X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running underground water line

I own property which I will be building a new home on. The property shares a water well. I will need to run a water pipe 1500 feet to the building site. My question is, what size PVC do I need to run for the length I have to go. I believe Schedule 40 will be heavy enough but I have no clue what diameter.

Re: Running underground water line

We need to know how many fixtures to feed (sinks,bathtubs, toilets etc.)
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
      We need to know how many fixtures to feed (sinks,bathtubs, toilets etc.)
      5 toilets, 3 baths, and 7 sinks. Thanks

Comment

Is the well on your property or will you be using a well on someone else's property?
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Did you say the shared well is 1500 feet away?

Better to drill a new well closer to the house

Comment

The well is located 50 feet from my property line along the access road to my property. Just beyond that is federally protected land. There won't be anyone digging near the pipe once it is buried. This is a community well.
            Last edited by greasyrail; 01-25-2008, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              Did you say the shared well is 1500 feet away?

Better to drill a new well closer to the house
              The developer tried 2 test wells at more than 300 feet deep close to my property and came up short on GPM.

Comment

another consideration is the head loss and friction loss. how many feet is the pipe going uphill or downhill from the well elevation at ground level?

there might be a significant pressure loss or gain.

digging and trenching is the real expense. the pipe is the cheap part.

do you have irrigation or fire protection to include in this job?

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,

For the most part the pipe will be going at a slight up hill grade. I will have a survey done and have them shoot grades on the property. I'm just looking for a ballpark figure as far as pipe size to budget costs.
                  I will not have any fire protection or irrigation.

Comment

Your going to need one heck of a pump to push/pull that distance. If your that concerned about budget I'd start with what size pump you will need.

I'm NOT a plumbing expert but I would think you'd be better off using HDPE pipe rated for the amount of pressure your pump will be pushing.

Around here towns are starting to get strict about underground and Ariel trespass meaning you can't cross onto someones property with water/sewer lines or overhead wires. I don't know what your area is like but you may want to check it out. Just because thats the way it's always been done doesn't mean it's o.k. to do now. You may end up making a plan thats going to be shot down by code enforcement.

A few other tips when building on your own.
                    1. Figure how much something will cost then, double it.
                    2. Figure out how long something will take then, double it.
                    3. All those "friends" that claim they will help you: You minds well throw them a going away party because you won't be seeing them again until the house warming party.
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Working...
                    X