Outdoor gas shutoff valve?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor gas shutoff valve?

I have an external NG gas line for my Weber grille in the deck. The previous owner set this up back in 2000 when they remodel the kitchen. I want to change the shutoff valve since I have to replace the nipples to connect the Weber gas hose. Is there such a thing as an outdoor shutoff valve or will any gas shutoff valve will do?
    Last edited by zuffy; 01-17-2008, 05:22 PM.

Re: Outdoor gas shutoff valve?

If an approved valve was used in 2000 there really is no reason to put a new one in. If you do end up replacing it, an AGA or ULA stamp on the gas cock means its suitable for install on NG lines.
    West Trail Mechanical Ltd
    Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
      If an approved valve was used in 2000 there really is no reason to put a new one in. If you do end up replacing it, an AGA or ULA stamp on the gas cock means its suitable for install on NG lines.
      you canadians had it switched over to "cga" i think aga was dropped a number of years ago.

actually you might want to think about a quick disconnect that will allow for easy and save removal of the grill when you don't want it outside. these can be purchased as a set with the hose 10'. i believe h.d. sells them along with any good barbecue store.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        you canadians had it switched over to "cga" i think aga was dropped a number of years ago.

actually you might want to think about a quick disconnect that will allow for easy and save removal of the grill when you don't want it outside. these can be purchased as a set with the hose 10'. i believe h.d. sells them along with any good barbecue store.

rick.
        "CSA" ?
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          "CSA" ?

dam spell check missed it again

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

actually thats correct rick, CGA and Csa are both governing bodies, but CSA doesnt necessarily mean its good for use on NG lines. I put the AGA for his benefit, I'm assuming thats still a regulatory body?
            West Trail Mechanical Ltd
            Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Actually, I have the quick disconnect coupler that came provided with my Weber grill. The old valve is very tight to open and close, hence the idea of replacing it. But I didn't want to replace a valve if there is a specification for an outdoor version.

Will this valve from Home Depot be OK?
              [img]http://mysite.verizon.net/zuffy/valve.jpg[/img]

Here is the description:
              The universal valve for gas applications is the ball valve. The specifications for ball valves used on gas lines are different from those for water lines, but the construction and operation is similar. As the valve handle is turned to open the valve, the ball rotates to a point where part or all of the hole through the ball is in line with the valve body inlet and outlet, allowing gas to flow through the valve. Ball Valves are designed to be operated fully open or fully closed. They open and close quickly with just a quarter-turn, are simple, and are trouble free. When the ball is rotated so the hole is perpendicular to the flow openings of the valve body, the flow stops. Ball valves have fewer moving parts and are considered the most reliable.

Easy Quarter-Turn Operation
              For use with natural, LP (after a regulator), mixed and manufactured gases in normal residential and industrial low pressure heating and appliance applications
              May be used with water at pressures up to 175PSI
              Forged Brass Construction
              One-piece body
              Chrome plated forged brass ball
              Coated aluminum lever handle
              Fitting Name : Valve
              Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

that valve is fine. it's the newer style ball valve and they typically don't freeze up in gas applications. the one pictured is an approved gas valve.

most iron pipe size / threaded ball valves have an approval csa,cga,aga, and are rated for gas. this includes ones we normally use for water. the main difference is the handle/ lever. so if you want a larger lever, you can buy an approved threaded ball valve. just check the body for the approval stamps.

otherwise your valve pictured is fine.

i take it as a safety, you shut your valve while the webber is connected to the quick disconnect. very good idea

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for the help Rick. No, I will disconnect the quick disconnect too. I want to be double safe.

Comment

Working...
                  X