X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me lay out basement bathroom waste lines

First of all, I'm having a licensed plumber come and make all the final connections, but I want to have it all laid out, dry fit and inspected before he comes.

On the top right is a shower, top left you can see the closet flange, and on the bottom left will be a lav.

So, in the first pic, the lav would tap into the cast iron separately. (I don't have the right parts for the lav connection, so that little 2" pipe is just symbolic.) But in that long 2" shower run, can the 2" wye in the middle serve as a vent for both the shower and the closet?
    In my state, I think I'm reading correctly that code says that with 2" pipe, the vent has to be within five feet of the trap, and mine is three feet away.

And pic number two, a plumber told me to forget the top right wye vent. That the 2" waste pipe coming from the lav, if vented, can serve as a vent for all three fixtures.

I know that neither of these layouts is very efficient/legal, so please set me straight.

Attachment

Attachment
    Attached Files

Re: Help me lay out basement bathroom waste lines

Curious to why your asking us how to lay out your bathroom if your going to be having a lisenced plumber come out and do the work?
    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
      Curious to why your asking us how to lay out your bathroom if your going to be having a lisenced plumber come out and do the work?
      I'm a carpenter, I've never done this before, so I'm having one of my subcontractors come and do the final connections. I would typically sub out the entire job, but this bath is in my own house and I'd like to get my hands wet. Since I'm not passing the bill on to a client, this plumber is cutting his rates in half for me. Due to this discount, it's more of a favor for him to come over and help me out than any real profitable work. So, instead of having him waste his time driving all the way over to my house just to tell me that I need to bust out four more feet of concrete to re-route the vent, which means he'd have to leave and come back another day, I want to have it ready for him to just come in and bang it out.
      I've read so many threads in this section of the forum where you guys won't give advice, saying
      "I won't give you advice because this is over your head. Call a pro." This makes sense, you are protecting people from doing something unsafe.
      And so first thing I say in my thread is that I'm going to have a pro come in at the end to make sure I don't screw this up, and your response is,
      "I won't give you advice because you're going to call a pro."
      Does the term Catch-22 come to mind?

Comment

just took a quick peak at the fittings you have laid out

the toilet needs a vent and so does the shower/ tub.

so a drawing would help us determine what you're planning on installing.

there was a homeowner last week that posted a great series of pictures and asked tons on questions. he did a class a job on his own house layout. only issue was a flat vent on his toilet and he got mixed reviews of it.

as a do it yourselfer, he did a professional job.

now back to your job

let the plumber help you lay it out and then do all the grunt work. i'm worried that you're off to a bad start with what i see already. i might be wrong, but i don't want to tell you to rip it all out either.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          let the plumber help you lay it out and then do all the grunt work.
          rick.
          I did have a plumber lay it out for me. Pic number two in the original post was his layout. I went to the plumbing supply shop and the self-proclaimed veteran plumber laid out all the fittings on the floor in that arrangement. It just seemed fishy to me that a lav waste line could serve as a vent for three fixtures in that situation. Which is why I took pics and came here.
          just took a quick peak at the fittings you have laid out i'm worried that you're off to a bad start with what i see already. i might be wrong, but i don't want to tell you to rip it all out either.
          rick.
          This is exactly the information I'm asking for; WHY is it a bad start, how do I fix it. Nothing is cut or glued, there's nothing to rip out. Aside from the trench, it's still a blank slate.
          a drawing would help us determine what you're planning on installing.
          rick.
          I'm a little confused, is this what you're asking for?
          Attachment
          Attached Files

Comment

Depending on the code in your area the layout in your first pic may be acceptable. Your first pic is an example of the classic "wet vented bathroom group".
            You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

with the 4'' waste line running through the ditch. you can connect the lav with it's own 4 x 1.5'' comby or 4 x 2'' is nicer.

the toilet needs to be properly vented and not flat vented. the shower needs to be either tied into the 4'' or downstream from the toilet that is properly vented. i can't see a wet vent on the shower since you would need a 3'' wet vented section and more elevation to stack a san tee.

we don't wet vent on a flat vent. the wet vent requires a vent section 2 pipe sizes larger than the vent only. so in this case the section between the toilet and the shower would require a 3'' connection.

i think it's time for another plumber to help you out since i don't see what the first one has done properly

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

That's a mess.

Roll the drains to a studded wall on the back side of picture, pick up a vent on each and every fixture and you'll never have problems with it.

Wet venting is disaster just waiting to happen....keeps drain cleaners employed like me.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Thanks guys.
                  Back to the supply house...

Comment

As well, tell us how much depth you have to work with...
                    How far below the bottom of the slab is the top of the pipe?
                    The more depth you have, the easier it will be...

Comment

Pic 2 is good to go. Wet vented bath group. Make sure your 2" wye is within 5' feet of the trap, and make sure the 4x3 wye is 40" from the base of the stack. When the walls get roughed in, keep the 2" vent continuous after your san tee for the lav. Your wet vent is ok flat because it gets washed out. No sense in over complicating things.

Comment

I have 8 inches between the top of the floor and the top of the cast iron. That's pretty good, isn't it?
                        And all the distances that sweatthepipe mentioned are kosher.
                        It actually looks like it will be less demo if I connect the lav on its own like Rick suggested, so that decides that.
                        I'm getting busy at work, so it might be a while before I can show you results pics.
                        Thanks for all your help.
                        Just like you guys, I've seen some scary stuff get passed just because the inspector wasn't thorough, and I don't want my house to be one of those casualties. Bringing my projects here puts them through a higher level of scrutiny.

Comment

Originally posted by sweatthepipe View Post
                          Pic 2 is good to go. Wet vented bath group. Make sure your 2" wye is within 5' feet of the trap, and make sure the 4x3 wye is 40" from the base of the stack. When the walls get roughed in, keep the 2" vent continuous after your san tee for the lav. Your wet vent is ok flat because it gets washed out. No sense in over complicating things.

good call. this is a newer code here since our upc code acceptance jan. 1 08. never knew we would allow horizontal wet venting. but it's very similar to a combination waste, vent system.

personally i wouldn't use it, but if it's allowed then it's allowed.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I still don`t think it is advisable to tell non plumbers how to do plumbing but I feel from looking at the photos and drawings that I have gone back to the stone age when I did my apprentiship in the sixties as we in Australia have a uniform plumbing code where every state is the same and venting what is that our by laws allow us to go off from a main drain which is vented at either end 8.5 meters or 26 feet from the fartherest trap without a vent and are called unvented branch drains, they are either layed in ground in pvc under a slab or suspended under the foor with one vent at the end of the drain and one ORG overflow relief gully.

Regards
                            Tony

Comment

The consensus amongst you all seemed to be that my "wet vented bathroom group", while not ideal, is sufficient. So unless anyone sees any more glaring errors in this new pic, I'm going to call in the cavalry.
                              Attachment
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X