Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rough plumbing Inspection - Calif question

Thanks WestCoast,
    Yes the flat vents are on an angle, maybe not exactly 60 degrees but definitely above centerline of the main.

As far as the combi, did you see an earlier picture?
    I changed it out to a wye this morning and took another picture, it definitely eliminated one of the bends and is a much cleaner flow path.

Do you think the inspector is going to be picky about being exactly 60 degrees on the flat vents? or will he see that they are pointing uphill and above the centerline of the main 3"?

All of the pipes that are inside my forms are backfilled pretty much, the stuff outside the forms and near the house are just laying in the trench for now until I am satisfied I have it dialed in.

Thanks a lot for the compliments, it is a fun project but this part of it....the plumbing has been a pain in the butt, I have been frustrated a few times and wasted a few fittings in the process.

Comment

The 3x2 wye needs to be kicked up above the flowline then leveled back to horizontal with an eighth bend.We usually use a 4x3 ell on out W/Cs so a 4"water closet flange can be installed after concrete.3" are too resstrictive on the discharge horn of the toilet.

Who knows how educated the inspector is.I think I saw an inspectors certification card on the back of a cereal box the other day.
      Last edited by drtyhands; 01-13-2008, 05:44 PM.

Comment

as was already mentioned in roberts and adams post. you need to have that 2'' vent for the toilet on at least a 45 degree angle upward. 45 degree is considered vertical and will pass inspection. flat venting is not allowed in this case. now if the inspector is not that critical, then at least install a c/o on the 2'' vent line as it can plug and not self clean if you get a stoppage on the 3'' line.

as adam has mentioned, a 4x3'' closet bend is a wise choice. also wrap/ foam insulate around the bend for your concrete pour and any pipes that penetrate concrete.

looks great for a diy

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,if I was an inspector and failed him for flat venting I should be taken out front of city hall,tarred and feathered.

Scream has an existing structual condition allowing him to flat vent,his tie in elevation

Also,he's better off not foam wrapping now.A lot of the inspectors these days want to see all of the pipe and fittings.He should do it before the steel goes in,then touch it up after the steel scrapes it to shyt.
          Last edited by drtyhands; 01-13-2008, 07:25 PM.

Comment

you changed the pics !! The pics with the comby and 1/8th are gone

I do like the wye, a much better, cleaner, free flowing drain line

the crap won't be on a roller coaster now.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              Rick,if I was an inspector and failed him for flat venting I should be taken out front of city hall,tarred and feathered.

Scream has an existing structual condition allowing him to flat vent,his tie in elevation
              not saying the inspector will call him? still if it can be properly vented, it should be. also a c/o on the vent if it remains flat is required.

all he has to do is get the waste line/ vent way closer to the wall and then he can 45 up. he is allowed a 6' dirty arm if needed.

by the way, i like your chicken just the way it was prepared. no tar and no feathers

although, once at a hamburger hamlet we got chicken wings with the feathers still on them needless to say, the placed was out of business less than a month later

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

God I could kick myself in the *** right now.
                The plumber that I met at Lowes who was nice enough to say something to me when I was curiously looking at a combi told me what the combi was (I already knew that but it was a nice segway into my next question), anyway I had a picture printed out of how I had the waste lines roughed together and he told me it was wrong, he then told me I could flat vent it and pulled out a 3x2 wye and stuck an 8th (street) bend on it and told me how to do it.
                I was so freaking excited that there was an easy solution that I completely forgot to put the 8th bend on it when I got home.
                Now all that stuff is glued together and I know I will have to cut it out and re do it.

Man this is frustrating.

P.S. he told me and I did mention in an earlier post that I was going to put a cleanout on the flat vent.

P.S.S. Since I am going to have to cut this stuff out and redo it, can you guys tell me how to get a 4" closet bend in there?
                That has me completely perplexed.
                Last edited by Team Scream; 01-13-2008, 08:13 PM.

Comment

on your "toilet" 1/4 bend, you need to use a 4 x 3 closet bend or 4 x 3 1/4 bend. your waste will still be 3", its just your verticle to the toilet will be 4"
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

was a lot of work scream wasn't it. i like to run everything on right angles, not angeling across to your sewer that way you can also put a t on it's back for a vent to line up with a partition wall for the vent to run up. keep us informed on your inspection. they usually catch all flat venting. never heard of a cleanout for a flat vent in ohio.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                      on your "toilet" 1/4 bend, you need to use a 4 x 3 closet bend or 4 x 3 1/4 bend. your waste will still be 3", its just your verticle to the toilet will be 4"
                      Thanks bro!
                      Well after getting all the way to Home Depot only to realize I forgot my wallet I made the round trip again and got the 4x3 closet 90.
                      I also got new 3x2 wyes and 1/8 bends so I can redo the flat vent as you guys have me scared now that I do not have enough angle on the wyes.
                      I will be up at 6:30 AM tomorrow so I can bang it out before my plumber buddy shows up with the test balloon so we can test the system.
                      I want to do a dress rehearsal before the inspector shows up.

Thanks for all the help fellas.
                      For my first DIY plumbing project, I figure I have wasted about $130.00 in fittings and about 4 or 5 hours on the learning process which still leaves me ahead of the game a bit in my book.
                      I love the learning process, hate the frustration, and hate doing things twice but since I am learning it has all been a good experience so far.

I really want to do this part right before I call the inspector out, I don't want the guy to think I am hacking anything, especially this early in the game.

Comment

Scream,it looks good.It's going to look a lot better to the inspector if you could throw some backfill around the pipe(shading is the term we use here).This helps keep the pipe's uniform fall.Just put dirt in the ditches and drag your SQUARE shovel along the top of the pipe.This will leave a small amount of the top of pipe and fittings for the inspector to see.If you do have leaks they will soak and discolor the soil.He is going to want to see the pipe laying on a firm bed.

Comment

I made a sifter, it works exellent, it gets all the rocks, debris out of the spoil.

clean spoil does please the inspector and remember to have 12" of clean dirt over the pipe
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                          X