Is this right?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this right?

My daughter had some plumbing work done in 2005 by a national company. (Rhymes with Mr. Hooter). They repaired a leak that was inside a wall behind her water heater. Last week she noticed some dampness in the same area and had someone else look at the problem. The attached picture is what they found. The leak was coming from where a fitting was glued to a 3/4" cpvc line. This was on the water heater inlet side. The same type of "repair" is still on the outlet side of the heater. This leak had been going on for quite a while and there is some mold under her house from it. I'm wondering if this was a correct way to do this work. I am not a plumber but even I would not use glue to connect brass to cpvc.
    Attached Files
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Re: Is this right?

wish you can post a wide angle picture to see the rest of the area.

there is no brass to cpvc do it yourself glued on fitting. these transition fittings are all factory made.

it's hard to tell from that close up what exactly you have. but it looks like the adapter/ transition fitting is not on a cpvc line and if so, the glue is more of a orange yellow color for cpvc.

widen up the photo for a better overall view.

p.s. i don't work with cpvc, but i am exposed to it's design and installation requirements.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      wish you can post a wide angle picture to see the rest of the area.

there is no brass to cpvc do it yourself glued on fitting. these transition fittings are all factory made.

it's hard to tell from that close up what exactly you have. but it looks like the adapter/ transition fitting is not on a cpvc line and if so, the glue is more of a orange yellow color for cpvc.

widen up the photo for a better overall view.

p.s. i don't work with cpvc, but i am exposed to it's design and installation requirements.

rick.

Plumber Rick is right, that is not a transition fitting, and the glue was yellow but is now orange flowguard gold. I used cpvc for years on mobile home repipes, with all the transition fittings. Have them come back and do it right. Rick
      The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rick1643 View Post
        Plumber Rick is right, that is not a transition fitting, and the glue was yellow but is now orange flowguard gold. I used cpvc for years on mobile home repipes, with all the transition fittings. Have them come back and do it right. Rick
        just to make it clear would a larger / wide angle shot, photo make it easier to read?

you are the "other rick"

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

This is the piece that they had cut out and I laid it on the floor for the picture. The outlet side is identical to what this was and is still attached. I will have her take pictures tonight.
          Thanks for the replies.
          When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            just to make it clear would a larger / wide angle shot, photo make it easier to read?

you are the "other rick"

rick.

A wider pic would definately help, I'm not possitive that it is cpvc, it might be pvc, which still doesn't make it right. I've seen someone use abs glue on pvc, but never seen anybody glue plastic pipe to brass...The Other Rick
            The Other Rick

Comment

Pretty sure thats NOT CPVC cement...the right stuff is conspicuously yellow, that looks like regular PVC cement.
              The fitting could possibly be a CPVC to copper adaptor, but hard to see if it has a CPVC hub inside the brass from the pic.

Comment

that is a sec 40 pvc st 90 into something not sure what it is
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

There appears to be writting on the brass fitting. I would like to see larger pictures, from multiple angles. It does not matter if it is still connected or not, atlest we can see all sides of the fitting and both hubs are very important.
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                    There appears to be writting on the brass fitting. I would like to see larger pictures, from multiple angles.
                    Brightened, cropped and enhanced the color/contrast.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here's a guess

That's Brass male adaptor to CPVC 90.....that's a given.

The installer probably hand cranked that fitting in since there's no claw marks on the brass or plastic,

broke the factory transition weld upon install. High water pressure might be partially to blame, who knows.

Any work been done around this connection, maybe indirectly? I don't get accused much of leaks.....but when I do, I ask questions that you'd never think yields the answer I'm looking for.

EDIT

After re-reading the post, I can say that in KY there has to be a minimum of 18" of metallic piping coming out of the water heater before transitioning to any plastic piping. CPVC takes a beating when it's exposed to extreme temperatures. If this was a gas heater and they made turns of directions close to the top of the heater, the temperature near the draft diverter is multiple times that of the water temp. The plastic doesn't have to look burnt in order to decipher that cause and effect.
                      Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 01-10-2008, 01:55 AM.
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Beat me to it, but yes, if the connection from the heater to the cpvc is too short, thermal expansion will work on the factory joint and cause failure. I've seen it before.

PS still hate cpvc
                        sigpic

Comment

Here we're required to have 24" from any hot water source for any plastic pipe, either hot or cold.

Comment

some of you are calling this CPVC it looks white to me and CPVC is a light yellow is it not ?
                            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Now that you mention it, it does look like PVC and not CPVC.

Comment

Working...
                              X