Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Figured I'd ask the experts

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
    Now, I have left the trade for the most part after spending the last 5 years going to school nights for Construction Management and now work the management side of construction on large projects.
    Ok, I agree with just about all you said execept for the six figure part. I don't seem to have any trouble reaching that w/o OT.
    Not sure if you apply as a pipefitter Bob. Wouldn't you be more of a project supervisor? Or is this your way of telling us you make 6 figures? So I take it you got the tab on drinks at the Ridgid get together?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Ok, I agree with just about all you said execept for the six figure part. I don't seem to have any trouble reaching that w/o OT.

I suspect, like Ben says, you're a supervisor.
      Here's the question...
      How feasible would it be for you to open up shop in your business?

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
        I suspect, like Ben says, you're a supervisor.
        Here's the question...
        How feasible would it be for you to open up shop in your business?
        I am in a management or supervisory position now, but my answer was related to when I worked at the trade, so I guess I should have said;
        "I didn't seem to have any trouble..."

When I worked in NY a few years back, the taxes and property values on homes comparable in size and features to mine I thought were outrageous, but people from the area thought they were in line. When I have worked with people from other areas of the country, I see the same reaction as mine, sometimes my area is higher and sometimes lower than theirs.

It's all relative, 100K here is not enough to make it in NYC area (at the same level of comfort) but might be much more or less than is required in other parts of the country. The cost of living in any particular area dictates what your wages will be as much as anything else does it not?
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

It's all relative, 100K here is not enough to make it in NYC area (at the same level of comfort) but might be much more or less than is required in other parts of the country. The cost of living in any particular area dictates what your wages will be as much as anything else does it not?
          Absolutely.
          I'm a Bostonian, though it's expensive here I think NYC, L.A. and maybe San Fran have the highest overall costs of living.
          There was a distasteful fella who tried to explain that here not long ago, but blew his case with outrageous comments and effectively got banned.
          Some members thought he was bragging about price gouging when he mentioned job prices..it was just NYC rates.
          Ironically he informed me later that his take after overhead was pathetic, his approach unfortunately...was too.
          I think we gave this kid a great perspective for long term goals.
          Just to reiterate, I was NOT insulting anyone in using the "company man" phrase.
          Prior to self employment, I took great pride in working hard in the best interrest of the one who signed my paycheck.

Comment

Working...
          X