Water pressure too high after using hot water

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Water pressure too high after using hot water

Well, I am sorry you are having so much trouble with getting the help you need.

I make it a point to get the customer estimates within 24 hrs, and also, if I am not able to, give them a courtesy call to make sure they know I am on it.

Sucks that professionals are treating their customers this way.
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
      100% with that thought, seemed like pulling teeth just to get him to add the new T&P though.
      Really freaked me when the HD guy took precidence, but his confusion was understandable.
      pulling teeth and hair.

Originally posted by adamw View Post
      I called 5 plubmers on Friday...
      Got one on the phone immediately. He set an estimate appointment for me for that night. He showed up, albeit 20 minutes late. He seemed very knowledgable, reasonable, willing and able. Said he'd get back to me Monday with an estimate. Said he wouldn't be able to do the work until late this week or sometime next week. Haven't heard from him yet with the estimate. Just called him. He sounded really wishy washy. Saying he has yet to complete the estimate. Said he'd call me tomorrow.
      Got a call back from another another guy last night. Gave me a rough estimate over the phone. Said he couldn't come till late NEXT week. Said I'd call him back after talking to the wife. Plus I wanted to wait to hear back from the first guy.
      The other 3 have not returned my message.

At this point, sounds like I have two guys to choose from. I'm leaning toward the 2nd guy. If the first one is in no hurry to get the estimate too me, I guess he's in no hurry for the work. I, however, am in a hurry to get this resolved!

You could probably also blame the big box stores. They make even the dumbest people feel like they can DIY. Their bad advise doesn't help, either.
      what was wrong with our advise? before you spent more time and money on a regulator that you didn't need and didn't fix your problem

Adam...you gotta be kidding me!
      If a guy has to stop by and scope something as simple as installing an expansion tank...then sit down and do the math...thats not knowledgeable or experienced.
      I wouldn't make the effort to stop by...frankly it's too small to make it a 2 trip ordeal.
      If I had stopped by, it would be in and over with...weird to not take the 45min -1 hr to do it while there, if he knew what he was coming to look at.
      i too would have one on my truck and have it installed faster and cheaper than coming back later. nothing more than a 3/4'' tee and a fip. along with a ball valve for just in case when it ruptures down the road.

the time you spent on research, shopping/ parts, errors and everything else, what do you think you saved? sure you learned a lot, and got a good lesson, but it's like in your line of work you can't afford $140.00.

i do my own work on my work truck too. it's not because i can't afford it. it's because i can't have the downtime and i can do it on my own schedule.

even if it's on a sunday.

in your case, you had a serious issue that could have flooded as it did with the filter, or could have been worse with the bad relief valve.

why didn't the guy who replaced your filter come back to find and fix the real issue?

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

why didn't the guy who replaced your filter come back to find and fix the real issue?

rick.
        Cause I called him multiple times about it, he kept saying he would stop back to check the pressure again and/or call me back to set up a time to check it out and never did. I called him 3 times about it. He never followed through.

Comment

Rather than starting a new topic on the same subject, I figured I would add it here...

Symptoms -
          • High Pressure on Cold Water side AFTER hotwater heater has cycled - (~180-200psi, according to the HD guage)
          • Initially had toilets running randomly - replace guts
          • Had a saddle valve give up the ghost (1st laundry room flooding) - Replace the pipe that was on. The saddle valve was for a whole house water heater, has not been hooked back up.
          • Water Filter blew out (yesterday) making second laundry room flood

Corrective actions - to date
          • Replaced line that saddle valve was on.
          • Removed the Water Filter from the line by installing a straight thru pipe

Actions Need to be taken
          - This is based on the information found within this thread.
          • Replace PRV on Hot Water Heater, tested this today and when i extend the lever out, there is no water or air coming out - no noise.
          • Install Expansion Tank on Hot Water Heater side (cold) of the Pressure Regulator.

The house was built in 2001 and I'm the second owner. There were no water line modifications by the original owners. I installed a Water Filter and the whole house humidifier 2 years ago. This issue began this winter with the ground water temp running about 55f. I know the city I live in has made some modifications to add another housing development off the main line, but I don't think that should have an impact all the way down to my house level. I'm just interested in why this would begin to happen all the sudden, because the weakest link has been breaking and I have been fixing them?

We had a neighbor 2 doors down have their refrigerator water line burst on them (which IMHO) would be the weakest link the original plumbing setup. I did not ask is they had an expansion tank installed or if they found the source of the problem, they have since moved.

I am suspicious of the Pressure Regulator (WATT) that is within the house, but the water pressure is not high when the hot water heater is cycling - normal pressure is about 65psi - which is within spec's valve.

Anyway - anyone want to provide some feedback on the path I'm going down and if there is anything anyone else can thing of? Oh yea - I want to ask is anyone has an opinion on the "SharkBite" Fast Push-Fit Connections that HD is selling? I have used them in the past two repairs and I have not had any issues with leaking, they feel very solid. I am okay with soldering and have a mixed CPVC and Copper piping where the problems are working and the expansion tank are going to be installed. I know they cost more, but I don't want to have to go replacing these things in a couple of months - any opinions?

Thanks for the reading the long winded and rambeling post
          -Jay

Comment

Originally posted by JayH View Post
            Rather than starting a new topic on the same subject, I figured I would add it here...

Symptoms -
            • High Pressure on Cold Water side AFTER hotwater heater has cycled - (~180-200psi, according to the HD guage)
            • Initially had toilets running randomly - replace guts
            • Had a saddle valve give up the ghost (1st laundry room flooding) - Replace the pipe that was on. The saddle valve was for a whole house water heater, has not been hooked back up.
            • Water Filter blew out (yesterday) making second laundry room flood

Corrective actions - to date
            • Replaced line that saddle valve was on.
            • Removed the Water Filter from the line by installing a straight thru pipe

Actions Need to be taken
            - This is based on the information found within this thread.
            • Replace PRV on Hot Water Heater, tested this today and when i extend the lever out, there is no water or air coming out - no noise.
            • Install Expansion Tank on Hot Water Heater side (cold) of the Pressure Regulator.
            Well - completed the Actions to be taken...

Hot Water Pressure relieve valve was broken - new one works after testing.

The expansion tank was pretty easy as well - thread it on and go. I went with the 4.5gallon tank as my incoming water pressure is about 65 and I have a 55g water heater. Using their little graph on the side of the box said to get that size, so I did.

Everything is connected with those shark-bite connectors, with make life SO easy - but I'm still looking of opinions on them.

-Jay

Comment

You neighbors ice maker line arouses concern.
              I doubt the line itself ruptured, unless it was poly.
              The smaller the diameter on sched 40, the greater the pressure it can handle.
              More likey a self piercing saddle valve was used, they're awful - sold at HD's & Lowes everywhere.
              As for the Sharkbites...you'll be the best judge in a year or two as for how effective they are.
              I won't use them on potable/high pressure...doesn't feel right making my customers guinea pigs.
              Last edited by DuckButter; 01-12-2008, 06:23 PM.

Comment

You neighbors ice maker line arouses concern.
                I doubt the line itself ruptured, unless it was poly.
                The smaller the diameter on sched 40, the greater the pressure it can handle.
                More likey a self piercing saddle valve was used, they're awful - sold at HD's & Lowes everywhere.
                The fridges are what came with the house. Would new construction builders use saddle valves? Just wondering because if so, I'm pull my fridge out to replace the damn thing!

-Jay

Comment

jay, glad you found this thread as there is a lot of info here that would have o be repeated otherwise.

the main water pressure befrore the regulator is what psi? is there a backflow preventer or check valve on the system?

these are the 2 key issues i need to know to answer your question of why now

as far as shark bite. i am a big supporter and use them when needed.
                  i also own and support propress and a lot here are still skeptical.

answer the 2 questions and i will give you the answer you want

thanks for doing your search, research.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    j
                    the main water pressure befrore the regulator is what psi? is there a backflow preventer or check valve on the system?
                    I'm not sure how to check the PSI before the regulator, as both of my outside faucets are after the Pressure Regulator. I'll look around my outside meter for a testable location or if that info is on the meter itself.

As far as a backflow/check valve - my guess would be that is built within the pressure regulator, inside the house.

Not sure if guesses count as answers

-Jay

Comment

Originally posted by JayH View Post
                      I'm not sure how to check the PSI before the regulator, as both of my outside faucets are after the Pressure Regulator. I'll look around my outside meter for a testable location or if that info is on the meter itself.

As far as a backflow/check valve - my guess would be that is built within the pressure regulator, inside the house.

Not sure if guesses count as answers

-Jay
                      you can check with your water supplier for the high pressure side or see if a neighbor at the same elevation has a high pressure hose bibb and test there.

water pressure will drop approx. 1/2# (.48) per foot of elevation. so don't go looking at the house at the top of hill or the bottom. look at the same elevation.

the back flow preventer might be at the meter outlet. see the pictures earlier in this thread. also the water provider should know if you have meter protection.

guesses don't count, unless you want me to guess at your answers
                      phoebe it is

Comment

We had a huge discussion on sharkbites at the supply house, about 15 of us or so, and almost everyone agreed they are good for one thing, T&P lines

fast and non pressure. Overall, sharbites are junk and we will find this out in 10-20 years.

Propress and sharkbite are 2 totally different technologies and should no tbe compared. Pressing a fitting is much better then sliding a fitting into place, pipe expands and contracts and so will the teeth and the rubber o-ring, sharbites will fail.

Our conversation involved plumbers from me, being the youngest, to guys between 30-45, oh yeah and one 23 year old new construction guy.

Let us know they work out, I would have went compression fittings before sharkbite, as long as it is exposed.

Hope you noted the date of installation and initials (rick)
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

For the rest of the story go here:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15241
                          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
                          X