confusing recirculating hot water/sediment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: confusing recirculating hot water/sediment

Here are some of the pics; special thanks to the member who pointed me to the downsizing software.....
    Attached Files

Comment

additional pics
      Attached Files

Comment

more pics
        Attached Files

Comment

On the two recirc lines that connect to eachother, then a single 3/4" line goes straight up...does that line split in two directions above?

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
            On the two recirc lines that connect to eachother, then a single 3/4" line goes straight up...does that line split in two directions above?

It looks like they split off at the second picture, the one with the insulation.

The debris looks alittle like rust from a tank, it could also be from the copper pipe. Who put pepper in your hot water tank??

I would cut the line after the tee, above the water heaters, where it goes to one line, install a ball valve, it is very easy to do this right there, and shut it down, see if you have hot water pressure, see what changes, if the sediment stops, you found your problem. your out nothing because you should have these isolated anyways.
            Last edited by westcoastplumber; 01-06-2008, 07:24 PM.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
              It looks like they split off at the second picture, the one with the insulation.

The debris looks alittle like rust from a tank, it could also be from the copper pipe. Who put pepper in your hot water tank??

I would cut the line after the tee, above the water heaters, where it goes to one line, install a ball valve, it is very easy to do this right there, and shut it down, see if you have hot water pressure, see what changes, if the sediment stops, you found your problem. your out nothing because you should have these isolated anyways.
              Why not just put a check then?
              Needs to be on the horizontal, so he'd have to add an offset, but that would still allow it to "possibly" function.

I think thats what you meant..I think.
              Last edited by DuckButter; 01-06-2008, 07:29 PM. Reason: misinterpretted

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                Why not just put a check then?
                Needs to be on the horizontal, so he'd have to add an offset, but that would still allow it to "possibly" function.

I think thats what you meant..I think.

Your in hiding ducky!!!! invisable opinions don't count

Ok then, add a check and a ball valve, either way, there needs to be a ball valve on there, it is a must.

A check is a great idea, easy to install and cheap, when you install it with the ball valve, at the same time.

a 3/4 ball valve, a 3/4 check valve, a little section of type L pipe, maybe a coupleing if you can't move the pipe a bit.
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

picture dsc o71 shows where the two lines split. That is after several bends and about 10 linear feet from the drain valve hook-up.

Ok, so what do I need, and where?

Thanx for your help, I really appreciate it!

Comment

Add a ball valve to each side to isolate/balance the two recirc. lines befor they tie together(https://www.ridgidforum.com/filedata/fetch?id=615415)
                    add aball valve to each side to isolate the two tanks, when they split to tie into the bottom of the tank.(https://www.ridgidforum.com/filedata/fetch?id=615411)
                    the sediment is most likely the tanks or the nipples on top of the tanks.
                    Just my opinion
                    Mike

Comment

The ball valve functions as a shut-off valve...correct? Does that go on the vertical line up after the initial tee and before the line bends to a horizontal?

The check valve would have to go on a horizontal ? How far up the line from the initial bend to a horizontal ?

Thank you

Comment

We already know that it is in the hot no/yes?

A ball valve on each water heater hot riser so if one goes out he does not loose hot water entirely I suggest.

A ball valve on the 1" combination riser? What are we trying to accomplish with this.
                        Last edited by drtyhands; 01-06-2008, 08:20 PM.

Comment

rcatty,have you flushed out the heaters yet to see if the sediment output decreases out of the faucets.

The system could still be drawing out of recirc return line.

Let the copper cool down.turn the faucet on like you would normally which pipe gets hotter supply or return,give it some time,a couple of minutes should tell you a difference.

I'm looking to maybe putting a ball valve,union and check with a modification on the return.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                            We already know that it is in the hot no/yes?

A ball valve on each water heater hot riser so if one goes out he does not loose hot water entirely I suggest.

A ball valve on the 1" combination riser? What are we trying to accomplish with this.

I figured 1 ball valve, where the line ties toghether, above the tee. Now that you mention it, maybe 2 would be good, 1 for each, right off the top of the tee, at the bottom of the water heater, so when one or the other water g
                            goes out, you can isolate it, and also isolate it to complete this test.

No need for three ball valves on the system, either one after the 2 lines tie in, or 2 att he bottom of the heaters, to isolate each instead of both at the same time.

I don't think this is 1", it looks like 3/4 and 1/2
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                              Your in hiding ducky!!!! invisable opinions don't count
                              It's all good till ya get 5 PM's because someone thinks your around when you fell asleep logged in...weighing the lesser of two evils...might switch back.

Comment

Originally posted by rcatty View Post
                                The ball valve functions as a shut-off valve...correct? Does that go on the vertical line up after the initial tee and before the line bends to a horizontal?

The check valve would have to go on a horizontal ? How far up the line from the initial bend to a horizontal ?

Thank you
                                The check valve is going to be modified by drilling an 1/8" hole in the swinging internal flapper.This is the Modification that the plumber has allowed me to post.This is going to be installed on the return.horizontally as close to the now inlet of the heater.

Comment

Working...
                                X