X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DWV Drawing

Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: DWV Drawing

hard to read on my laptop. is there something i'm missing?

can't read the fine print.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

$200,000

I'll need the 10% upon inking.

Fixtures,valves and trim by others.

Comment

This guy sent me this drawing because he's telling me the inspector gave him this mock drawing to study for his masters and he wanted me to check it to see if it was kosher or not.

I can already see that the building drain is 5" and the vent stack serving the groups to the left is showing a 3" VTR.....wtf?

So that right there is the problem; inspector is giving him bad instruction which makes it very hard to pass the isometric drawing if you're a horse being led to bad water.

This image shot across to my outlook express and the image is HUGE....but this site won't load it because of it's size and photobucket automatically resizes down to what you see.

Anyone have a photo site I can join and bring images at full size?

Comment

email it to me and I will see what I can do for you...
          (will have to be tonight...)

email address removed by admin to protect mark from spam
          Last edited by Josh; 01-23-2008, 10:09 AM. Reason: removed email address.

Comment

From what I've been able to make of it, there's a 3" VTR on the left of the drawing and a 4" VTR on the right side that vents the bulk of the fixtures.

Comment

Couldn't read the dwg, too small. even tried downloading to my computer and then zooming in, image just breaks up as it becomes pixelated.

Where (what state/code) is this diagram drawn to?
              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Dunbar,Maybe it would be easier if you just draw an iso showing your mains with total fixture counts in the questionable areas.Maybe break it into numbered quardrants.

You don't need five inch pipe size through the roof out here.He has a 3" and a 4" more than enough cross sectional area for the five inch main waste exiting the building.

Comment

Here is the full size drawing for you guys to play with....
                  http://members.cox.net/m.slusar/dwv(2).jpg

Comment

the resolution and readability is gone.

it needs to be darkened up.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

MarkST's rendition is clear.
                      In my state the vtr has to be the same size as the main, full size all the way. We can't break it into smaller portions because it's subject to hoar frost.
                      It all depends on local code, not sure I'd tell the fella it's wrong unless you know his code.

Comment

if i only open it a section at a time it's good.

i see no 2'' vents for the toilets.

i see a pump with a 4'' discharge connected to a 4'' gravity line. should enter downstream and from the top.

lots of 1.25'' vents, that we never use here.

rick.

i'm sure there is plenty more, but i'll let others have fun
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Example, we use 1-1/4" vents...though not often, they're allowed on 2" fixtures or less.
                          We could tell him the prints are pathetic, yet it could be to code in his state.
                          Sounds like the guy wants to pass the test, best he ask someone from his jurisdiction.
                          Last edited by DuckButter; 01-23-2008, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                            MarkST's rendition is clear.
                            In my state the vtr has to be the same size as the main, full size all the way. We can't break it into smaller portions because it's subject to hoar frost.
                            It all depends on local code, not sure I'd tell the fella it's wrong unless you know his code.
                            KY STATE CODE

Page 96 Section 20 (b)

But this drawing is over 45'

Page 95 Section 20 (a) << no telescoping on a main vent

Page 93 Section 10 (1) << what this means is that if the building drain is 5" and your total DFU allows say.....4", you cannot telescope that line serving as the main stack.

They want that undimished through the roof.

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            if i only open it a section at a time it's good.

i see no 2'' vents for the toilets.

i see a pump with a 4'' discharge connected to a 4'' gravity line. should enter downstream and from the top.

lots of 1.25'' vents, that we never use here.

rick.

i'm sure there is plenty more, but i'll let others have fun
                            KY STATE CODE

page 89

On a flow control on a grease trap, code minimum is 3/4" in the literary sense IF they wanted to get particular.

Masters/Journeyman test in KY is always sized to minimum standard and even though 1.25/2.5/5" is not common sized material....you have to know it to pass the test.

Toilets are 6 DFU's in KY and 1.5" carries 10 DFU's on the venting side of the equation. Back to back toilets would be 2" vent minimum. *12 DFU's*

Lavs/drinking fountains are 1 DFU and since both can be drained @ 1.25",,, they can be vented similar.

This guy fired a email back to me that he just can't see a 12" main at a hospital requiring a 12" VTR on that building.

If it is over 45' and it's the main stack, it has to be because you cannot telescope.

In big houses with 5-9 bathrooms you have to equalize the stacks over the number of DFU total. This is what the inspectors require and this is where a particular inspector's interpretation can be questioned, depending on how they interpret the code. << This is a topic that sails over my head as it's more opinion of a code and how people interpret the meaning....which always leads to discussion.

All this stuff above is stuff I know from years ago as a new construction plumber. No way in hell a service plumber stand alone could manage the focus of these systems by doing service only in their career, no way. This guy is asking me for advice and I'd like to tote that I know a great deal of knowledge but I'm stretching back into years ago which calls me rusty.

I'm going to start going to these code refresher courses in my area on a yearly basis as I'll need it when I become a plumbing inspector.

I'm going to be put in a variety of new construction situations involving commercial/residential/commercial and I'll need it for reference.

Can't guarantee this is the motion I carry through with *plumbing inspector* but I can see giving 10 years in a government paid job a nice padding for retirement....insurance.
                            Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 01-23-2008, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post

They want that undimished through the roof.
                              Same here, also Rick pointed out something that would be a no-no in my code...ejectors must be the last fixture tying into a waste main.
                              The way that one is set up, it could get ugly in a heavy use scenario.

Comment

Working...
                              X