• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Water pressure too high after using hot water

Would heating it help?

Comment

Try heating it while tapping aggresively,not too much to melt the solder joint.We use a large crescent on the copper male adapter then a long pipe wrench on the brass.

Comment

Originally posted by adamw View Post
        I put the pressure gauge on the outside hose bib.
        The readings are the same. Around 50psi normally. After running hot water for 5 minutes, shutting everything off, around 10 minutes later, the gauge was up to 160.

Also, I manually opened the T&P and it did open and water came out (a bit brown at first). It seems to shut all the way, but I'm not 100% confident with that.

Finally, I wound up at Home Depot. I spoke with a couple of guys in the plumbing department. The one guy has been a plumber for 40 years. He recommended the first thing I do is replace the PRV. The other guy concurred that in this area, a lot of 8 year old homes are starting to need new ones.

So I bought one. I got the old one off. Now I have another issue. In the picture below you'll see what I'm going to call a brass fitting connected to the copper pipe. It is screwed on. Slightly behind that is the nut that will hold the fitting to the PRV. It seems the the threads on that nut are wider than the threads on the new one, so it will not fit when I try to attach it to the new PRV. So I need to get the fitting off so I can put the new fitting and nut in their place. Unfortunately, I can not get the fitting off! I've tried putting a wrench just behind the fitting (on the copper pipe nut) and turning the fitting with vice-grips. But it won't budge. I'm afraid to apply to much force, because if I snap the water line coming into the house (before the shutoff) I'm really gonna be screwed!

Any ideas on how to get this fitting off? Is there something I can spray on it?

Thanks!
        Before you go too far consider that if your PRV was bad your pressure would be high on the cold side as well. The PRV you currently have is a Wilkins 600. If you are replacing it with a different brand/model you would likely nrrd to change the union tailpiece and union nut. Heat might help but you shouldn't need it. If you do use heat be careful not to not cause the MIP adapter to end up out of round.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Using the suggestion for the crescent and pipe-wrench combo I was able to get it off. I also applied just a little heat first.

NOW #&%*#*%& with the new brass nut and fitting in place, when I tighten everything back up, I get a drip from that fitting where it connects to the copper.

Probably just should have called a professional from the beginning! Now I don't know what to do to get it to stop dripping. Before I put the new fitting on, I used a brass-bristle brush to clean up the threads. The first time, I put some plumbers tape on it. It leaked. I took it off, cleaned off the plumbers tape with the brush, put it all back without plumbers tape. It still leaks. I'm pretty sure I have the fitting screwed onto the copper as tight as it will go. I'm afraid if I try to make it any tighter it will snap something.

NOW WHAT!?!?!

Comment

If any of you professionals would be so kind as to PM me your phone number to maybe help me through this over the phone, I'd be very grateful!

Comment

[quote=adamw;114349]Using the suggestion for the crescent and pipe-wrench combo I was able to get it off. I also applied just a little heat first.

NOW #&%*#*%& with the new brass nut and fitting in place, when I tighten everything back up, I get a drip from that fitting where it connects to the copper.

Probably just should have called a professional from the beginning! Now I don't know what to do to get it to stop dripping. Before I put the new fitting on, I used a brass-bristle brush to clean up the threads. The first time, I put some plumbers tape on it. It leaked. I took it off, cleaned off the plumbers tape with the brush, put it all back without plumbers tape. It still leaks. I'm pretty sure I have the fitting screwed onto the copper as tight as it will go. I'm afraid if I try to make it any tighter it will snap something.

NOW WHAT!?!?![/quote]

go back to h.d . and speak to that pro with 40 years experiance.

oh, while you're there, buy the expansion tank everyone told you about. and you can return that regulator you didn't need.

if only you would read befeore you act. i'm taking this thread as a complete waste of our time.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

You need to prioritize the T&P valve on your water heater...absolutely most important..the rating on the pic states it's a 150/210, which is what it should be...yet it's not triggered by 160 psi..thats VERY bad.
                The "guy" at home depot is likely guessing.
                You safety is first priority, without a functioning T&P on that water heater it could explode.
                I'm not sure why you're replacing the PRV without doing the T&P and expansion tank first.
                If there's still an issue once the expansion tank is on...then you look into the PRV.

Comment

I'll put this in other terms...the guys at home depot give myself and a few others here a good living.
                  If I had a nickel for every customer that tells me "The guy at home depot said this would work", or "The guy at the hardware store said...."...I'd be retired.

Comment

rick and duckbutter are right how many hours to you have into this? and money in parts u didnt need? next time hire a plumber and save yourself some time and money.! what is your proffesion? ive worked on cars before but it doesnt mean im gonna tear apart my transmission just cuz a guy at the auto parts store thinks he knows what it is
                    Mike
                    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

I think Adam was on the right path by coming here but went astray towards the end. He could do this job if he listened to what everyone was saying. He got steered a little wrong by listening to the guy at HD. He never told us how to do our job or insulted us in any way. He came to us for help and posted in the right category but needs to remember to listen to the help offered. Adam, you can do this, take pictures of what's leaking or wrong. It'll speed things up. Just listen to us. Or you could just pay for a plumber.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by fronty
                        You seriously need to let it go Ben. Even though you won't admit it, you are constantly making references about me (do our job or insulted comment). You did this in a few other threads. You just need to stop thinking about me and concentrate on helping people here. IT'S OVER
                        What are you talking about? No one is thinking about you. It was over a long time ago, you just never realized it.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Hi Guys.
                          First of all, again, thank you for all your help, comments, advice, support, etc.
                          It may not seem like I am listening to you guys part of the time, but I am! I'm also listening to my neighbors from their own experience of either DIY or hiring a plumber. I'm also listening to people on other forums. I'm also listening to plumbers locally.
                          I am trying to process ALL of this information as best I can and make one (or more rational decision on how to proceed.
                          I am a computer programmer so my line of thinking is very much along the "debugging" and eliminating one thing at a time till I find the bug.
                          I've also worked on cars, and done fix-it type stuff around the house. I do consider myself fairly handy, but if things are outside my abilities I will go to the pros. I'm also very cheap. So if I can fix it myself, I will.

As for the leak, I fixed it. One of the guys from the forum recommend I get some pipe dope along with 2 layers of teflon tape. So I did that, and the leak is gone. I have adjusted my pressure to 50psi.

I bought a T&P valve and plan to put that in tonight. I'm hoping it is as straightforward as it seems. I'll be putting some teflon and dope on that too!

I was at HD looking to purchase an expansion tank. After looking at all that will be involved to install it, I think I am going to leave that part to a pro. A local guy is supposed to call me on Monday with an estimate.

I'll let you know how the T&P install goes. I'm also going to run my hot water test again to see if the PRV had anything to do with it. According to what the majority of what you folks are saying, it won't. But I will let you know the results of that test too.

Thanks again for all your help, and please do not feel like any of your efforts have been wasted here!

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            What are you talking about? No one is thinking about you. It was over a long time ago, you just never realized it.
                            Whatever Ben. Here is a quote from the Electric water heater thread.

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            Sauk 98, you were a great DIY'r to help out. You were respectful, kept us updated and never claimed to be something you're not. I'll help you out anyday.
                            It is the same crap you have been pm'ing me and were posting in my thread. Who else have you made claims about being something they are not? You know what I'm talking about. I know I touched a nerve with you for some reason, but you seriously need to let it go. You wouldn't leave me alone in my thread, through pms, and now through other threads. I'm asking you personally to drop it. This is getting absolutely ridiculous. I apologize for doing this out in the open, but I believe this is the only way. I'm 100 percent serious. Let this crap go.

Comment

The pressure off the street main is 100.

Comment

Originally posted by fronty View Post
                                Whatever Ben. Here is a quote from the Electric water heater thread.

It is the same crap you have been pm'ing me and were posting in my thread. Who else have you made claims about being something they are not? You know what I'm talking about. I know I touched a nerve with you for some reason, but you seriously need to let it go. You wouldn't leave me alone in my thread, through pms, and now through other threads. I'm asking you personally to drop it. This is getting absolutely ridiculous. I apologize for doing this out in the open, but I believe this is the only way. I'm 100 percent serious. Let this crap go.

Look who's not letting it go...Fronty. Are you paranoid or just an attention whore. Quit stalking Gear and give it a rest.
                                The Other Rick

Comment

Working...
                                X