Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: confusing recirculating hot water/sediment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
    Ratty,I think your hot is drawing off the line at the bottom of the tanks.

Need a check valve on it.All tanks have sediment.You can flush the tanks today into a bucket and tell us what you find.When they plumbed it I hope they left you a drain spigot/hose bib.

Pictures of piping?
    I think you got it, plus when he flushes the tank he's prolly getting a large amount of water from the line as well as the tank...meaning his flushing isn't as effective....defintely needs a check valve.

Comment

I leave swing checks out of gravity circulation lines. I do install 2 isolation valves in case someone wants to add a pump later. I'm not sure the weight of cold water will push past a swing check Gravity circ. is easy here with rowhouses. All of the bathrooms are stacked over each other.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        I leave swing checks out of gravity circulation lines. I do install 2 isolation valves in case someone wants to add a pump later. I'm not sure the weight of cold water will push past a swing check Gravity circ. is easy here with rowhouses. All of the bathrooms are stacked over each other.
        Because his system is not working properly at this time I'm thinking the check valve.

There is the fact that I left out on purpose that it is Steve's little trick with the check.I'll let it go awhile till I know it's O/K for me or someone with his permission to say something.I think it may help our O/P.

Comment

WHY ARE YOU SITTING IN A HOTEL 100'S OF MILES FROM YOU HOME ON A COMPUTER?????

GET OFF YOUR BUTT AND SHOW YOUR LADY CALIFORNIA!!!!!

GO TOUCH TONGUES WITH A WHALE OR SOMETHING.

Last edited by drtyhands; 01-06-2008, 01:24 PM.

Comment

I thought of trying to turn off the recirculation lines but there are no shut off valves on those lines. The lines are soldered into a nipple on the drain valve stem.

After some testing this morning, it is clear that the recirculating system does not work on the far side of the house. It does work on the side closest to the water heaters.

Most of the discharge occurs in the master bathroom sink immediately after the hot water valve is closed. That is to say that once I turn off the hot water, a few drops filled with sediment will drip out. I am wondering if once the hot water is turned off the backflow has an immediate chance to push past the now turned off faucet to drip out ?

What do you want pictures of...I will get, and how do I upload the pictures to you??

Comment

A wide angle including the heater,hot outlet and recirc,hopefully all in one shot.

Yep,I had a feeling there would not be anything at the bottom.Do they at least have something at the bottom so you can flush the tanks?

Comment

it wont let me upload pics...says my pic file is too large

Comment

there is the standard drain valve that I can hook my hose to......but the recirl pipe is on this stem, and is soldered in. I have pics but how do I post as They say my file size is too large

Comment

We have to wait for the others to help us.I am a computer idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by rcatty View Post
                      there is the standard drain valve that I can hook my hose to......but the recirl pipe is on this stem, and is soldered in. I have pics but how do I post as They say my file size is too large
                      You need to resize your photos. Here is a link to a free download of the program I've used over the last few years.

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

It is a very user friendly program.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Good chance it would slow it down, but from what Rcatty says, it barely works as is.
                        On top of that, seems to have become a counterproductive detriment with the sediment issue.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                          I think you got it, plus when he flushes the tank he's prolly getting a large amount of water from the line as well as the tank...meaning his flushing isn't as effective....defintely needs a check valve.
                          After reading this, wanted to be clear...I didn't intend to sound like a check would do anything for aiding with flushing the tank.
                          Personally, I'd probably put in a circ, or eliminate it altogether.

Comment

How much does cold weather affect a gravity system if the supply riser is on an exterior wall?

I'm trying to figure out how the system is not working properly.

I don't think that furthest bathroom is ever going to be part of this system with a pump and check valve.Which may be what is going to have to be installed,along with some way to flush the tanks.based on the information as I understand it now.

I can't beleive a plumber left the tanks with no way to drain.Recirc tied into the stem? Very confusing instalation.

Mark,
                            Maybe your new N.O.R.A.D. supercomputer has a crystal ball program you can run on this

Comment

I betcha the circ line is split.
                              He says one side of the house works, the other doesn't.
                              If it is split, then the shortest loop is going to over-ride the longer.
                              Explains why he says it works well on the side nearest the heater...I also bet there's no limiting or control valve, like a circuit setter on either split.

Comment

Maybe a check valve??? the stem??? Really need pics!!! pics would answer all our questions, I am sure.

Take pics of this sediment also.
                                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                                X