Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rough plumbing Inspection - Calif question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rough plumbing Inspection - Calif question

    Well man this forum is amazing, the quality of people who frequent the place is outstanding, this is my 2nd thread here.

    Here is what I have.

    2 small detached offices in my back yard going up.
    These offices are slab on grade in which the back wall of each building is a CMU block wall.
    The plumbing for each building is at the back near these block walls.
    I am almost done with the rough plumbing which consists of 1 toilet and one sink in each office.
    I really want to get plumbing inspection done tomorrow if possible so I am trying to prepare for it.

    The inspector hinted that I will need to do a drain test and mentioned a 10' vertical pipe, but this guy is not very forthcoming with the information so I need to know what the rule of thumb is when doing this.

    I imagine that I will have to plug the clean out with one of of those rubber inflatable devices at the lowest part of the drainage system (where it enters beneath the house and connects to the main) and then fill the entire system with water and pull the plug when he is ready to see it drain?

    My questions:

    (1) Placement of the 10' section of vertical (test) pipe?
    Do I use a 10' piece of 3" pipe sticking up vertically out of the toilet drain (closet bend)? or somewhere else?

    (2) Do I just put rubber caps on the toilet vents and sink drains?

    (3) Since he wants to see all of the fittings how do I support all of the waste line pipes that are just sitting in their trenches on stakes with plumbers tape which hold them at the proper slope now?

    Thanks for any advice.
    I witnessed the drain inspection when we did the main house a couple years ago and I remember having to fill the vent line with a hose from the roof until water came out of the other vents, but since these offices are much smaller and there are no vents through the (not yet existing) roof I am at a loss here.

  • #2
    Re: Rough plumbing Inspection - Calif question

    Originally posted by Team Scream View Post
    Well man this forum is amazing, the quality of people who frequent the place is outstanding, this is my 2nd thread here.

    Here is what I have.

    2 small detached offices in my back yard going up.
    These offices are slab on grade in which the back wall of each building is a CMU block wall.
    The plumbing for each building is at the back near these block walls.
    I am almost done with the rough plumbing which consists of 1 toilet and one sink in each office.
    I really want to get plumbing inspection done tomorrow if possible so I am trying to prepare for it.

    The inspector hinted that I will need to do a drain test and mentioned a 10' vertical pipe, but this guy is not very forthcoming with the information so I need to know what the rule of thumb is when doing this.

    I imagine that I will have to plug the clean out with one of of those rubber inflatable devices at the lowest part of the drainage system (where it enters beneath the house and connects to the main) and then fill the entire system with water and pull the plug when he is ready to see it drain?

    My questions:

    (1) Placement of the 10' section of vertical (test) pipe?
    Do I use a 10' piece of 3" pipe sticking up vertically out of the toilet drain (closet bend)? or somewhere else?

    typically on something this small, i would run the vent up to the roof level and fill it to the roof . a 2'' vent is required for the toilet vent. the 10' mark is basically a 5psi test.

    (2) Do I just put rubber caps on the toilet vents and sink drains?

    a jim cap is a rubber cap. they are fine.

    (3) Since he wants to see all of the fittings how do I support all of the waste line pipes that are just sitting in their trenches on stakes with plumbers tape which hold them at the proper slope now?

    i would hope that you backfill the ditches to a firm bed of sand. the rebar is not a good idea on abs pipe. neither is metal plumbers tape. the pipe will move with temperature and the metal can wear it thin. backfill to the bottom of the pipe and pull the stakes.

    Thanks for any advice.
    I witnessed the drain inspection when we did the main house a couple years ago and I remember having to fill the vent line with a hose from the roof until water came out of the other vents, but since these offices are much smaller and there are no vents through the (not yet existing) roof I am at a loss here.
    post some pictures of your progress and we can give you a once over

    typically the ruff inspection will include all the underground. so unless you have all the other lines, water, gas , electrical. you might be a little early for the inspector. this is a combination inspector, correct? have him come and inspect and then get his call on what he wants to see next when he comes out again.

    rick.
    phoebe it is

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Rough plumbing Inspection - Calif question

      The "other" lines and rebar in footings are installed after groung work soil pipe inspection and backfill to rough grade but before sand and visqueen.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Rough plumbing Inspection - Calif question

        Adam, I am sure you will agree, Jim Caps can and will blow off during a 10' head test, I would use a test waffer or knock out and then a jim cap.

        Shading the sewer and drains is an excellent idea, clean spoil will please the inspector and at the same time, keep the pipe stable and ready for backfill with no belly's.
        sigpic

        Robert

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Rough plumbing Inspection - Calif question

          I always had to leave my joints exposed until after the pressure test was done.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Rough plumbing Inspection - Calif question

            Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
            Adam, I am sure you will agree, Jim Caps can and will blow off during a 10' head test, I would use a test waffer or knock out and then a jim cap.

            Shading the sewer and drains is an excellent idea, clean spoil will please the inspector and at the same time, keep the pipe stable and ready for backfill with no belly's.
            Thousands of jim caps under test Robert sometimes 30' on 2" with no support.Displace all air and cap.no blow.Knock out I.P.O.'s I use on top out

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Rough plumbing Inspection - Calif question

              Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              Thousands of jim caps under test Robert sometimes 30' on 2" with no support.Displace all air and cap.no blow.Knock out I.P.O.'s I use on top out

              hmmm, I member you and I having this conversation and you agreed that they do blow out, I for one have heard them blow out.
              sigpic

              Robert

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Rough plumbing Inspection - Calif question

                Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                Shading the sewer and drains is an excellent idea,
                What do you mean "shading"?
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Rough plumbing Inspection - Calif question

                  Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  What do you mean "shading"?
                  Putting backfill around pipe leaving the top exposed for inspector

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Rough plumbing Inspection - Calif question

                    Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    What do you mean "shading"?
                    covering the pipe with an unbrella so the white pvc, doesn't turn into black abs

                    rick.
                    phoebe it is

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Rough plumbing Inspection - Calif question

                      You guys are awesome and funny at the same time, what a great place.
                      I will do on the "shading" and I will use test caps and jim caps on the other lines, now all I need to do is figure out how to seal the clean out at the house so I dont have to spend $50.00 on a "hot dog".
                      I will post up some pictures tomorrow....I am beat up today, too many hours under the house today...I am feeling my age...
                      Thanks for the help guys!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Rough plumbing Inspection - Calif question

                        Originally posted by Team Scream View Post
                        You guys are awesome and funny at the same time, what a great place.
                        I will do on the "shading" and I will use test caps and jim caps on the other lines, now all I need to do is figure out how to seal the clean out at the house so I dont have to spend $50.00 on a "hot dog".
                        I will post up some pictures tomorrow....I am beat up today, too many hours under the house today...I am feeling my age...
                        Thanks for the help guys!
                        go to costco and a hot dog and coke is $1.50

                        these usually can be rented or a double test plug.

                        can you just jim cap the last connection and let the water out after the test? no problem if the water is not under the house. another way is visquene, then snake to pop the visquene and then remove the plastic visquene when drained.

                        try to get the plumber to bring you 1. you will need him down the road.

                        or you can do a 5# air test and not have to worry about the spilt water under the house or ditch

                        or you can spend the 50 on the donkey d$ck

                        rick.
                        phoebe it is

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Rough plumbing Inspection - Calif question

                          One thing is certain.
                          While on strike, I don't think Team has any concerns his writing (comedy?) job is jeopardy from anyone here.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Rough plumbing Inspection - Calif question

                            Originally posted by Team Scream View Post
                            ...so I dont have to spend $50.00 on a "hot dog".
                            I can probably send you one; took one out of a clogged main line today. I left it with the homeowner but after he's used it to hit the guy who left it in his cleanout over the head a few times he'll be done with it.
                            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Rough plumbing Inspection - Calif question

                              Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                              hmmm, I member you and I having this conversation and you agreed that they do blow out, I for one have heard them blow out.
                              I do remember us talking about it.We used jim caps because the I.P.O.'s were not glued on the day before and we didn't know when the inspector was going to show on your job.So the glue would not dry in time to fill your top out up.Plastic crushes and slips off if you don'y put a I.P.O. plug in the pipe first.

                              The inspector has no way to tell if there is water in the stacks during a ground work inspection with IPO's.Niagra or jim caps for ground work.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X