Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone work for Christian Labour Association of Canada?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone work for Christian Labour Association of Canada?

I live in Hamilton Ontario and am wondering if anyone knows where I would be working if I were to join CLAC? Do they have contracts?

Re: Does anyone work for Christian Labour Association of Canada?

I'm out west , and I went to school with about five guys who were members. The jobs they were working on were government subsidized "affordable housing" (200k for a 2 bedroom townhouse is hardly affordable housing) townhouses. As was my understanding they have dibs on alot of affordable housing stuff. Sorry i dont have any info about any ontario projects
    West Trail Mechanical Ltd
    Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

GodCanHelp, what is the CLAC? What do they do?

Comment

I am represented by CLAC. CLAC is different than the international union as you get a job with the company not the union. But you could contact the hall and ask them what companies they represent
        Last edited by PLUMBER JAY; 01-14-2008, 05:15 PM.

Comment

i work for CLAC, but as a union rep, not as a plumber. My office in Grimsby, Ontario is one of 4 in Ontario and one of 12 in Canada. Clac.ca will give more info than i will write here. Our union is 55 years old, represents workers in all sectors, including all construction trades, and offers a model for organizing labour that covers all of an employer's workers in all trades. Nationally, we represent over 45 000 workers covered in around 600 collective bargaining agreements.
          We have offices in BC Alberta Manitoba and Ontario. Clac plumbers enjoy excellent wages, pension, working conditions and job security.
          We provide training to equip our members in their trade; our next program teaches the Code and Guide for Plumbers, particularly the Part 7 changes to the OBC.
          for furhter info, check our website, and/or email me.

Comment

CLAC is a union that pays less to its members than any of the UA locals that most plumbers are represented by.
            West Trail Mechanical Ltd
            Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

The last I knew CLA was a :"company" union that as the man said represented all construction trades. i.e. You may be a plumber today, a carpenter the next, painter the third, etc. All for the same pay!!!

Comment

Hmmm, is that like the handyman's union??

I knew there was one somewhere.
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

The plumber hourly pay rates, pension, benefits, etc in CAs between CLAC locals and our signatory contractors provide high earnings. Further, the job security and other provisions allow those rates to be multiplied by a full year's worth of work in most cases. The resulting annual earnings are more important than what a person can earn in an hour.
                  a multi trade CA provides the similar working conditions for all an employer's workers on site. It does not mean work assignment to different trades from day to day. However, a multi trade CA does foster a work community that makes inter-trade cooperation more likley, thus creating efficiencies. The union, the CA and the law ensure that only qualified journeypersons and registered apprentices do the work as required in their trade. The CLAC does not operate in the USA; the CLA-USA does have locals in Minnesota (and elsewhere) that also provide good CAs and representation. They are not "company unions" either.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew regnerus View Post
                    The plumber hourly pay rates, pension, benefits, etc in CAs between CLAC locals and our signatory contractors provide high earnings. Further, the job security and other provisions allow those rates to be multiplied by a full year's worth of work in most cases. The resulting annual earnings are more important than what a person can earn in an hour.
                    a multi trade CA provides the similar working conditions for all an employer's workers on site. It does not mean work assignment to different trades from day to day. However, a multi trade CA does foster a work community that makes inter-trade cooperation more likley, thus creating efficiencies. The union, the CA and the law ensure that only qualified journeypersons and registered apprentices do the work as required in their trade. The CLAC does not operate in the USA; the CLA-USA does have locals in Minnesota (and elsewhere) that also provide good CAs and representation. They are not "company unions" either.
                    Read it carefully and draw your own conclusions.

Comment

"and the law ensure that only qualified journeypersons and registered apprentices"

I suppose , one of these days I will get used to political correctness, but I doubt it.

Besides, it's four more letters to type. Uggggg
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X