Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Connect Gas hot water heater exhaust to furnace exhaust?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connect Gas hot water heater exhaust to furnace exhaust?

1- I have a forced air gas furnace & hot water gas system. Can I combine the exhaust pipe from the water heater into the exhaust pipe for the forced air furnace with a y adapter?
    I am living in NH, will that meet the building code?
    2- Also, I am looking to combine the dryer exhaust pipe to the central vacuum exhaust; can it be done safely?
    And... last few questions;

3- The heat saver (plastic box) that connect to the dryer exhaust... is it safe?

Does it meet insurance & building codes?
    Where should that be install... at the end before it get outside?

Re: Connect Gas hot water heater exhaust to furnace exhaust?

Originally posted by runner7 View Post
    1- I have a forced air gas furnace & hot water gas system. Can I combine the exhaust pipe from the water heater into the exhaust pipe for the forced air furnace with a y adapter?
    I am living in NH, will that meet the building code?
    2- Also, I am looking to combine the dryer exhaust pipe to the central vacuum exhaust; can it be done safely?
    And... last few questions;
    3- The heat saver (plastic box) that connect to the dryer exhaust... is it safe?
    Does it meet insurance & building codes?
    Where should that be install... at the end before it get outside?
    Of course every jurisdiction is different so you should check with your local building department.

1. If properly sized and positioned your FAU and water heater can use a common vent. This does not include power assisted appliances.

2. I would be surprised to hear it was legal to tie your dryer vent and vacuum exhaust together.

3. They are not legal as the code requires a dryer vent be vented to the outside,

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

for the dryer you defiantly need to go out side if it is gas fired
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Mark, Thank you!

1. It's a 4" pipe for both vent, so it should be Ok to combine based on your reply. I was concerned that if only one system is functioning (ex. hot water) while the other is off; there could be exhaust fume back filling into the system that is not in function (in this example: the furnace). That's why I suggest a Y to redirect the burned gas towards the outside. Is that a correct assumption?

2. & 3. I am not surprise of your answers. PVC and metal is not a good combination and more likely won't meet any code.

Comment

Make sense!

Comment

If you have any powervent or direct vented gas fixtures, they CANNOT be connected together.
            The question of whether you know or not that they are comes to mind...if they are draft vented, there is a very specific way to size them...if these requirements aren't met you could create a back draft/exhaust rollout/spill hazard.
            To put this in perspective...the stuff that comes out of a cars exhaust pipe is the same as gas appliances...even a small leak or back draft can build overnight while you sleep.
            You're in the same region as me...it's in the news all the time, especially in the winter with boilers & furnaces running.
            This is something you may want a pro to look at..CO exhaust is a serious concern whenever gas appliances are installed.

Comment

Mark, Thank you!

1. It's a 4" pipe for both vent, so it should be Ok to combine based on your reply. I was concerned that if only one system is functioning (ex. hot water) while the other is off; there could be exhaust fume back filling into the system that is not in function (in this example: the furnace). That's why I suggest a Y to redirect the burned gas towards the outside. Is that a correct assumption?

2. & 3. I am not surprise of your answers. PVC and metal is not a good combination and more likely won't meet any code.
              I checked your Code and you are under the IMC. The IMC requires the dryer vent to vent independently from all other exhausts.

On combining the water heater and FAU we would really need to know the model number and BTU rating of both appliances before giving you an answer.

Mark

Comment

Fair enough... this work is not for me!
                BTW, I am new to this forum and I am not sure if you guys see my replies; do you?
                Thanks!

Comment

I am not sure if you guys see my replies; do you?
                  Thanks!
                  clear as a bell.

Comment

Similar to this question, can I connect my clothes dryer vent to my gas-fired hot water heater exhaust? My only other alternative is to drill another 4" hole in one foot of brick.

Comment

Originally posted by SkittlyRit View Post
                      Similar to this question, can I connect my clothes dryer vent to my gas-fired hot water heater exhaust? My only other alternative is to drill another 4" hole in one foot of brick.
                      Do not tie them together.

Mark
                      Last edited by ToUtahNow; 01-20-2008, 03:06 PM.

Comment

the gas dryer will have a lot of lint in it and you don't want this backing up flue gas in to the house

not good
                        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by SkittlyRit View Post
                          The blower from the dryer would create a hazard back-venting through the heater, absolutely a bad idea.

Comment

Working...
                          X