X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New basin drain height

I have obtained a new bathroom cabinet with a one piece glass countertop/basin. It also came with a bottle trap to hook up to the drain. The trouble I am having is that there is an open shelf below the basin which limits how far below the basin the tail piece can extend before it interferes with the shelf. The height that my existing drain pipe comes out of the wall is significantly too low to connect directly to the trap without being in the way of the shelf. Is it ok to put a 90 degree adapter on the horizontal drain pipe coming out of the wall to raise it up to an acceptable height for this install?

Or is there a better way to make this work?

Thanks

Re: New basin drain height

It will work but it will definitely look like crap, like a home owner or handy man installation. Aren't you still gonna have to notch the shelf to do this?

The proper way is to cut the wall open and raise the horizontal pipe to the correct height. If there is a closet on the opposite side, you are in luck.

Tracy
    sigpic.................I Love My Toto Bidet :twofinger2: :twofinger:

Comment

Maybe I'm reading this wrong. Sounds like You'd be creating a double trap, that's a no no!
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by cjt View Post
        I have obtained a new bathroom cabinet with a one piece glass countertop/basin. It also came with a bottle trap to hook up to the drain. The trouble I am having is that there is an open shelf below the basin which limits how far below the basin the tail piece can extend before it interferes with the shelf. The height that my existing drain pipe comes out of the wall is significantly too low to connect directly to the trap without being in the way of the shelf. Is it ok to put a 90 degree adapter on the horizontal drain pipe coming out of the wall to raise it up to an acceptable height for this install?

Or is there a better way to make this work?

Thanks
        The trap arm opening to the vent cannot be below the trap wier. Under our plumbing code it would created an illegal condition. My guess is it would be illegal under yours as well.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

lose the shelf
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Does the wall have a finish that you don't want disturbed,tile wainscot,wallpaper,etc.If so can you access from the other side.

Comment

Can you post a picture so we(I) can get a better idea of what you're talking about and can give some better advice?
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Do yourself a big favor, cut the wall open, raise the santee to the correct height, also take into consideration where your hot and cold water lines are located. Raise those up to tuck them in under the counter, enough to work on, but not low enough to be highly visiable.

You can come off the strainer with a 90, and 90 back down into the trap, further towards the wall, you cannot install a 90 on a trap arm.
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Here is a sketch of the problem. Hopefully you will see how the drain T from the wall is too low to allow installation of the trap without interfering with the glass shelf. Any ideas?

Can I do as I illustrate in the second diagram??

Thanks again
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cjt View Post
                    Here is a sketch of the problem. Hopefully you will see how the drain T from the wall is too low to allow installation of the trap without interfering with the glass shelf. Any ideas?

Can I do as I illustrate in the second diagram??

Thanks again
                    Did you read the other 8 posts above?

We know what you want to do. It's a fairly common question but the answer is no unless your code allows it.

2 choices here. Move the Tee up to the proper height or install the waste Westcoast suggested. Install a strainer on the sink and 90 back to the wall and install the trap there away from the shelf.

CABO used to allow a verticle leg trap arm like what he wants to do. I think each piece of pipe had to increase one pipe diameter in size and had minimum distances.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                      Do yourself a big favor, cut the wall open, raise the santee to the correct height, also take into consideration where your hot and cold water lines are located. Raise those up to tuck them in under the counter, enough to work on, but not low enough to be highly visiable.

You can come off the strainer with a 90, and 90 back down into the trap, further towards the wall, you cannot install a 90 on a trap arm.

Not that this needs repeating, but do it right the first time and save yourself some headaches later. Do what westcoast said and you'll be in good shape I think. What you propose would not fly here under our code (NSPC).
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X