Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix cable flip in Kollmann drum auger?

Hello,

My father has a Rigid Kollmann drum auger that looks like an older model of the K-400. Here's a similar unit I found on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320210007275

The cable has become flipped over inside the drum and can't be pulled out because it loops under other sections of itself.

Any tips on getting this un-flipped so I can replace the cable?

I was thinking of pulling it out as far as I could and cutting it, then pulling the now short end under the overlapping sections.

Also, anyone know the model of this unit? I wanted to find out what length/diameter cables it can accommodate.

Thanks for any help,
    Jay

Re: Fix cable flip in Kollmann drum auger?

the machine is the older k380. it was a common issue.

i would get a a bolt cutter and cut anything you can access through the drum. or the guide tube.

also spraying a lot of oil into the drum should help ease the friction so you can pull on the cable.

a 3/8'' x 75' cable was what was supplied.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

When I worked at a rental store in the 80's people would bring them back like that all twisted in the drum. If there is a bolt on the back of the drum that is holding in the end of the cable undo it, if it is rusted take a grinder and cut the head off. Then like Rick said we would spray in wd40 or oil. Then look at the cable to determine the rotation that is needed to unwind it because you are just doing the opposite of what the last user did to get it all wound. You need leather gloves and to be very very carfull as it will try to catch your fingers and hands because of all the spring tension. Most of the time one of the circles of cable is actually acting like a knot on the others like chineese handcuffs. We even would but the end of the cable in a vise and turn it in forward or reverse and have 2 guys pull on the frame. But sometimes when you got it out the cable would be so damaged it was useless.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

$250 with shipping,and You may end up buying a new cable! Not a super deal,is it?
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          the machine is the older k380. it was a common issue.

i would get a a bolt cutter and cut anything you can access through the drum. or the guide tube.
          The cable is kinked quite a bit anyway, some places at a 90 degree angle, so I'll just start chopping.

The K-380 styling looks newer than this unit. Should that matter for the cable used?

I looked in the K-380 and saw that it can use:

Model No. Description
          C-31 IW 3/8" x 50' w/Solid Core Cable
          C-32 IW 3/8" x 75' w/Solid Core Cable
          C-44 IW 1/2" x 50' w/Solid Core Cable
          C-45 IW 1/2" x 75' w/Solid Core Cable

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          $250 with shipping,and You may end up buying a new cable! Not a super deal,is it?
          No kidding. I'm glad this one was free.

Thanks for the fast response everyone!

-Jay

Comment

Jay, you may have a K-375 unit. Look on the serial plate on the frame below the motor where the drum mounts. As far as cables go, the 375 used IC instead of IW cables, thats the only difference.

Comment

Pitch it in the trash and call a sewer cleaner next time
              there is a reason that we are out here you know
              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Working...
              X