Curiosity question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Curiosity question

I'd like to see what (if any) air pressure difference there is between the outside air and the air in the jerry can as it pours. Seems to me there would have to be a lower pressure in the can even with the 1/8" vent open.

We vent like we do to keep an equal pressure on both sides of P-traps, to prevent siphonage.
    Brent

Comment

I am not saying that the more flow that there is not a difference of air pressure, but air can flow faster and equalize faster than water or fluids, was my point,

not saying that having a full area is not better but I would guess one could down size and not see much difference, in actual practice, (not that I am recommending it or suggesting it).

It is jsut like draining out the wand on my power washer, If I put it tip down the unit will not drain through the small orifice on the high pressure tip, but if I put the wand up with the tip in the air it will drain out fine, as air will flow in the pin hole size orifice easier than the liquids can pass through it. yes it would drain much faster if I would remove the tip all together,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

BHD, Exactly why I asked the question!! I am not advocating anything other than what code calls for, but just trying to figure out why. It sure would have made framing easier with a 2" vent stack rather than a 4". BAPlumber, I will bet you a beer that if you take a 2"
        trap connected to a 2" drain and vent it with a 3/4" pipe, you will never siphon out the trap.

Comment

I think it has to do with allowing sufficient air flow to ensure nearly equal pressures on both sides of the traps...
          In the gas can example, you are forming a partial vacuum in the can which causes the air coming in to race (even "whistle")... In a plumbing system this differential in pressure could cause the traps to be siphoned or blown depending on which direction the gradient is in... In the past (memory fades...LOL) I remember hearing the figure 1" WC pressure differential allowed when designing systems... (that is a very low pressure difference - about .04psi)... Even a slight restriction to air flow (undersized venting for example) could allow this pressure differential to occur.... This would reduce to 1/2 the depth of the common 2" trap seal...

Comment

in trade school we tried an esperement after a shop class opf dwv roghins was done. could a 1/2"copper pipe vent a full bathroom group all flushed or drain at once the answer is yes. the velocity of incoming air in the 1/2" was large and actually loud but it worked multiple time. not a realistic install for many reasons but puts perspective on things
            how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Hey proplumb I did that same thing with 3/4"
              West Trail Mechanical Ltd
              Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

The hissing sound coming from the 1/8" hole as you pour in the gas can example tells all.
                Picture a laundry sink in the basement thats seldom used, you have an undersized vtr.
                Every time you flush the toilet the trap weir in the basement laundry sink rocks, a little fluid is lost each time.
                Here in the north we have to keep the vtr full sized, same as the main to prevent frost buildup & closure.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                  The hissing sound coming from the 1/8" hole as you pour in the gas can example tells all.
                  Picture a laundry sink in the basement thats seldom used, you have an undersized vtr.
                  Every time you flush the toilet the trap weir in the basement laundry sink rocks, a little fluid is lost each time.
                  Here in the north we have to keep the vtr full sized, same as the main to prevent frost buildup & closure.
                  When spec'd on a job out here,for the frost/snow the required fixture vent/vents were increased to two pipe sizes at or close to the roof for their penetration.
                  Last edited by drtyhands; 01-29-2008, 12:55 AM.

Comment

i NY many years a go when we had a 2" vent going out we had to increase it to 3" before it went out side
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                    X