my sump pump won't stop kicking on

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my sump pump won't stop kicking on

my sump pump kicks on and won't stop. it's never functioned like this in the entire 5 years i've had it. it's been doing this for the past two weeks. their is no water in it and no water running through it when it kicks on. it's snowing and rainy. is this normal or is something malfunctioning? thanks, bryan

Re: my sump pump won't stop kicking on

Is there water in the sump several inches or more deep? Does it cycle on and off or just run constantly until you manually stop it? How do you stop it and does it start right up again? More info, please,

Comment

<<Is there water in the sump several inches or more deep? Does it cycle on and off or just run constantly until you manually stop it? How do you stop it and does it start right up again? More info, please,>>

hey thanks for the quick reply. there is no water in the sump. it cycles on seemingly for no reason and it runs until i unplug it. when i plug it back in it starts again. it looks like it has a device similar to that in a toilet to guage when the water gets too high and that appears to be resting on the ground. other than that i don't know what anything else is supposed to be doing in there. =)

Comment

Most likely you need a new float switch for your pump. Please post the brand and model so we might check out the pump for what type of switch it has.

Comment

where would the brand name and model # be. i looked all around but couldn't see anything? thanks

Comment

Isn't there a name place on the pump somewhere? If not, then maybe you best just get rid of it and buy a good new pump. Some plastic sump pumps had sticky back labels in place of a more proper name plate. If it came off you're out of luck.

Comment

ok i looked againg but only saw a serial number. there was no other visible labels inside the pump, just on the pvc, but i think that was just describing the type of piping it was.

anyway, i shut off the pump and water started to fill in the hole. i plugged the pump back in and it looked like the floating bulb was supposed to flip the lever above it but it was just resting on it. what is supposed to happen to kick on the pump? how much is a new pump? thanks

Comment

Working...
              X