Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slight leak

It never ends!

There is a VERY slight leak at the point where the Thermal Expansion Tank meets the 'T'. I called the plumber about it Friday and left a message. I have not heard back from him! I even told him to just call me to tell me what to do so he doesn't have to waste a trip out.

Since he won't call me back, I'm hoping you guys can point me the right way. I see a couple of options:

1) Simply try to tighten the tank further.
    2) Remove the tank and redo the teflon tape and add pipe dope, reinstall.

If I do #2 I'm not sure what, if anything, I need to do before I remove it. Obviously I need to turn off the water at the valve just above the tank. But do I need to drain any water from the Water Heater first? Will draining it via the T&P be sufficient? How much water should I drain? etc.

Thanks guys!

Re: Slight leak

Just turn the tank slightly till it stops leaking.

Don't overcomplicate the situation, JUST DO IT.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

should be able to tweak it till no more drips. if that doesnt work shut off the valve..... drain a little(so you dont get wet) through your tand p valve and maybe use a gas tape instead of teflon. (gas tape is thicker) good luck!

Chris
      if u cant bedazzle em with briliance, baffle em with bulls&*t

Comment

I tighten it. It was already quite tight. It didn't help. The plumber called me back after I left a 2nd message today. He's coming tomorrow AM to "pull it off, put new teflon tape on it and some pipe dope"

Comment

There's a chance, and I've done this before, but I've cracked the FIP before that the expansion tank screws into because I wanted to make sure it didn't leak....and indirectly I broke the fitting as a result.

Sometimes the thread bore on the expansion tank is extremely long and over threads into the fitting. This will cause the same problem as well.

Either way it's a easy fix; just unsolder the FIP and install a new one to fix the problem, be a little more careful on the next one.

If that tank is installed perpendicular to the water line then it must be strapped. Tank should also be installed between the cold water inlet valve and the top of the tank. That's what code requires in my state of KY.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
            If that tank is installed perpendicular to the water line then it must be strapped.
            The day the guy installed it I asked if it needed a strap, he said no. It is perpendicular to the water line. Meaning, the water line goes straight up from the top of the tank toward the ceiling and a T was put in and the tank screws in from the side. Looks like this:

|
            | ____
            |-|____|
            |
            |

When he comes tomorrow morning, should I tell him to put a strap on it? I don't want to sound like I'm trying to tell him how to do his job.

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
            Tank should also be installed between the cold water inlet valve and the top of the tank. That's what code requires in my state of KY.
            It is.

Comment

Ask him how installing the tank in this fashion, when the tank fails and fills up with water @ 8-1/3 pounds per gallon.....2.5 gallon tank puts an undo strain on that connection back to the water line and not cause problems.

That's nearly 20 pounds forcing down on that threaded connection when they fail, and they will fail without you knowing. Bladder ruptures and fills the entire tank with water, heavy.

I'm going to brag here for a minute but I got codes changed in my area personally by going to a panel of inspectors explaining what I see on the service side of plumbing on a daily basis and seeing how these tanks really cause problems when they're not strapped.

I've seen people hang ST-12's in this fashion and it bows the pipe even though it's copper.

But now new construction and all remodel jobs have to strap their tanks due to my suggestion/complaint to resolve the problem. A .20 cent strap isn't going to kill the new construction plumbers to do it right and prevent a piping problem with the install of a thermal expansion tank. Support
              Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 01-21-2008, 10:39 PM.

Comment

He came on time this morning. I asked him to put a support strap on it, and he did. He also cured the leak.

Comment

Working...
                X