Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

galvanized to brass - dielectric union needed?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• galvanized to brass - dielectric union needed?

I need to replace the galvanized supply in my house. The line from the city into the house is galvanized, as well as all my supply. I want to replace all my galvanized with copper starting at the main house side valve. I plan on shutting the water off at the meter and replacing the house side valve and then everything else with copper. Do I need a dielectric union between the galvanived pipe and the new brass valve? Essentially I will have galvanized pipe into a brass valve and copper out of the other side. What is the best way to accomplish this? Thanks

Re: galvanized to brass - dielectric union needed?

I consider the valve enough maybe a 3" nipple on the house side for extra protection.No P.R.V.?

Comment

Just to confirm a 3" brass nipple on the house side of the valve and I should be OK?

At the risk of exposing my true plumbing ignorance, there is no PRV in the system now, should there be one? If so why??

Thanks

Comment

A couple of reasons.
        Over 80P.S.I.

1.toilet ballcocks have a hard time closing as they breakdown
        2.More of a possibility of blowing an old supply line.
        3.Our code requires it.
        4.pipes can hammer when closed quickly(solenoid valves on washing machines etc.).

If your under 80P.S.I. I wouldn't worry about it.

The 3" nipple+ball valve should stop the molecules from dragging out of the galvanized pipe.

I would like to here the opinion of my elders here though,Just to firm it up.Could be overkill.

Comment

The 3" nipple sounds good but the prv goes by location. In this city, we only deal with 40-50 psi so I've almost never seen a prv here. You can by a simple gauge that will measure your pressure from HD in the plumbing section.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            4.pipes can hammer when closed quickly(solenoid valves on washing machines etc.).
            Adam, this is an example of difference of codes by cities in my area. I work in 5 different cities that are next to each other. In one of them, a water hammer arrestor is required next to each quick closing valve such as dishwasher, washing machine, toilet. An expansion tank doesn't count as a water hammer arrestor by their code.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              a water hammer arrestor is required next to each quick closing valve such as dishwasher, washing machine, toilet. An expansion tank doesn't count as a water hammer arrestor by their code.
              There is the same code in both the UPC and the IPC.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Mark
                This Forum is killing me.By the time my next opportunity comes up to bid on a project I'm going to be blown out of the water because I'm going to have to put all this extra s**t in

I've seen the washing machine box w/hammer arr.

Flushometers,ballcocks AAAHHHH!!!!!!!

Not one dang project I've done has had water hammer arrestors.Every one of em gets inspected.Sometimes by the chief plumbing inspector for their jurisdiction.(nothing)

You know I was going to try going off my meds this weekend

Comment

Adam,

Because we are still working with the 2000 UPC:

609.10 Water Hammer. All building water supply systems in which quick-acting valves are installed shall be provided with devices to absorb the hammer caused by high pressure resulting from quick closing of these valves. These pressure-absorbing devices shall be either air chambers or approved mechanical devices. Water pressure absorbing devices shall be installed as close as possible to quick acting valves.

In January we are starting the 2006 Edition of the UPC. I would recommend everyone spend a few minutes every night learning the Code we are working under. The worst it could do is make you a better Trades person.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Adam,

Because we are still working with the 2000 UPC:

609.10 Water Hammer. All building water supply systems in which quick-acting valves are installed shall be provided with devices to absorb the hammer caused by high pressure resulting from quick closing of these valves. These pressure-absorbing devices shall be either air chambers or approved mechanical devices. Water pressure absorbing devices shall be installed as close as possible to quick acting valves.

In January we are starting the 2006 Edition of the UPC. I would recommend everyone spend a few minutes every night learning the Code we are working under. The worst it could do is make you a better Trades person.

Mark

mark that sounds like a great idea. we could do a chapter a week and then be tested. or we can do a group read along and all learn it together.
                    maybe some of the high lites like you stated could be brought up in a new section to our forum. a code section. this would then be a great way to learn both our upc and their throw it together and hope it works code

i think it's a great idea. this way we learn and at the same time we don't skip a beat of the forum not to mention the guys that don't want to spend the $100+ on the new book can get a free update via our forum. dog would love that based on his old post

lets give it try and see what happens. i know it's busy with the holidays but maybe we can get it up and running by the first. this would be a great opportunity for everyone to be on the same page and really be able to not only learn the code, but be able to interpret what is written.

mark since you're up to date and the elder, i vote for you to be the teacher just don't assign too much homework

i'm up for it. do i get a second

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Mark
                      But this only applies in one city I work in. The other 4 don't require them. Adam, forgot to mention, the 18" air chamber doesn't count in their eyes as an arrestor. They want to see one of these.

http://www.siouxchief.com/Frm_MS.cfm
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I agree with both Mark and Rick I'm still hot under the collar for having to put hammer arrestors on all my ice maker supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          But this only applies in one city I work in. The other 4 don't require them. Adam, forgot to mention, the 18" air chamber doesn't count in their eyes as an arrestor. They want to see one of these.

http://www.siouxchief.com/Frm_MS.cfm
                          Cool,Now I'm really garaunteed the job when I start telling my clientel I need to put access doors in their $100,000 granite job in their bathroom or I can put it on the exterior siding second floor facing the courtyard.

Don't want to appear to be trying to shoot the messenger.I appreciate this forum and my peers here.You guys are now going to ask me If I put hammer arrestors on my future systems.I'm drawing a line here.I cannot put everything in and expect to get the job.And I'm not going to lie to the forum and say I put hammer arrestors on just to win the Ridgid forum miss congeniality contest.

Now someone wants to view my work as substandard? I put them on if they are included on the plans.I am currently in the CITY OF LOS ANGELES BEING INSPECTED BY VARIOUS SENOIR PLUMBING INSPECTORS.None are requiring a hammer arrestor on both of my single flushometer valves with over twenty foot runs.

Mark,I know you are right.If I had a complaint against me,you would have to inform your clients that I did not follow code.You are helping me and the forum.

I am still pissed that I have to put them in when the rest of the community does not even agknowledge that they are there.Customers will not have access doors.

Comment

adam, they make angle stops and washing machine adapters with arrestors.

how about my code refresher/ update course

it's not to late to win post of the year

rick.

plus you can tell melissa that you're studying and not playing on the forum

is that a yes
                            phoebe it is

Comment

I'm going to need some help convincing Melissa.

Your going to laugh,We're fighting over my forum compulsion today.She's busting her butt in the kitchen and I'm hanging out with the boys.

Definately interested in better informing myself.And becoming even more knowledgeableof the code.

YES!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X