Water Softeners and Water Heaters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Softeners and Water Heaters

Will the use of a water softener piped in before the cold goes into a water heater cause a liming of the tank or any hot water line leading out of the tank either by

normal operation

malfunction

improper setting of grain hardness

inadequate water heater flushing

water quality issue not addressed by water softener

I don't get involved with water softeners that much other than installing and removing/relocating and that's it. It's a very involved field of learning that takes me beyond what I want to know about them since I don't deal with them much.

Just wanted a consensus of what others feel is complimentary/contradictory to plumbing systems involving these units.

I know an example of a bad side of them; resin beads throughout the entire plumbing system is a huge task to remove/rid the system of the issue.

Pictures would be nice to see all the associated symptoms of a malfunctioning water softener as well. I'm asking these questions to get a confirmation of a situation I'm aware of and need an overall cut-dry proof that the problem relates to the softener.

Every water heater I've personally removed involving a softener has been literally caked on the elements or nearly impossible to remove sediment from the boiler drain effectively.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Water Softeners and Water Heaters

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
    Will the use of a water softener piped in before the cold goes into a water heater cause a liming of the tank or any hot water line leading out of the tank either by

normal operation

malfunction

improper setting of grain hardness

inadequate water heater flushing

water quality issue not addressed by water softener

I don't get involved with water softeners that much other than installing and removing/relocating and that's it. It's a very involved field of learning that takes me beyond what I want to know about them since I don't deal with them much.

Just wanted a consensus of what others feel is complimentary/contradictory to plumbing systems involving these units.

I know an example of a bad side of them; resin beads throughout the entire plumbing system is a huge task to remove/rid the system of the issue.

Pictures would be nice to see all the associated symptoms of a malfunctioning water softener as well. I'm asking these questions to get a confirmation of a situation I'm aware of and need an overall cut-dry proof that the problem relates to the softener.

Every water heater I've personally removed involving a softener has been literally caked on the elements or nearly impossible to remove sediment from the boiler drain effectively.

Now that you mention it. I've removed quite a few W/H with a water softener
    in the system that were loaded up with scale. Around here I assume the water softener is not in use (most are now just basement ornaments).

I also avoid Water Softeners like the plauge. The customer spends big money and the water problem isn't resolved because of my ignorance, or the thing brakes in a year or two, doesn't make for repeat customers. I know I'm not the only plumber with this problem because of all the-basement ornaments- I see. I'll let the guys that know softeners or the guys that don't care have the buisness.

Would be nice to be confident with them though, around here it could be a money maker.

Interesting question, I'll ask some of the other plumbers we work with if they notice any trouble.

Comment

"I know an example of a bad side of them; resin beads throughout the entire plumbing system is a huge task to remove/rid the system of the issue."

What about installing a strainer downstream of the softener? This would stop and carryover of resin that might escape. And the HO would know it too when the screen clogged up with resin beads and flow is blocked or greatly reduced. This would be an additional maintenance item but easier on the HO than having to get their system flushed. I would think this would be an easy sell after they had been through the ordeal once.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

If the water softener is installed and working correctly it should alleviate the liming not make it worse. As for resin beads getting into the system that just does'nt happen with the new softners.
        The biggest problem with softners is lack of maintainance. People put the in and then never service them. Some of the newer ones automatically adjust to varying water useage and also keep the head properly timed should the power go out.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          If the water softener is installed and working correctly it should alleviate the liming not make it worse. As for resin beads getting into the system that just does'nt happen with the new softners.
          The biggest problem with softners is lack of maintainance. People put the in and then never service them. Some of the newer ones automatically adjust to varying water useage and also keep the head properly timed should the power go out.
          Agree with you, I have hard water (Deep Well) in my area and you can hear the droplets klink when they hit the shower floor.

The Soft Water Filters take the minerals out and discharge them to the drain. The conditioned water that goes thru the systems has less desolved minerals and makes soap much more effective. It also feels better on your skin. It should also reduce scale buildup in the down stream pipes.

Comment

Working...
          X