosis, yes?
                        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for keeping us updated on the situation.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by wwsmith View Post
                            Hot water leak / slab leak somewhere perhaps? Been there, suffered through that so thought I would toss it out there for the heck of it. I found mine by making sure no faucets or any water was running in the house and checking the water meter. After seeing the dials rotating we figured something was leaking and called in the experts to locate, jackhammer my floors and repair.
                            And the winner is: WWSmith who is NOT a plumber by trade

Now don't we all look foolish

Comment

Originally posted by ERKLINE1@COMCAST.NET View Post
                              I can fill the hot water tank up, shut the cold water feed line (to make sure cold water is;nt geeting where its not suppose to) , turn the electric on, wait 1 hour, and the water only goes up to 100 degrees tops, New thermostats and element (3 times) and still won't get hot at the tank.
                              I thought it could be a slab leak also but was thrown off by this.

Comment

you would think at night when your trying to sleep, you would hear the sound of water running, I hear this comp[laint from my customers all the time when they have slab leaks, the other complaint is the new radiant heating floor system they never paid to have installed. The gas water heaters will keep on heating and the floor gets real nice and warm.

Thanks for getting back to us with the cause, it is nice to hear the cause of the problem.

to bad you spent so much time and money on material you never needed, by the time you decided to call an expert, you wasted alot of money, water and time.
                                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                                X