X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleanout for sink drain

I can't find a clear cut answer for this, and the plumbing inspector won't be available until Tuesday.

If I put a cleanout in the drain line for a lavatory in the vertical pipe just above the san tee for the P trap, is that the only CO I need in that line? I can't find UPC references or illustrations for cleanouts at the P trap entry point. Many of the illustrations and discussions I find, including the Code Check book I have, indicate a CO is usually placed in the back of a combo wye where the drain changes from vertical to horizontal. I want to use a long sweep ell and not a wye. I can't have cleanouts in my crawl space. The horizontal part of the 1 1/2" drain only runs about 5' to where it joins a 3" drain. The 3" will have a CO at the end outside the foundation. UPC applies.

In relation to this, what is the official definition of "upper terminal" as it relates to horizontal drains and cleanouts?

Re: Cleanout for sink drain

Originally posted by dmaceld View Post
    I can't find a clear cut answer for this, and the plumbing inspector won't be available until Tuesday.

If I put a cleanout in the drain line for a lavatory in the vertical pipe just above the san tee for the P trap, is that the only CO I need in that line? I can't find UPC references or illustrations for cleanouts at the P trap entry point. Many of the illustrations and discussions I find, including the Code Check book I have, indicate a CO is usually placed in the back of a combo wye where the drain changes from vertical to horizontal. I want to use a long sweep ell and not a wye. I can't have cleanouts in my crawl space. The horizontal part of the 1 1/2" drain only runs about 5' to where it joins a 3" drain. The 3" will have a CO at the end outside the foundation. UPC applies.

In relation to this, what is the official definition of "upper terminal" as it relates to horizontal drains and cleanouts?
    Generally speaking your lav cleanout tee would be below the lav sanitary tee although it can be installed either location.

Think of the upper terminal as the "end of the line cleanout". If you cannot install an upper terminal cleanout the code allows you to install a two-way cleanout at the low end of your drainage system where it exits the building.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      Generally speaking your lav cleanout tee would be below the lav sanitary tee although it can be installed either location.

Mark
      I read somewhere, maybe this forum, where a plumber said he likes to see the clean out above the san tee. This lets him run hot water the same time he's snaking the line. Helps flush the line and cleans the snake. Doesn't have stinky snakes laying around in his truck! Sounds reasonable to me.

[quote=ToUtahNow;117031
      Think of the upper terminal as the "end of the line cleanout". If you cannot install an upper terminal cleanout the code allows you to install a two-way cleanout at the low end of your drainage system where it exits the building.

Mark[/quote]

That's what I had pretty much figured out as far as the main building drain goes. How is it defined in relation to branch lines? Same thing, wherever the cleanout is?

Comment

I read somewhere, maybe this forum, where a plumber said he likes to see the clean out above the san tee. This lets him run hot water the same time he's snaking the line. Helps flush the line and cleans the snake. Doesn't have stinky snakes laying around in his truck! Sounds reasonable to me.

That's what I had pretty much figured out as far as the main building drain goes. How is it defined in relation to branch lines? Same thing, wherever the cleanout is?
        Installing a cleanout above your san-tee is fine if you have the room but under a sink cabinet it may end up to high to use.

I install cleanouts at the end of every line (unless the end of the line is a fixture with a cleanout) and at most fixtures.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Although a cleanout is a good idea, the UPC does not require a cleanout on branch lines less than 5' (with the exception of urinals and sinks).
          the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
            Although a cleanout is a good idea, the UPC does not require a cleanout on branch lines less than 5' (with the exception of urinals and sinks).
            A lavatory is, or is not, considered a sink? What about a laundry tub?

Comment

A lavatory is, or is not, considered a sink? What about a laundry tub?
              A lav. is not a sink, a laundry tub is.
              the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                A lav. is not a sink, a laundry tub is.
                Thanks. Good to know. I don't have a copy of the UPC but I do have the Code Check book and several chapters of the "Pre-print" version of the UPC dated 2004. Couldn't find that distinction anywhere. IAPMO sure does a good job of keeping any kind of repro of the UPC off the 'net.

I may just change the planned location of the 3" line to be within the 5' limit for the lav. If I decide to go ahead and put the cleanout in, it'll be gratis.

Comment

Working...
                X