Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

galvanized to brass - dielectric union needed?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: galvanized to brass - dielectric union needed?

    Not to digress however, I am hoping to confirm a couple things. First, I am OK to go from galvanized city line to brass valve to copper in the house, without any dielectric union. Second, my static pressure, is around 45psi, confirming, without angering, that I do not need a PRV. On a seperate note in my trade, Fire dept., there are many threads and forums that we use exclusively for education and it seems to work really well. Just a thought.
    Thanks to all.
    Sean

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: galvanized to brass - dielectric union needed?

      Your good to go.The boys have looked it over and your on your way.

      There is only one problem........................................... ....Your still a fireman

      Sorry,I couldn't resist.
      I have two captains,a handfull of firemen and a chief for friends.My girlfriends brother is an engineer($110,000 a year to polish the chrome on a truck is pretty good).

      Welcome to the forum Sean.Call back if you need anything.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: galvanized to brass - dielectric union needed?

        Originally posted by ffsquints View Post
        Not to digress however, I am hoping to confirm a couple things. First, I am OK to go from galvanized city line to brass valve to copper in the house, without any dielectric union. Second, my static pressure, is around 45psi, confirming, without angering, that I do not need a PRV. On a seperate note in my trade, Fire dept., there are many threads and forums that we use exclusively for education and it seems to work really well. Just a thought.
        Thanks to all.
        Sean
        The brass will act as a dielectric. The standard in the industry is 6" hence Adam's suggestion of adding a brass nipple. Your pressure is well below the level where you would need a PRV.

        Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

        I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: galvanized to brass - dielectric union needed?

          Originally posted by ffsquints View Post
          Not to digress however, I am hoping to confirm a couple things. First, I am OK to go from galvanized city line to brass valve to copper in the house, without any dielectric union. Second, my static pressure, is around 45psi, confirming, without angering, that I do not need a PRV. On a seperate note in my trade, Fire dept., there are many threads and forums that we use exclusively for education and it seems to work really well. Just a thought.
          Thanks to all.
          Sean
          Sean, at 45, you don't need a PRV.

          A 3" brass nipple and a ball valve will give you your 6" of protection against electrolosis.

          As for the code requirements, I have purchased the 2006 UPC and have been peeking now and then. You do not have to use Hammer Arrestors, you can install a 2' piece of copper in the wall running verticly with a tee and a cap to make an air chamber. All mechanical hammer arrestors have to have access panels so they are readily accessable, as an "Air Chamber" can be buried in the wall, it is not considered a mechanical device.
          sigpic

          Robert

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: galvanized to brass - dielectric union needed?

            Robert,
            The Hammer arrestor was thread drift.He knows

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: galvanized to brass - dielectric union needed?

              Thanks for all the help!! This seems like a much better idea than asking the self proclaimed experts at the Firehouse. Turns out we have some free time, after all how much time can you really spend polishing the rig!! Thanks again and Happy Holidays to all!! I'm sure that I'll be back with more questions as my plumbing adventure progresses.
              Sean

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: galvanized to brass - dielectric union needed?

                Originally posted by ffsquints View Post
                Thanks for all the help!! This seems like a much better idea than asking the self proclaimed experts at the Firehouse. Turns out we have some free time, after all how much time can you really spend polishing the rig!! Thanks again and Happy Holidays to all!! I'm sure that I'll be back with more questions as my plumbing adventure progresses.
                Sean
                ...........

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: galvanized to brass - dielectric union needed?

                  In my area, the best way to go is to use a stainless steel nipple between copper and galvanised. Galvanised to brass is a guaranteed future leaker. Or if you go to wrench them apart, the galvanised breaks.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: galvanized to brass - dielectric union needed?

                    Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    Robert,
                    The Hammer arrestor was thread drift.He knows
                    Sorry, I get carried away with myself.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: galvanized to brass - dielectric union needed?

                      Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      The brass will act as a dielectric. The standard in the industry is 6" hence Adam's suggestion of adding a brass nipple. Your pressure is well below the level where you would need a PRV.

                      Mark
                      Why does the length matter?
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: galvanized to brass - dielectric union needed?

                        Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        Sorry, I get carried away with myself.
                        Ben,the O/P's question was addressed before the drift.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: galvanized to brass - dielectric union needed?

                          Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          Why does the length matter?
                          It separates the molecular activity.I look at like keeping two magnets separate.Maybe there is a better analogy.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X