X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locating "Bug" by Rigid??

Good day, Gents- I'm looking to get a "bug" that runs a signal through my whole cable. I now use a Mytana camera with the sonde in the camera head, but more often than not, I have need to charge the entire cable with a signal, which mine won't do. I recall a guy I used to work with would duct tape a sonde to his cable and get signal through the entire cable. I have heard that Rigid has a "line locator" that does this. Does anyone know of it, and, will the Rigid sonde transmit to the Mytana 512hz locator? Any help is greatly appreciated!
    "...then there was that dusky gal in Bangkok...real crossway breeder I swear"

Re: Locating "Bug" by Rigid??

Originally posted by rafterq View Post
    Good day, Gents- I'm looking to get a "bug" that runs a signal through my whole cable. I now use a Mytana camera with the sonde in the camera head, but more often than not, I have need to charge the entire cable with a signal, which mine won't do. I recall a guy I used to work with would duct tape a sonde to his cable and get signal through the entire cable. I have heard that Rigid has a "line locator" that does this. Does anyone know of it, and, will the Rigid sonde transmit to the Mytana 512hz locator? Any help is greatly appreciated!

try here first
    http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/NaviTrack-Transmitters

the ridgid sonde 512 hz will be fine for any 512hz. reciever.

truthfully tracing the entire sewer with energizing a snake is not near as accurate as a camera and a sonde. the sonde will be pin point and give you exact depth. the cable tracing is prone to much interference and inaccurate readings with possible crossovers. to other utilities or piping.

sure if you want speed, great, if you want accuracy, you want a sonde.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Re: Locating "Bug" by Rigid??

For your most accurate locate, the sonde behind the camera head is the way to go. It is a powerful beacon and will not jump off onto other utilities. It also ties your locate to a definite point. However, there are times when you wnat to trace the whole cable.

I cannot speak for how this would work with your Mytanna camera, but here is how I have energized RIDGID SeeSnake cameras:

1. In metalic or clay pipes, you do not need much length, but in plastic pipes, the more push cable you have in the line the stronger the signal. If you can push the camera through the plastic portion to a non-plastic main or a non-plastic portion of the line, even better.

2. keep the camera plugged in. You will be placing an alternating current on the cable. It needs to make it to ground in both directions. (The ground on the push cable occures due to having so much of it in contact with the pipe and due to the metalic camera head being in contact with the pipe. The ground on the other end is the electrical system that you are plugged into). Moisture in the line you are tracing will also help create more signal.

3. Use an inductive signal clamp set at 33kHz or higher. (8kHz works great in clay or metalic lines). Use an inductive signal clamp wrapping it around the push cable just before it enters the opening. (I have also wrapped the push cable into a couple of loops so that multiple strands can be enclosed by the signal clamp, but the single strand seems to work well). Adding water to the line will help improve the ground which in turn improves the signal which in turn improves the locate.

4. Go locate the line at the appropriate frequency.

I have had success doing this in PVC as well as clay and metal lines.

Let us know if this helps.
      Mark F. Fleming<br />Product Manager<br />RIDGID/Kollmann

Comment

Re: Locating &quot;Bug&quot; by Rigid??

Thanks to both of you. I agree with Rick, but there are times when it would be helpful to have the whole cable energized with an external sonde or something. Might have to give your idea a try, Mark.
        "...then there was that dusky gal in Bangkok...real crossway breeder I swear"

Comment

Working...
        X