X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance question

I posted a couple of days ago with a sewer smell question (coming from kitchen sink after washing machine emptied). Taking this forum's advice, I called a local plumbing company. A quick trip with the auger (I am not sure exactly what the thing is called) proved the problem to be a collapsed line under the slab due to roots. They ran into mud and roots only 6 or so feet from the sink. Does anyone know if homeowners insurance provides any coverage? I realize that every policy has exclusions and I will need to pull my policy tomorrow at the office and read it carefully but offhand, any ideas regarding coverage? Thanks

Keith

Re: Insurance question

Originally posted by keithb View Post
    I posted a couple of days ago with a sewer smell question (coming from kitchen sink after washing machine emptied). Taking this forum's advice, I called a local plumbing company. A quick trip with the auger (I am not sure exactly what the thing is called) proved the problem to be a collapsed line under the slab due to roots. They ran into mud and roots only 6 or so feet from the sink. Does anyone know if homeowners insurance provides any coverage? I realize that every policy has exclusions and I will need to pull my policy tomorrow at the office and read it carefully but offhand, any ideas regarding coverage? Thanks

Keith
    You should check your policy but most policies I have worked with cover ensuing damaged caused by a "sudden break". In other words the repair to a broken pipe is not covered but the damaged caused by the broken pipe, the damge to access the broken pipe and the damage to repair the broken pipe are covered. A drain line which has roots in it would not be considered a "sudden break" it would be considered maintanance.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I've done some insurance repairs in the past. Like Mark said depends on your particular policy. Some will pay for removal/replacement of anything to give access to the pipe but not the plumbing repair itself; less the deductable of course.

It's definately worth a phone call to your agent

Good luck

Comment

Rereading your original thread, I think you should get a second opinion. Your symptoms don't seem to add up. Did these plumbers video inspect your line?
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          Rereading your original thread, I think you should get a second opinion. Your symptoms don't seem to add up. Did these plumbers video inspect your line?

I completely agree, get 2-3 opinions before completing major work like this.

Make sure they run a camera and make a vhs tape.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by keithb View Post

Keith
            keith, out of the hundreds and hundreds of sewer videos i've done, i can't remember seeing a collapsed line. roots all the time.
            i would think you would have a track record of these problems from before?

get a second opinion and possibly a good jetting to clean the line. i would be surprised if it truly was a collapsed line.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Hi dear whts up? I have read your complexity regarding insurance. As far as I know about insurance it doesn’t coves. But take second advice from your agent.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                keith, out of the hundreds and hundreds of sewer videos i've done, i can't remember seeing a collapsed line. roots all the time.

get a second opinion and possibly a good jetting to clean the line. i would be surprised if it truly was a collapsed line.

rick.

Hmm, I had 2 last year, one cast iron, broke apart, could see the dirt and the mud very well, couldn't pass at all, under a slab.

the next was 11 feet deep, the saddle connection, clearly collapsed on video, out of all you do, I am suprised you have yet to see one.
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
                  Wow, i just did 2 inspections last week, next door neighbors, both of their lines were collapsed down by the sidwalk, huge sinkhole...looked like someon just stepped on the pipes and broke it down.
                  The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

I think we will probably need to get a second opinion for insurance if for no other reason. The estimator for the plumbing co. came today and wants to do a re-route for the kitchen sink and washing machine out the wall and then around the yard back to the main. I KNOW there is a leak into the kitchen as I see /feel the water when the washing machine empties. I saw the guys "hit" the end yesterday about 6 feet from the sink cleanout. He came back twice with mud and roots. I know nothing about this so I am curious: Can the system/drain pipe still be used even if there is mud and roots in it if they could auger past the obstruction? If so, then it makes real economic sense to get someone in to try to drill past it. BUT, the pipe is still broken isn't it? Just cleaning out the obstruction doesn't solve my problem of a leak does it? Thanks for all of the opinions and help. This forum is a true service.

Keith

Comment

no It Does'nt Solve Problem Because If You Have Broken Pipe The Mud Keeps Running Into Pipe Blocking It, " If" A Plumber Could Get It To Clear Temporary !

Jerrymac Masterplumber & Master Drainman
                      JERRYMAC
                      E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                      CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                      FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                      SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Working...
                      X