Water pressure too high after using hot water

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Water pressure too high after using hot water

Whichever direction (hire it out or diy) you take, good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by adamw View Post
      I know it is your profession and all, but if I can do it myself, I'd like to save the $140. I'm not putting you guys down, I'm just cheap. If I wasn't cheap, I probably would have never had to check out this forum in the first place.
      Now, I know you were kidding, but this illustrates part of my angst with freebie online DIY requests.
      For all the paid advertizing that affords me calls with comments like "I can do this myself, but wondering what you'd charge." - Or the calls from people asking a lot of questions about what stock I use and how I do the work...taking 10-15 or more of my time trying to pick my brain..all at my time & expense...I hope you can understand my reservations.
      Things are slow right now for the trades in general..the humorous irony comes to mind that with the extra time on our hands, how many guys are in another forum hundreds or thousands of miles from me helping a guy I gave a free estimate to this month?
      Then there's the requests for gas work, or major work that would be rediculously inefficient to walk someone through online, with too many minute details that could be missed, creating potentially life threatening conditions.
      As for your dilemma, it's no life threatening task, worst case your without a shower for a night or two.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
        Now, I know you were kidding, but this illustrates part of my angst with freebie online DIY requests.
        For all the paid advertizing that affords me calls with comments like "I can do this myself, but wondering what you'd charge." - Or the calls from people asking a lot of questions about what stock I use and how I do the work...taking 10-15 or more of my time trying to pick my brain..all at my time & expense...I hope you can understand my reservations.
        Things are slow right now for the trades in general..the humorous irony comes to mind that with the extra time on our hands, how many guys are in another forum hundreds or thousands of miles from me helping a guy I gave a free estimate to this month?
        Then there's the requests for gas work, or major work that would be rediculously inefficient to walk someone through online, with too many minute details that could be missed, creating potentially life threatening conditions.
        As for your dilemma, it's no life threatening task, worst case your without a shower for a night or two.
        Duck, do you really think the advice offered on this forum and others like it is worth one eleventy-million'th of a percent of the total work out there? Not trying to argue, I just dont see the harm in offering advice.

Comment

Just read this Thread.

If it was my house the water heater would be shut off until it is fixed.
          I've seen the aftermath of an exploded W/H. The CPVC water pipe ruptured before the W/H in 2 instances. 1 had galvinized pipe going to it---not pretty---. None of the water heaters had pressure relief valves.
          I understand your relief valve is new and working fine but why take the chance.

Just a thought
          Saysflushable

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
            Duck, do you really think the advice offered on this forum and others like it is worth one eleventy-million'th of a percent of the total work out there? Not trying to argue, I just dont see the harm in offering advice.
            I agree, just an attempt to put things from my perspective.
            The point I made about more dangerous work stands though..you have seen more than your share of homeowners that swear by their credentials, all to see a trainwreck in work they'd done and then stand there and try to explain it has to be redone, as they seem convinced you're looking to make more money.
            The trades in general are incredibly easy to underestimate.
            Even for us at times...first few estimates on larger jobs quickly teaches us to remember the time & difficulty involved in particular tasks...even we tend to forget when it's on paper.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
              Just read this Thread.

If it was my house the water heater would be shut off until it is fixed......
              Just a thought
              Saysflushable
              100% with that thought, seemed like pulling teeth just to get him to add the new T&P though.
              Really freaked me when the HD guy took precidence, but his confusion was understandable.

Comment

The point I made about more dangerous work stands though..you have seen more than your share of homeowners that swear by their credentials, all to see a trainwreck in work they'd done and then stand there and try to explain it has to be redone, as they seem convinced you're looking to make more money.
                I have seen plenty of that. I see it less and less though as my new customer list decreases every year I am in business. I dont turn down all 'new' work that calls, but just like you, I can tell whether or not I should schedule a call with that person within 5 minutes of talking to them.

More to the point of the DIY threads, I like them. It forces everybody to think, and if everyone isnt learning something, they should be. I consider myself and above average Tech, and installer, and I still learn new stuff in the HVAC forum. I learn ALOT in the plumbing forums. Nothing I can ever apply, but atleast I have the knowledge.

One thing I do learn in about 95% of the DIY threads: The OP's would have spent less money to hire a local plumber to fix their problem, instead of "throwing parts" at their systems. NOT because of bad advice from the forum members, but of because bad descriptions of their own problems.

Comment

I can only say that properly installing a expansion tank and making sure that indeed that was your problem, is alot harder then fixing a leak on a PRV.

For $140.00, it does not seem smart to risk a flood in your basement, which will cost you more in the long run. The water being off for a night or two isn't even worth the $140.00.

I have become sympathetic to customers on tight budgets and have lowered my costs to take care of some of them, I believe the customer is not the blame of all this, the economy and the government have alot to do with us losing our work to not only DIY'ers, but also illegals.

Not only plumbing, but electrical, gardening, painting, framing, tile, drywall, every trade is suffering because of the "influx" and no one will believe it until it is to late.

Sadly, people cannot afford to get a Qualified, Knowledgable service tech who does a quality job, and whats worse is their house is their largest investment.
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

So I guess this means you won't be wearing your "Ridgid Forum" hat to the county fair.

Comment

• Re: Water pressure too high after using hot water

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      So I guess this means you won't be wearing your "Ridgid Forum" hat to the county fair.
                      No problem with the Ridgid forum at all...just going on and on and on about my rationale for a pro only forum..and on, and on.
                      Many of my tools have the Ridgid name on them, the ones that are good...doesn't mean I'm a walking billboard for them.

Comment

No problem with the Ridgid forum at all...just going on and on and on about my rationale for a pro only forum..and on, and on.
                        Many of my tools have the Ridgid name on them, the ones that are good...doesn't mean I'm a walking billboard for them.
                        I'm just teasing ya.I know how much you honor Ridgid.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                          I can only say that properly installing a expansion tank and making sure that indeed that was your problem, is alot harder then fixing a leak on a PRV.

For $140.00, it does not seem smart to risk a flood in your basement, which will cost you more in the long run. The water being off for a night or two isn't even worth the $140.00.
                          I called 5 plubmers on Friday...
                          Got one on the phone immediately. He set an estimate appointment for me for that night. He showed up, albeit 20 minutes late. He seemed very knowledgable, reasonable, willing and able. Said he'd get back to me Monday with an estimate. Said he wouldn't be able to do the work until late this week or sometime next week. Haven't heard from him yet with the estimate. Just called him. He sounded really wishy washy. Saying he has yet to complete the estimate. Said he'd call me tomorrow.
                          Got a call back from another another guy last night. Gave me a rough estimate over the phone. Said he couldn't come till late NEXT week. Said I'd call him back after talking to the wife. Plus I wanted to wait to hear back from the first guy.
                          The other 3 have not returned my message.

At this point, sounds like I have two guys to choose from. I'm leaning toward the 2nd guy. If the first one is in no hurry to get the estimate too me, I guess he's in no hurry for the work. I, however, am in a hurry to get this resolved!

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                          I have become sympathetic to customers on tight budgets and have lowered my costs to take care of some of them, I believe the customer is not the blame of all this, the economy and the government have alot to do with us losing our work to not only DIY'ers, but also illegals.
                          You could probably also blame the big box stores. They make even the dumbest people feel like they can DIY. Their bad advise doesn't help, either.

Comment

Adam...you gotta be kidding me!
                            If a guy has to stop by and scope something as simple as installing an expansion tank...then sit down and do the math...thats not knowledgeable or experienced.
                            I wouldn't make the effort to stop by...frankly it's too small to make it a 2 trip ordeal.
                            If I had stopped by, it would be in and over with...weird to not take the 45min -1 hr to do it while there, if he knew what he was coming to look at.

Comment

Adam...you gotta be kidding me!
                              If a guy has to stop by and scope something as simple as installing an expansion tank...then sit down and do the math...thats not knowledgeable or experienced.
                              I wouldn't make the effort to stop by...frankly it's too small to make it a 2 trip ordeal.
                              If I had stopped by, it would be in and over with...weird to not take the 45min -1 hr to do it while there, if he knew what he was coming to look at.
                              Actually, he didn't know about the pressure issue. As of Friday morning, I was calling around for estimates on a tankless system. When this guy got out, I talked to him about all my other issues too. So we actualy discuessed a few things: Changing the T&P (which I already did now), adding an expansion tank, moving the unit about 2 feet, and putting a pan under it. He said he still has to get a price on the pan.
                              The guy that called me last night was able to give me an estimate on the phone for the expansion tank. $140 (labor only).

Comment

Originally posted by adamw View Post
                                You could probably also blame the big box stores. They make even the dumbest people feel like they can DIY. Their bad advise doesn't help, either.
                                Imagine a "programmers bargain outlet" that sold compilers, editors and full DIY "professional" quality programming quicky tutorials along with top notch advice on programming.

Then you get calls from mystified customers with blank looks who can't figure out where the 5 thousand syntax errors are, as they explain "It's almost done...shouldn't take you long... shouldn't cost that much...right?"

Comment

Working...
                                X