X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #Toilets Per Line

I was recently on a cruise (NCL Star) and consistently experienced a backed up toilet and shower. After talking to maintenence about this problem they explained multiple times that the ship had 50 toilets per line, and that if anyone in any other stateroom (that also happened to be on the same line) happened to flush something down the toilet that was too big, I would also be affected.

As an architecture student I am somewhat aware of codes and understand that they vary from city to city, state to state, and country to country. I also understand that they probably differ when it comes to ship and naval design. However, I was astounded when I was told that there were 50 toilets per line. Is this type of design typical in high-rise or large commercial buildings?

There were 16 decks on ship and approximately 2000 rooms (each with its own w/c) in addition to multiple other public w/c's per floor.

-Chris
    IIT Arch '09

Re: #Toilets Per Line

Plumbing on a ship is a whole different animal than plumbing in a building. for the reason that the ship moves from the waves but buildings stay still. (i believe it is all pumped drainage)
    50 toilets on one drain is nothing uncommon it just has to be sized. For example the city sewer takes all the toilets from all the houses in the area.

Comment

Gee, maybe thats why so many people seem to get sick on cruise ships, Poo in the shower.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        Gee, maybe thats why so many people seem to get sick on cruise ships, Poo in the shower.
        You might be on to something there. That and the HVAC system.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

cruise ships use a vacuum system for the toilets. very little water.

there was an "incident" on a cruise line that i heard about.

the over weight female passenger who made a complete seal around the seat and bowl actually was able to flush while she was seated

needless to say, the plumber had to remove the toilet and transport her to the emergency room at the next port. she was disemboweled

her inners went outers

this is a true story as i brought it up with the captain over dinner for 14 nights. we were running out of stuff to talk about. nothing like being the first at dinner and the last to leave. i guess the captain need some young blood around him as the average age was 80+ on that cruise. florida to los angeles via the panama canal.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I'm sure you had him on the edge of his seat Rick.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              cruise ships use a vacuum system for the toilets. very little water.

there was an "incident" on a cruise line that i heard about.

the over weight female passenger who made a complete seal around the seat and bowl actually was able to flush while she was seated

needless to say, the plumber had to remove the toilet and transport her to the emergency room at the next port. she was disemboweled

her inners went outers

this is a true story as i brought it up with the captain over dinner for 14 nights. we were running out of stuff to talk about. nothing like being the first at dinner and the last to leave. i guess the captain need some young blood around him as the average age was 80+ on that cruise. florida to los angeles via the panama canal.

I heard this same story about an airplane toilet, the mythbusters were testing the MYTH.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
              X