Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm going to daisy chain TWO on demand heaters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I'm going to daisy chain TWO on demand heaters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
    A few years ago I installed a Rinnai as a boiler for an addition. Flipping through their website now I don't see the piping diagram I used. In fact, I dont see any space heating diagrams. I wonder if they don't recommend that anymore.
    I just took the class recently from Rinnai. If anyone going to DC wants a copy of their installation literature, PM me and I'll bring it up with me.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I have a friend who is an electrical contractor and recently switched to a small electric tankless. He and his family have had to endure some colder than normal showers but he says he is saving $100 per month on his electric.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        also i see a small electric water heater, is that for your circ. line? This should be 6 gal water heater. It's installed so there are no "cold spots" of water. Kinda evens things out a bit. Our instructor said you could use a 2 gal WH but the hot/cold lines aren't the right size so 6 gal is the minimum.
        i was under the impression that pex and cpvc needed to be 18'' from the heaters? That's what the code is here but they did do a pretty good job of that cpvc. I disagree with a couple things but it looks good at first glance.

rick.
        Ben
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Look at the two different installers.
          The owner of the company who did the show pipe under units.

Then turns it back over to the crooked pipe crew.AAAARRRON

Take a good look at your future,PLUMBERS

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            arron, interesting that they ran medium pressure gas, but didn't have to vent the gas regulators. also i see a small electric water heater, is that for your circ. line? are all these heaters connected to a common 3/4'' or 1'' cpvc line?

i was under the impression that pex and cpvc needed to be 18'' from the heaters?

is this for both domestic heating and space heating? or do they use a lot of hot water?

rick.

Rick, I see regulators and they do make regulators that don't need to be vented.

Yes, the electric water heater is for the circulation line.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              I have a friend who is an electrical contractor and recently switched to a small electric tankless. He and his family have had to endure some colder than normal showers but he says he is saving $100 per month on his electric.

Mark
              Semi-humorous thought...If you were taking cold showers, you'd use it less too.
              What I've learned of the electric tankless's is the only difference in operating cost is the lack of standby heat loss...doing the math on standby heat loss for a 50 gal tank comes to maybe a few bucks a month.
              Most electric heaters run in the high 90% efficiency range, tank or tankless, so I'd like to know how he's saving that much?
              For giggles, I typed a search for "surface area of a water tank" and found this site...though I'd wager it's outdated, I'd also wager it's not too far off:
              Hot Water Heater Tank, Heat Loss Calculation

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                The company I work for did this house. I don't remember off hand the model these heaters were, sorry.

I have a few questions for the pros. It is hard to tell, but it looks like they ran 3/4in cpvc to feed all the units. They then transitioned into 1in cpvc, which is the main hot water line and cold water line inlet. Wouldn't this cause a restriction? It seems like they need high volume for this structure. Wouldn't it have been better to run the 1" line the span of the units? They would then "T" into it and add a reducer bushing before entering each tankless unit. Basically, they would run the 1" line the entire way.

Also, I'm assuming these things are not staged because I do not see any solenoids etc. Is this correct? Would they all be set to come on at the same time?

Comment

The west coast crew must still be out drinking.

Comment

the gas regulators have a pop it in the vent and this does not allow the gas to come out if the regulator blows .

if i was to run the gas line i would have ran one line to the top of the heaters at a higher pressure then put a regulator on that line and run a header with all the branches to the other heaters . i would have ran hard pipe and not yellow pipe ,it looks better .but looking at the other pipes looks don't mater here
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

whats the point of that install?im looking at atleast $5000 just for the tanks? and there is obviously enough room for a tank whats the benefit of that system? i dont have alot of knowledge with the tankless?
                      Mike
                      Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                      www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
                        whats the point of that install?im looking at atleast $5000 just for the tanks? and there is obviously enough room for a tank whats the benefit of that system? i dont have alot of knowledge with the tankless?
                        There is about a million BTUs hanging on the wall which represents a lot of fuel. Instead of having a couple of large tanks heating water 24/7 you have tankless heaters which have controllers which fire the heaters on demand and only enough of the heaters to supply the needed demand.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                          the gas regulators have a pop it in the vent and this does not allow the gas to come out if the regulator blows .
                          Shouldnt the vents off those regulators be piped outside?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	68454a8a9464b53e689a21e10b474c82.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	2494

I downloaded Aaron's photo and squared it up. Things don't look so out of plumb now for the most part. Also, I'm thinking that each of these tankless heaters is dedicated to a specific Bath, Kitchen, or Power room, and their output is not combined to feed to whole house (I believe Aaron said this was a house).
                            ---------------
                            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                            ---------------
                            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                            ---------
                            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                            ---------
                            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Sorry guys, there was a whole page worth of posts that I missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
                                Shouldnt the vents off those regulators be piped outside?
                                depends on the code we can just have the pop it in for small regulators
                                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                                X