X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dishwasher Vent

I think the concern is bacteria migration not so much back water.
    sigpic

Comment

There is many times i have seen kitchen sink flood out the dishwasher,
      The airgap is to protect your dish's, But much more important it is to prevent a cross connection between sewer water and the potable water fill valve at the bottom right
      corner of most dishwasher's,

JERRYMAC
      JERRYMAC
      E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
      CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
      FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
      SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

zounds good to me. He who lives bye the code shall be endowed with many gifts.
        sigpic

Comment

I believe jerrymac is right on. The airgap is to keep the clean water from the dirty water.

An airgap is required by the UPC and local jurstictions, it outperforms the high loop allowable by the IPC.

Ugly or not, it is for the safety of not only your potable water system, but others also.

The same with hose bibb vacuum breakers, there isn't really a chance of chemicals going back into the water system from the chemical areators, or from the hose being left in the mud, but it is for everyones protection and should be done with the intent of the code.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

You folks are amazing! Thanks for all who contributed.

Does anyone make the cover for that vent in other colors other thamn chrome?

Marti

Comment

what color do you want? also you might want to contact the company who made your faulcet, they mat not only make the color you want but might also make it in a style the matches your faulcet set.
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

i am closing on a condo in los angeles, california, and the dishwasher is connected directly to the garbage disposal with no air gap (although the dishwasher outlet line is looped up high in the cabinet). the unit is on an upper floor. i did some research and found that air gaps are required by code in los angeles. can any of the professionals here confirm that finding for me (off the top of your heads, im of course not asking that anyone do physical research).

also, i am relatively handy, and i think that i can install the air gap myself. but how much would you all suggest that i ask as a credit from the seller for this indiscretion? ie, how much do you pro's usually charge for installing an air gap to an existing dishwasher set up?

thanks folks!!!

m

Comment

the newer european machines are allowed to drain without an air gap.

but as far as installing an air gap it's pretty simple and basic. unless you don't have a hole in the sink for another opening.

the hole can be drilled and is something an experienced pro should do. especially in a cast iron or pressed steel sink.

as far as cost, or escrow credit. $120.00- $200.00 if a hole is drilled.

where in los angeles are you

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

hey, rick. thanks for the info, i appreciate it. it is, in fact, a stainless steel sink, and a hole will need to be drilled (unless i decide to forgo the sprayer, which i don't).

Comment

Originally posted by m a x i m u s View Post
                      hey, rick. thanks for the info, i appreciate it. it is, in fact, a stainless steel sink, and a hole will need to be drilled (unless i decide to forgo the sprayer, which i don't).

Why not get a faucet with a pull out sprayer??

Or a single post faucet, with pull out sprayer and a loation or soap dispenser?

You will not need to drill another hole in the sink
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                        Why not get a faucet with a pull out sprayer??

Or a single post faucet, with pull out sprayer and a loation or soap dispenser?

You will not need to drill another hole in the sink

i like the faucet thats already on there. also, i want to make it relatively easy, versus spending another $300 on a new faucet, plus install; i just wanted to get the air gap put in for now.

Comment

Originally posted by m a x i m u s View Post
                          i like the faucet thats already on there. also, i want to make it relatively easy, versus spending another $300 on a new faucet, plus install; i just wanted to get the air gap put in for now.

Your gonna spend close to that $300 on getting the sink drilled and the new air gap installed, unless you get someone to dril the hole for you, and you install the air gap.

Unless you do both the hole and the gap, then you only have like $100 in material, including the cost of the bit, but, far more invested if you mess the sink up
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                          X