X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing code, Mesa AZ

Hey guys, I'm a sparky, I am looking to do some home repairs. Any AZ plumbers out there?

Re: Plumbing code, Mesa AZ

I am not an Arizona Plumber but I did spend the night at the Super8 on Gilbert Road in Mesa. All kidding aside Arizona uses the same plumbing code as California and Nevada. There are several here who could help you.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

The national code is typically the minimum standard. AHJ will sometimes have slightly different code for certain applications.

I am looking to replace service supply main running from meter to home. The original supply is that blue plastic crap that leaks. I am going to run copper, I need to know what type and at what depth is code in Mesa AZ, also going to replace the POS gate valves with ball valves.

Thanks

Comment

The UPC requires 12" below finished grade for water service yard piping.

Comment

I would go at least 18" burial...
          I would use type K soft for the run - probably 3/4" (type L would work as well)...
          The copper is going to be fairly pricey but will last forever...

Comment

Originally posted by markts30 View Post
            I would go at least 18" burial...
            I would use type K soft for the run - probably 3/4" (type L would work as well)...
            The copper is going to be fairly pricey but will last forever...
            That's some expensive copper,is it required in your local area because of bad soil eroding copper.If I had good soil and a trencher I'd go 24".Then again I won't have do any work on it in the future.

Comment

What is the difference between type "K" and "L" copper, besides price?

I will use whatever will keep me from ever having to fix it again. Being a sparky, digging aint my favorite kinda work.

On the ball valves, I see there are 2 types, solder and threaded, any preferences for easy of installation or if service is needed at valve?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by waterdog View Post
                What is the difference between type "K" and "L" copper, besides price?
                price is one factor. availability is another. and the real difference is the wall thickness. the k is thicker than l. all the o.d's are the same, so that makes the i.d slightly smaller on the k. typically the pipe is not the issue. it's the 90's that are the issue.

I will use whatever will keep me from ever having to fix it again. Being a sparky, digging aint my favorite kinda work.

On the ball valves, I see there are 2 types, solder and threaded, any preferences for easy of installation or if service is needed at valve?

Thanks
                for a sparky that isn't use to solder pipes, i would go with threaded ball valves and male adapters. this way you don't burn the valve or packing and down the road you could easily unscrew the valve if needed.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  for a sparky that isn't use to solder pipes, i would go with threaded ball valves and male adapters. this way you don't burn the valve or packing and down the road you could easily unscrew the valve if needed.

rick.
                  Before becoming a sparky, I repaired automotive radiators copper/brass, for 6 years. I may just go with the threaded and adaptors to minimize the possibility of ruining the valves.

Do you mean the 90s at the attachment points at house and meter?
                  The copper going up into the shutoff, is around a 24" sweep, And I have plenty of room in the yard to do the same at the meter.

Comment

Originally posted by waterdog View Post
                    Before becoming a sparky, I repaired automotive radiators copper/brass, for 6 years. I may just go with the threaded and adaptors to minimize the possibility of ruining the valves.

Do you mean the 90s at the attachment points at house and meter?
                    The copper going up into the shutoff, is around a 24" sweep, And I have plenty of room in the yard to do the same at the meter.
                    To keep your solder joints to a minimum you can use the soft roll copper(type "L" should be adequate,check your area) and solder threaded adapters on your needed length.Because the copper is soft you can roll the pipe up to the house manifold location,carefull it kinks easy.The meter should have a union that will let you spin a fitting.If you have a regulator at the house,this will supply the union at that end for threading the opposing joints.

Comment

I would get way from using Copper. In all the homes I have worked on we used PVC. We used copper when it was coming up out of the ground and would be exposed to sunlight. We transitioned with couplings and schedule 80 nipples into female copper adapters. With plastic The top of the pipe should be 18"(out of shovel range) down and you should run 18 guage wire along the pipe to trace the location in the future.

Arizona lets the towns and counties handle the permits and code stuff.

Mesa has adopted the ICC codes and are currently under the 2006 versions.
                      Last edited by EasyEman; 08-05-2009, 10:17 AM. Reason: new info

Comment

send me a private e-mail
                        I recently re-plumed my home in Glendale AZ
                        The plumber I used is excellent.

I replaced galvanized pipe with wisbro-pex.
                        I also replaced the pvc plastic run from the meter with wisbro-pex.

The plumber was very "neat" digging up the front yard.

Cactus Man

Comment

Most plumbers are not very neat at digging *grins* Around here we have to use Type K soft copper for our underground and no solder joints underground, has to be flared. To bad my information probably doesn't help much since codes vary from state to state so much. I hope you find a good plumber down in AZ.
                          Last edited by SewerRatz; 08-06-2009, 09:06 AM. Reason: Made comment semi-valid to post
                          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

PVC would certainly be easier to run and a whole lot cheaper than copper.

Comment

Working...
                            X