Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a rigid pipe in a toilet fill line bad?

I found this forum via Google and after looking around I think this is the place for my question.

Let's say I'm renting this place that has a toilet with a rigid cold water pipe instead of a flex pipe. A friend of mine told me that's bad and that they should replace it, but I don't know how that would sound to the landlord.

The basic premise was a rigid pipe is stupid as the toilet itself will shift and move when a person sits down on it and gets up, and that a flex should be used. Is there a way I can say this in a way that will convince the landlord to swap out the (once leaking, they fixed it [in my opinion temporarily] by tightening it up) rigid pipe for a flex pipe?

Thanks

Re: Is a rigid pipe in a toilet fill line bad?

Your friend is right and sounds like a great guy.
    Put it to the landlord that if you sit on the toilet (Being a heavy-set guy) you're likely to cause a stress-fracture in the pipe which will leak and is likely to cause another flood like you had upstairs the day you moved in.

Comment

My friend is also apparently a member of these boards.

Comment

Not that big of an issue. I've removed ridgid supply risers that were over 30 years old with no signs of leakage. My area is prevelant with these risers as we have a lot of pex and cpvc and the ridgid risers provide additional horizontal support.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I too have seen a lot of rigid supplies on water closets with no apparent problems.

Regards,
          Last edited by biscuit; 01-24-2008, 10:08 AM. Reason: cant seem to spell correctly today!

Comment

Not ridgid, rigid. Hard. Solid. Metal. Not flexable.

Comment

That's a chrome feed,there great quality ,leave it!
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Phonic View Post
                Your friend is right and sounds like a great guy.
                Put it to the landlord that if you sit on the toilet (Being a heavy-set guy) you're likely to cause a stress-fracture in the pipe which will leak and is likely to cause another flood like you had upstairs the day you moved in.

I love this. A computer Tech. advises a poster to battle his landlord on a plumbing issue.

1) A toilet should not shift and move. If it does it needs to be re-set.

2) Rigid pipe is legal for this installation.

3) See opinions from the real plumbers above.
                the dog

Comment

flexible, braided lines have only been around for the last 30 years. toilets have been around a whole lot longer.

most commercial installations still use chrome ridgid risers.

the issues sounds more like a loose toilet tank, than a piping issue. if the tank is loose and you lean back, the connector will have to flex in order to keep from leaking.

sure a flex is a better idea for your application. but fixing your real problem is even better.

a flex is a $5.00 part and takes even a novice a minute to install. a ridgid riser takes a pro to install, as it has to be properly cut and bent.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

[quote=plumbdog10;117779]I love this. A computer Tech. advises a poster to battle his landlord on a plumbing issue.

1) A toilet should not shift and move. If it does it needs to be re-set.

2) Rigid pipe is legal for this installation.

3) See opinions from the real plumbers above.[/quote]

good morning dog

just need to bump this down to include my post as you were posting yours.

glad us plumbers are all on the same page

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                      I love this. A computer Tech. advises a poster to battle his landlord on a plumbing issue.

I knew someone would say it, I just didn't want it to be me

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        flexible, braided lines have only been around for the last 30 years. toilets have been around a whole lot longer.

most commercial installations still use chrome ridgid risers.

rick.

Yep, we still use them everyday.

Comment

I have some weird feeling this will become a kid eating soap thread. I hope I'm wrong.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I am not a plumber so I will not comment on the OP's question even though I have seen lots of the rigid tubes used. But where did the OP say he was a big guy?
                            SSG, U.S. Army
                            Retired
                            K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

He didn't say he was a big guy, the second poster did, if you read the first two posts over, its obvious that the second poster is the "friend".

Comment

Working...
                              X