X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insinkerator Disposer Changes

I can't seem to find the right thread so I'll just ask it.

Have any of you that are serious plumbers seen any changes to the mount design of Insinkerator garbage disposers? I know they keep changing models, but this would be to the mounting. I don't see anything that seems new on their web site.

Re: Insinkerator Disposer Changes

it's been a while since i had to buy a new one off the shelf. i usually buy them once a year and try to beat the price increase. as far as i know the mounting ring is the same it's been for the last 30 years.

did you know that insinkererator and ridgid are siblings

both part of the emerson electric group

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Ummmm.......I think I'm a serious plumber...........so I'll post an answer

Nope, no changes. Just remove your old one (could be a Kenmore too, same flange) and put on your new one.

One minor change though, the mounting flange fastening screws are now a Torx 25 versus the old slothead.

Tracy
      sigpic.................I Love My Toto Bidet :twofinger2: :twofinger:

Comment

The only noticeable change I've found is on the Evolution series with an additional 3 longer set screws for thin type installations like stainless steel.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Yes, to Insinkerator being an Emerson Electric product. Kenmore used to be ISE but my bet is anymore they get some junk made off shore anymore. Emerson Electric owns a good many companies. Ridge is one of them. How many of you know the name "Browning" for power transmission products? EE owns them too.

As for the 2 sets of screws, I've heard some other brands are including them. One set for thin sinks like the SS ones and another for thicker (over 3/8") sinks like mine which is cast iron.

Comment

there was a big hoo ha in the mountain bike world about 10 years ago about a 'browning transmission' that was going to make the front derailleur obsolete... never materialized... thats the only browning trans i know.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

InSinkerator came out with a pro compact series, much fatter disposal with 2 sets of screws for the disposal flange, it also has a rubber soft gasket that the disposal 90 attaches too, makes the whole thing much quieter when in use.

the 2
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

InSinkerator came out with a pro compact series, much fatter disposal with 2 sets of screws for the disposal flange, it also has a rubber soft gasket that the disposal 90 attaches too, makes the whole thing much quieter when in use.

the 2 sets of screws, one set is for stainless
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Thanks everyone and I was mixed up. It's Waste King that has a wild mount. They also have the standard 3 screw mount models too.

Info on Waste King: http://www.anaheimmfg.com/

I wish Waste King was like they used to be made. All guts and no flash.

Comment

waste kings have turned to junk, Insinkerator is the best top of the line disposal now.
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

At a new Lowes near me they have special models of the Insinkerator Badger and Evolution disposers. They are made only for Lowes and are junked up versions of what you'll find at a plumbing supply house. If you look close you can tell they are different. The bar codes on the boxes are the really way to tell, and they are not the same. In the past I saw a Badger 7 at Lowes that was a Badger 5XP but in a different color. Now they have a Badger 10 which is a trashed Badger 5XP if there is one. The Lowes Evolution models are unique and are not the quality of the Evolution sold at places like Ferguson or Noland. My bet is that what's sold at Home Depot are junked up too.

I ran into this with Delta faucets. What the big box stores sell is not the real product, but rather a special cheaper made one just for the big hogs to sell.

I agree with Westcoast about Waste King being junk now. When I think of Waste King, I think of when they were a real product, but then that was say 25 years ago if not longer. The Insinkerator Evolution Excel (not the one Lowes has) is a great home use disposer. Installed correctly it should do about anything you ask of it and for years. Why bother with a cheap one? It's the installation that matters and takes effort and time.

Anyway this is getting off track. I was wondering about any mounting changes. As best as I can tell any real thing Insinkerator uses the 3 screw mount they have been using for a long time. I hope they keep it.
                      Last edited by Woussko; 01-11-2008, 09:59 PM.

Comment

You make very valid points Woussko, people do not realize they are purchasing a cheaper version at big box stores.

Very good thread woussko!!
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Please see this eBay listing and enlarge the pictures. The seller has several and my bet is they are a pawn shop.
                          http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-EMERSON-INSI...QQcmdZViewItem
                          You'll see right on the box where it says Only at Lowe's!

This is a special model made just for Lowes and it's called the Evolution Esteem. This is nowhere the disposer that the Evolution Excel is. Lowes has other exclusive models of Insinkerator disposers. They all have been junked up so Lowes can ***** us over making huge profits. Be forewarned, do not buy this junk. Buy the real thing Insinkerator from a reputable plumbing supply house. There is a difference.

I can't seem to find that model on the Lowes web site now, but here's another that's made only for Lowes. A call to Insinkerator customer service confirmed that yes, they do make special models for bog box stores. Some are house branded and some say Insinkerator but with changed model names/numbers.
                          http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ier&lpage=none
                          Last edited by Woussko; 03-17-2008, 11:40 PM.

Comment

I've never bought one of these disposals personally, the customer always has it sitting there waiting for me to install and I'm positive it's from a big box store.

So far, no problems and all have been satisfied customers.

Are you saying they are made cheaper and of less quality?

Since this site is an extension of emerson electric, I would think they would be able to clarify the differences.

It is by far though, and excellent product it seems with a good reputation for longevity. Badger 1 and you get what you pay for, it's the cheapest model out there.
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

On my way home tonight I installed an owner provided big box wasteking disposal, and though the installation was nothing out of the ordinary, a couple of items to note-

1. the mounting flange (and nut assembly) was all plastic, there was some kind of chrome plated pot metal (at best) shiny cover on the flange(wonder how long that will last).

2. the whole unit about $100 at Orchard Supply (per owner) had no real substantial weight to it, seemed like complete crap to me.

I would have much rather installed the tried and true ISE even entry level badger if only for the metal mounting flange assembly. I have a feeling I may be getting a call back because of the plastic nut that connects the flange-Didn't want to crack the damn thing on install.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                              X