X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boosting Municipal Water Pressure?

I am surprised that web search seems to bring up one Mfgr. for this seemingly common problem (isn't it?).

I have only 40 - 50 PSI from city. What options are there for boosting pressure? How does this "Davey Pump Mfgr." get 80 or so PSI boost W/O a "holding tank"?

Sceptical - but maybe it does work? I have brand new 3/4" street meter and 1" PEX svc line about 50' from meter to house. All lines in the house after branching to HW tank are new 3/4" pex which then branch to individual fixtures from remote manifolds with short 1/2" PEX lines.

Any advice? Worth spending $600 to $1,000 or so to fix? Thanks.

Re: Boosting Municipal Water Pressure?

this makes me wonder..... i have 55lbs and i feel i have more then enough pressure, why do you feel you don't?
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

At around 50 PSI you should be fine, if your experiencing low flow twist off aerators on faucet spouts and clean ..you might be surprised by whats in them.
      If thats not the trouble, you might look into what size main you have coming in underground to your home.

Comment

If its new construction, his strainers could be partially blocked.

Weather its new or not, he may have 50 psi "static" pressure, but may have very little with one fixture open (not enough volume).

Comment

It's NEW const. & nothing is hooked up EXCEPT former kitchen sink. I did clean the aerators and made little difference. A garden hose sprays OK but not like I expected with a brand new 3/4" meter & brand new 1" PEX water service line. (A house we rent while doing this remodel is 9 blocks away & the garden hose there is like a freakin Fire Hose! - same municipal suuply - probably larger street main- 5/8" original 1950's W.meter) (You have to back the shower off in this house because it actually hurts at full throttle!) I was hoping for same or at least better performance at our new house.
          It may be good enough - no way to know untill a shower is hooked up. I'm sure I can install something later - just wanted to start learning about options & costs & surprised by lack of info.

Comment

Grundfos makes a nifty little pump for this purpose also. No tank needed.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by biscuit View Post
              If its new construction, his strainers could be partially blocked.

Weather its new or not, he may have 50 psi "static" pressure, but may have very little with one fixture open (not enough volume).
              My point exactly, at 50 PSI flow should be fine with a 3/4" main.
              Sure sign of blockage or constriction.

Comment

I've always wondered:
                I think my meter is only 1/2" and my house is quite old. My pressure is "so so" but I would like more. I suspect flow is what I lack due to small lines. I've often daydreamed of putting in a bladder tank like you'd use with a well system and maybe some kind of check valve... If everything downstream of the tank was 1" and only dropping to 1/2" where I can't access it (Not going to re-plumb the whole house) Would that gain me anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Kneescar View Post
                  I've always wondered:
                  I think my meter is only 1/2" and my house is quite old. My pressure is "so so" but I would like more. I suspect flow is what I lack due to small lines. I've often daydreamed of putting in a bladder tank like you'd use with a well system and maybe some kind of check valve... If everything downstream of the tank was 1" and only dropping to 1/2" where I can't access it (Not going to re-plumb the whole house) Would that gain me anything?
                  I doubt it, if you have a 1/2" line feeding more than one bath, you'd lose flow after one or two fixtures being on under normal pressure.
                  Also, using that setup would only temporarily give you a boost until the bladder expelled...you'd want a booster pump to keep it consistant.
                  The best course for you would be increasing the main size.

Comment

Regarding the above...The bladder would only fill to the incoming pressure, unless you have flow restriction at or before the meter it wouldn't do much.

EDIT: looked right past the mention of 1"...a booster pump might do the trick.
                    Last edited by DuckButter; 01-08-2008, 05:40 PM. Reason: I'm a dope

Comment

Increasing the main is the easy answer, but the bottleneck, I would think, is the 1/2" line from the street to the meter. If I change everything in the basement to 1" and it's still feeding from that restrictive line (underground) then the situation wouldn't improve. Would it?
                      It's not bad enough that I'll probably ever make any changes until my kitchen remodel encourages messin' around.

Comment

Might improve, but doubt by much.
                        And to be clear, I interpretted your post as saying you already had a 1" line.
                        I confuse a ham sandwich.

Comment

Found some great people in New Hampshire who will supply a pump system and great cust. service!

Comment

Working...
                          X