X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purpose of a bushing?

Obviously to reduce size. I failed a gas line install inspection today because I used a 1"x1/2" bushing. The inspector wanted to see a reducer. So if you can't use them on gas, water or DWV, what are they for?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Purpose of a bushing?

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Obviously to reduce size. I failed a gas line install inspection today because I used a 1"x1/2" bushing. The inspector wanted to see a reducer. So if you can't use them on gas, water or DWV, what are they for?
    For compressed air systems? Up north here we can use bushings on gas but they can't be nested and they can't be used to reduce more than 1 pipe size. A reducer is prefered here aswell. Street elbows are prohibited on gas here.
    You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

I used a street elbow and it was no problem. Why can't you use them in your area?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

ben, the possible issue of a bushing is splitting. typically if you reduce more than 1 pipe size, it's ok.

the funny part is our gas company uses them all the time without any issues.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Bushings are a no-no. Bell reducers are the only legal fitting allowed aside from reducing tees or 90's.

The inspectors frown on the use of street fittings in gas line systems as well.

Close nipples without a band of what was the original pipe wall thickness will fail as well.

They want the end user the ability to easily wrench the connection. Also the fact that if a bushing would leak, the jaws of a wrench would have to be super small in order to grasp the fitting without the turning of the one behind it.

It also prevents the use of installers "stacking" bushings to achieve the pipe size change.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I just looked in IFGS and couldn't find a thing about either one being a prohibited fitting.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

As explained to me they don't let you use them as there is no way to accurately tell if the fitting in malleable iron or cast iron... Malleable iron bushings would be OK but cannot be differentiated from cast after installation... Cast iron ones are prohibited in all cases with fuel gas...
              In the 2006 upc...
              1209.5.8.4 Metallic Fittings (Including
              Valves, Strainers, Filters). [NFPA 54:
              5.6.8.4]
              (5) Cast-Iron Fittings.
              (a) Flanges shall be permitted.
              (b) Bushings shall not be used.

Last edited by markts30; 01-23-2008, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Under the UPC bushings are only prohibited on fuel gas piping.
                the dog

Comment

In addition to fuel gas if you guys have ever run a camera through a drain with bushings you will note they are not self-scouring. The newer ones have a little bit of a taper so they are not as bad but if you find the old ones there is always debri left behind.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

This is what I don't understand. Natural gas is a vapor as it goes through the lines and at a low pressure. Why would a fitting like a bushing inhibit flow? Mark, did I miss something in the IFGS about prohibited fittings in a gas line?
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Pretty much the same here, no bushings and no street ell's.

REgards,

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        Mark, did I miss something in the IFGS about prohibited fittings in a gas line?
                        Not sure about the IFGS but UPC prohibits cast bushings in fuel gas systems...
                        UPC
                        Sec.1209.5.8.4[NFPA 54:5.6.8.4]
                        5) Cast-Iron Fittings.
                        (b) Bushings shall not be used.

Comment

This is how it was explained to me back in the stone age. The theory is, when you join threaded pipe you change the shape of the pipe thread and the fitting as you tighten. If you install a bushing, what ever pipe or fitting that is attached first will mis-shape the bushing, giving a poor seal on the last pipe or fitting attached to the bushing. This is why you should not re-use fittings and pipe( unless you cut new threads(pipe only)).
                          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Hondahead View Post
                            For compressed air systems? Up north here we can use bushings on gas but they can't be nested and they can't be used to reduce more than 1 pipe size. A reducer is prefered here aswell. Street elbows are prohibited on gas here.
                            honda our code is the same as the states, it has to be used to reduce more than one pipe size that way the wall thickness is larger to prevent cracking
                            how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Originally posted by proplumb View Post
                              honda our code is the same as the states, it has to be used to reduce more than one pipe size that way the wall thickness is larger to prevent cracking

Yah, I know, thats what I was trying to say, my bad. Substitute can for can't.
                              You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Working...
                              X