X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hot water heater driving me Nuts!

This 40 gallon hot water heater refuses to go back to work!
    It all started two days ago, we had little hot water.
    I changed the Thermostats, Element, Each at least twice.
    So yesterday day I tried one more time, and still ended with same results. I changed both elements, Filled the tank up with water, Set both thermostats to 125. Made sure to turn on hot water faucet to avoid burning element. Turned electric breaker back on. Checked and had 240 volts to upper element. One hour later checked water at faucet, and still only warm water. What else affects water temp?

Re: hot water heater driving me Nuts!

what are you getting at the lowwer element? is the lowwer element set the same as the upper or just a little lowwer/higher? are you sre the breaker is working corately? there was a guy here salk98 that had a bad breaker, once replace all was right in the world
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I have 240 volts comming in from breaker, and 240 going into top element. The water will not get hot only warm.
      Changed every part twice, tested every part with ohm and voltage checks.

Comment

try replaceing the moen cartidge in your single handle faucets????

turn the hot water off at your washing machine,

JERRYMAC MASTERPLUMBER

P. S. I JUST FIXED THE SAME PROBLEM JUST LAST WEEK ! ! !
        JERRYMAC
        E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
        CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
        FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
        SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

ERKLINE1@COMCAST.NET

Check the temperature of the hot water coming right out of the heater. Is it nice and hot there? If just warm you may have a thermostat problem that got overlooked. Did you replace the limit switch? If you have 240 Volt rated neon test lights, connect one across each element and keep watch. The lower element should power up as soon as the upper one goes off and then later both should go off. In some cases you can set the limit switch. Set it at 180-200 as it's only for a runaway emergency shutdown. Do not ever set above 200.

JERRYMAC - Brings up a good point that there may be hot and cold water mixing somewhere. This is where it's important the check the water temp right as it leave the water heater. Turn on a hot faucet just a little bit open. When checking the water heater be sure there is no water flowing in your house anywhere other than when you open the one faucet. Listen with ears open.
          Last edited by Woussko; 12-20-2007, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Hot water leak / slab leak somewhere perhaps? Been there, suffered through that so thought I would toss it out there for the heck of it. I found mine by making sure no faucets or any water was running in the house and checking the water meter. After seeing the dials rotating we figured something was leaking and called in the experts to locate, jackhammer my floors and repair.
            Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

I can fill the hot water tank up, shut the cold water feed line (to make sure cold water is;nt geeting where its not suppose to) , turn the electric on, wait 1 hour, and the water only goes up to 100 degrees tops, New thermostats and element (3 times) and still won't get hot at the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by ERKLINE1@COMCAST.NET View Post
                I can fill the hot water tank up, shut the cold water feed line (to make sure cold water is;nt geeting where its not suppose to) , turn the electric on, wait 1 hour, and the water only goes up to 100 degrees tops, New thermostats and element (3 times) and still won't get hot at the tank.
                How many amps are you drawing? What are the specs on the elements? Are you getting 240v to both elements? Did you double check your wiring? Do you have photos?

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I have 240 comming and going out of the top thermostat. I have 240 at the upper element. The element is rated 440w 240v. Same as what I removed. I even tried to fill the tank, shut off cold water input, and checked temp at the tank. Only gets warm. The temp never gets hot enough at the top to trip the bottom to come on. I'd change the hot water heater but on social security, and Christmas, left me broke.

Comment

bottom should come on frist as heat rises
                    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

It's already been asked a couple of times, but I'll do it again. Are you getting 240v at the lower element?
                      Brent

Comment

The thermostat is usually held in place by metal tabs. Are these in place? If the thermostats are not tight against the tank it won't work very well. Not calling you stupid but I gotta ask; before you flipped on the breaker after changing the elements, did you run hot water for a couple minutes to ensure the tank was full? Have you checked the continuty of your elements?
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Ya, I posted all that info. Please read them. Theres no questions,
                          i appreciate any help, even if it makes me look stupid. LOL
                          Can you tell me how to change a dip stick?
                          I removed the cold water line and fitting from tank.
                          Can't figure how to pull the tube. If I put my fingure in it I can feel it and can move it a little. I'm afraid to pry it, I read somewhere that they just sit in there.

Comment

You stated you replaced the elements three times, what was the condition of the two sets you removed??

This would be the original ones which were thought to be bad going into the repair, and then the second set you installed thinking the first set was bad for some reason.

Now you are on your third set of elements and still water does not heat properly. As others have asked what about the lower element?
                            ---------------
                            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                            ---------------
                            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                            ---------
                            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                            ---------
                            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

i too am tring to figure out why the answer about the lowwer element is not being answered
                              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Working...
                              X